Buffalo Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Buffalo Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Quick notice: there is no much turnover and unproven D1 talent on this season's Buffalo roster it was hard to get hard data on the team, but nonetheless, enjoy!

Buffalo: 1-1
Kenpom Rating: 207
Previous games:
  • 11/7 v Colgate: W 88-87
    • Zid Powell, 24 points, 5 assists, 3 steals, 7-12 from the line
    • Curtis Jones, 15 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists
  • 11/12 v James Madison: L 62-97
    • Curtis Jones, 13 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals
    • Zid Powell, 8 points, 2 assists, 4 steals

Notable national rankings via KenPom:
  • 2nd in overall tempo
  • 24.8% offensive turnover rate, 294th lowest in nation
  • 18.3% offensive rebounding rate, 305th in the nation
  • 23.3 3p%, 291st in nation
  • 24.8% defensive turnover rate, 44th best in the nation
  • 59.5% opponent 2p%, 295th in nation

Entering his fourth season replacing current Alabama coach Nate Oats, Jim Whitesell’s Buffalo teams play fast, hit the offensive glass (top-20 finishes in tempo and offensive rebounding rate in every season) and defend the perimeter well (top-75 in opponent 3p% and 3pa% in every season).

This season, the all-time great trio of Jeenathan Williams (7th in career points), Ronaldo Segu (6th in career assists) and Josh Mballa (5th in career rebounds, 10th in blocks) have graduated, facing Whitesell with his first rebuilding season.

Amongst the four returning players, none started last season and only two players (Curtis Jones and Laquill Hardnett) were regular rotation pieces. All in all, only 7% of last year’s scoring returns.

A Look at the Roster

1668343762458.png

With all of their starters from last season either graduated or transferred, the Bulls’ success is mostly in the hands of talent with little D1 experience.

Against Colgate, a team that plays with two bigs, Buffalo played all 32 of their minutes with either 6’9 200 Smith or 6’8 205 Hardnett at the 5 and 6’6 210 Isaiah Adams at the 4, leaving the Bulls with a very lean lineup.

However, against a smaller JMU, Buffalo oddly went a bit bigger, playing 6’11 251 freshman big Isaac Jack for twelve minutes in total and sharing the court with 6’7 230 freshman forward Zaakir Williamson for seven minutes.

All in all, expect fast-paced squad mostly made up with unproven guards and a lot of pick and roll offense. While I like the idea of scheduling Buffalo regularly, this is arguably the worst Buffalo squad in a decade.

pj

Reaction Score
Going to be a fun game! Fast tempo, lots of action, good game to practice fast breaks and transition defense.

Reaction Score
I loved watching Buffalo play when Bobby and Nate were there. They tended to recruit above the conference level and put out some fun teams. Things have gone… poorly since then. Hoping to have one of the walking wounded back for this game.

Reaction Score
Should be a fun test for our guards and a test for our bigs conditioning.

Curious how we choose to defend in transition. We're usually big on offensive rebounding, but we might not crash so many players this time so we can stop their transition game instead.

Expecting another big game for Sanogo/Clingan.

Reaction Score
Should be a fun test for our guards and a test for our bigs conditioning.

Curious how we choose to defend in transition. We're usually big on offensive rebounding, but we might not crash so many players this time so we can stop their transition game instead.

Expecting another big game for Sanogo/Clingan.
Guys like Samson and Andre defending the rim in transition is usually a big advantage for us. Hopefully Andre plays.

Reaction Score
And there playing on the road, when was the last time we played a road game against a mid major this early in the season?

Reaction Score
Nowadays when I see opponent stats the first thing I look at is the height of the opposing bigs.

Its the DC effect.

Reaction Score
I feel like we have the length to make it very difficult for a fast paced team to stay in control and get high quality shots.

We could probably run with them, but I wouldn’t mind us slowing the tempo and letting Sanogo dominate. If we play fast I’d love to see a lot of threes from Alleyne and Karaban on the break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom