Butler cancellation a blessing | The Boneyard

Butler cancellation a blessing

Reaction Score
I think having the extra days of practice and rest before the TN game are more useful at this point in time than playing a bad team. Playing a team that doesn't present any challenge will not improve the team and would probably lead to both mental and physical bad habits. At least the coaching staff have some time to work on the things that need improvement, particularly on offense.

Reaction Score
Disagree. An easy game like this where players can get their confidence up and get in a groove is the type of game you want before a "hard" game. It would be one more game to establish chemistry. Also would have been the perfect time to work on getting Azzi 10 or 12 shots in a real game versus watching her knock down 25 in a row in practice. All while not breaking much of a sweat. Tonight would have been a nice practice+ type of game. Instead where do you think the players are tonight?

Reaction Score
Disagree. An easy game like this where players can get their confidence up and get in a groove is the type of game you want before a "hard" game. It would be one more game to establish chemistry. Also would have been the perfect time to work on getting Azzi 10 or 12 shots in a real game versus watching her knock down 25 in a row in practice. All while not breaking much of a sweat. Tonight would have been a nice practice+ type of game. Instead where do you think the players are tonight?
My experience is that when you play very bad teams you learn lazy habits, you don't get "in the groove". You get in a groove by practicing till it's automatic.

Reaction Score
My experience is that when you play very bad teams you learn lazy habits, you don't get "in the groove". You get in a groove by practicing till it's automatic.
Game time is more valuable than practice time. The practices have restrictions that don't exist in real games.

Reaction Score
We went thru this already. Everyone talking about the 3 BE games that supposedly built up confidence for the Oregon game. And then we stunk the farm. Confidence comes from playing well. Not from destroying lesser opponents. This is a not too common case where rest and preparation for a big game is more important than playing a game.

Reaction Score
I think having the extra days of practice and rest before the TN game are more useful at this point in time than playing a bad team. Playing a team that doesn't present any challenge will not improve the team and would probably lead to both mental and physical bad habits. At least the coaching staff have some time to work on the things that need improvement, particularly on offense.
Thank you for your opinion. Playing a team will not improve our team, what a disrespectful statement to make about Butler. I guess we allow people to just be rude whenever they want about other teams....

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Geno himself said (paraphrasing here) that no amount of practice can replicate a game in terms of learning. He said that going in the UMass opener last season. I think playing Butler would have been better for chemistry, confidence, and execution, than a couple extra days of practice.

Reaction Score
I still say, and I don't have 14 pages of statistical proof, that our schedule early on was one of the biggest culprits of our inconsistency. We didn't have enough games before SC. SC had 2 or 3 more games than us before that game in the Bahamas. We only had one game of any consequence prior to that, Arkansas. Then we had a beach break in the Bahamas. Then we had a light schedule after that break leading into Christmas. Then the kids went home for the Holidays. Sorry folks but hoop players don't go home for Christmas! I'm sure I'll catch flack for that but I stand by it. Then a Covid break (nothing you can do about that one). This season has had more stops and starts. The ideal for players and coaches is 2-3 games a week, every week!
Play, play, play, play....... Kids are playing better!!
(that's how I remember it, without bothering to look back) I know oldude, you think it's like that every year.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Fortunately "Geno's experience" has included playing in so called "Bad Leagues" for his entire career yet he's managed to win it all more than anyone else. Guess all those lazy habits haven't been too much of a problem.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The valuable experience in playing another team, no matter how bad, is the other team is trying to defend with an effort that practice players do not have. There are no fouls in practice, no ref's bad calls, no opportunity to steal the ball and go for a layup. Practice is for durability, positive stress and calculative thinking. I really wanted to see that game.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your opinion. Playing a team will not improve our team, what a disrespectful statement to make about Butler. I guess we allow people to just be rude whenever they want about other teams....
Perhaps a little over the top. I might not have said it in those exact words but let’s face it, we would have been prohibitive favorites against Butler. As for the rest of the post, I have to agree that the cancellation is probably a good thing as it relates to playing Tennessee. It gives them more time to install their game plan, ensures they will be well rested, and removes any possibility of injury in the game. I would have to also agree that in this particular instance they (our team) will get more out of the extra two days of practice for that specific game than they would have gotten from playing Butler. As you said, it was an opinion but not imo an attack/insult toward Butler. Don’t get me wrong though, I would rather have played the Butler game because we need the games to qualify for the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The kids practice a lot, games this season, not so much. In practice, who is trying to win? Who is smacking you in the face? Who is trying to make you look really bad? Don't say the male practice players. I have to believe they are pretty well restrained to minimize injuries. You get adversity in games, even against over matched teams.

Reaction Score
Geno himself said (paraphrasing here) that no amount of practice can replicate a game in terms of learning. He said that going in the UMass opener last season. I think playing Butler would have been better for chemistry, confidence, and execution, than a couple extra days of practice.
For most of this playing season the Huskies have played 4-5 fewer games than the field. We are behind in development further impacted by the loss of key players, covid and now a weather postponement. The only good I see here is that the current pace of schedule has allowed more healing time. Game time can't be duplicated by practice. In golf, there are many great range players but get them on the course in game time and you really see how good they are. Most aren't! It's one thing to put up 100 foul shots in practice but to make one in crunch time is the mark of determination.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that the cancellation. was a blessing for Butler. It also kept our fans who planned to attend off of potentially icy roads, so there is that. Bet dollars to donuts our players were quite disappointed even if tired. They live to play these games and it only added another “oh crap” to a disjointed season.

Reaction Score
I had been praying for the return of players like Nika, Paige, Azzi, and more... but it looks like I should have been praying for the cancellation of Butler game this entire time. Glad to see the "real" Blessing occurred

sun

Reaction Score
It gives them more time dedicated to preparing for Tennessee.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When you add in the fact that UConn left Omaha on Wednesday night at 10 pm, had the plane diverted to Albany and didn’t get back to Storrs until 7 am on Thursday morning, not having a game on Friday might well have been a blessing in disguise.

Reaction Score
Blessings comes in different ways for different people. I was blessed recently when my son gave me a bottle of Midwinters Night Dram for Christmas. Here, we debate UCONN’s blessing. Was it received with a game postponement or was it missed with a game postponement? Maybe UCONN’s performance tomorrow will give us a hint. Maybe we will continue to not have a clue. Either way, I will sip my Dram, watch the game and root for the home team.

Reaction Score
It's not disrespectful, it's factual. There are some teams in Div 1 that would have a hard time against the better Div II teams. That's a fact, not being disrespectful to anyone.

Reaction Score
It's not disrespectful, it's factual. There are some teams in Div 1 that would have a hard time against the better Div II teams. That's a fact, not being disrespectful to anyone.
Say what? This is a UConn WCBB blog. There are enough rules here, guard rails are close enough.
I can't believe anybody here cares one iota about Butler.
Even worse that insulting someone or saying something bad about someone is totally ignoring them. Nobody cares about Butler.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom