Building the Team Back Up... Des C Article. | The Boneyard

Building the Team Back Up... Des C Article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ay/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Coach D talking:

“This team has energy, a purpose and a spirit. That’s specific to what we see here. The team wants to change. They want to be better. They don’t want to have poor body composition. They are doing the things we’re asking them to do. It’s almost non-existent a defiance or lack of accountability. There is a purpose and a spirit to this group. It has its receptors wide open to our work each day. It’s a fun group to be around.”

“The group is easily frustrated; easily derailed and frustrated, not a great understanding of finishing. So there are some tangible elements of body composition and what not, [but] very important and intangible elements. We’re trying to change culture along with changing physically. These are some hallmarks, initial observations from the staff and me but also the kind of hallmarks of a lot of teams at certain times but like I said the team has energy, purpose and a spirit. And I like it.”

“There’s so much work to be done as it relates to their physical development, body composition and they’re already changing. They’ve been at it about four weeks, about to be in Week 5 and their bodies are changing. Already they look different; they feel different and they’re starting to act a bit different.”

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
“A culture was created, I don’t know why, I don’t know where, but you kind of had this, like they’ve got their gloves up, very guarded. So we start our first few workouts and you hear a lot of guys trying to energize each other by saying ‘they’re just trying to break us’… but, no.

I thought this was interesting. Validates what we have heard about the lack of connection between the previous coaches and players.

Reaction Score
“A culture was created, I don’t know why, I don’t know where, but you kind of had this, like they’ve got their gloves up, very guarded. So we start our first few workouts and you hear a lot of guys trying to energize each other by saying ‘they’re just trying to break us’… but, no.

I thought this was interesting. Validates what we have heard about the lack of connection between the previous coaches and players.

Yeah, goes hand in hand w/ the "upper classmen entitlement" comment though... bad chemistry all around.

While maybe not a complete rebuilding process from a talent/facilities standpoint - it seems a complete rebuild on "team" is needed. Sure seems like staff is up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess Des must have finally acknowledged that Pasqualoni just wasn't cutting the mustard.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Diaco seems very intuitive. Amazing that this guy has been around the program for a couple of months and has already identified this and the previous regime didn't in 2+ years. I love the "together" mold that he is creating. It was evident in several games in the P regime that the team quit playing. Now that they are playing together, that is less likely to happen.

Reaction Score
I am not/was not a coach P hater.. it was time to make a change and I am more than happy that they did, now let's turn the page. That said, I am so excited that the school chose as its next HC, Coach Diaco. I am willing to admit that I have a man crush.. no doubt about it. Everytime this guy opens his mouth, I get more anxous and excited for football season to come around. I like what he says and how he says it. To me he is saying that we need a makeover, but that makeover starts with the players.... mentally and physically. 19 Days until Spring Practice...

Reaction Score
Easily frustrated and derailed is a team without guidance or focus. That is the downfall of a college team. A bunch of 18-22 year old kids need focus more than they need a complex playbook

Our pre Pasqualoni teams were far more resilient. The Fiesta Bowl year was looking really sour and the team rallied.

Reaction Score
Anyone else just a little surprised how much they seem to think the team was soft physically? I mean we know it appeared to be a little bit of a dropoff, but our combine numbers have always been off the charts. Perhaps it's those key figures that were in the upper percentile made us think the rest of the team got at it as hard as they did in the weight room. Sounds like Balis is doing work already. Seeing that short Vine of him during recruiting day, guy just looked and sounded like a gym rat that I'd want to hire to come yell at me to push out one more rep at the squat rack.

Reaction Score
many here thought Martin was a god when it came to conditioning; appears that was not the case. It was surprising to me to hear the repeated comments about conditioning.

Reaction Score
I had the impression that the past regime didn't do a good job on conditioning and I think that really contributed to some of the losses, especially late game melt downs in 2011 and 2012. Diaco's comments make me think that was a big part of the problem.

Reaction Score
This is an extremely damning quote from Diaco.

“The group is easily frustrated; easily derailed and frustrated, not a great understanding of finishing.
So there are some tangible elements of body composition and what not, [but] very important and intangible elements. We’re trying to change culture along with changing physically. These are some hallmarks, initial observations from the staff and me but also the kind of hallmarks of a lot of teams at certain times but like I said the team has energy, purpose and a spirit. And I like it.”

Reaction Score
This is an extremely damning quote from Diaco.
“The group is easily frustrated; easily derailed and frustrated, not a great understanding of finishing. So there are some tangible elements of body composition and what not, [but] very important and intangible elements. We’re trying to change culture along with changing physically. These are some hallmarks, initial observations from the staff and me but also the kind of hallmarks of a lot of teams at certain times but like I said the team has energy, purpose and a spirit. And I like it.”

Dragon Breath

Reaction Score
The body composition part was very noticeable even against Towson. Their linemen were lean and chiseled, ours not so much.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It really feels like the old regime tried to treat them like a pro team while missing the obvious fact that they are college kids.

This ^^^

We also may be getting some insight, as many have already mentioned, into why Balis is here as the strength coach...

Reaction Score
Remember this past August when PP stated that at least 10 players reported out of shape. When it's August, and the players are out of shape it's usually too late for the upcoming season. Plus, nobody monitored them in the off season.

Reaction Score
Remember this past August when PP stated that at least 10 players reported out of shape. When it's August, and the players are out of shape it's usually too late for the upcoming season. Plus, nobody monitored them in the off season.

Precise indictment of lack of discipline and respect for themselves, the coaches and the program. Absolutely. There seems to be a disconnect though between players working and making it to the combine/Sunday and those that didn't take responsibility for their actions or lack of it. Appears not to be the case presently and going forward.

Reaction Score
WTF did they do in the weight room for 3 years?

Makes you wonder huh?

DIaco is beating around the bush a bit in his commentary, I think. There was a pretty significant lack of EFFECTIVE internal leadership and drive in the program, and he's working to find and build up those players that can lead, and develop good habits and work ethic and behaviours with regard to leadership and drive again in this offseason. He's not going to say that in public though, because that's not supporting his players very well. As far as breaking players down and building them up, that's what happens every year in football, the good coaches make it happen without the players having to feel like they are under attack. They make them understand what's happening, and get them motivated to work as ahrd as they can at breakign themselves down physically and technically to fundamentals and work harder to build back up again.

I didn't need this article to confirm that I have lost all respect I had for Pasqualoni as a head coach, for allowing a football program to deteriorate physically, psychologically, mentally and emotionally the way he did in 2 1/2 years. The fact that it was my football program, just pisses me off as a fan, but the guy is not a good head football coach anymore, proven QED.

he'll do fine as a position coach in the NFL, and I'm very happy to have a guy like DIaco working through correcting our program and getting back to winning. I'm excited to see this team perform under Diaco on the game field.

We will recover though. BYU is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate