Bueckers big part of fresh outlook | The Boneyard

Bueckers big part of fresh outlook

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Carl Adamec cadamec@journalinquirer.com Oct 31, 2020 Updated 1 hr ago

UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma noticed that freshman guard Paige Bueckers was part of his Zoom call during Thursday’s Big East media day. Bueckers had been named the preseason Freshman of the Year by league coaches. The good news for Auriemma and the Huskies as they return to the Big East is they have freshman who can play.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Nothing really shocking here. Geno indicates that Bueckers, Edwards and Muhl are all fitting in pretty well. That is consistent with what many of us have been expecting. His praise of Paige is pretty rare, I remember him praising Kelly Faris quite a bit, Maya of course, but not many others to that level at this point.

With the four returning plus Westbrook, that likely means eight contributors getting decent minutes which is better than recent years. McLean will probably see some time too.

Not coming together on the floor as well as he would like but that is a familiar refrain from Geno at this time of year.

It will be a baptism of fire with Miss State 11/29 and Louisville 12/4, fortunately both in Connecticut, followed by a trap game at Seton Hall on 12/6, Big East opener.

Less than a month away, wow.

Reaction Score
Geno is hedging on his comments about 6 months ago when he was quoted as saying that when UConn wins the 2021 title it will because of Bueckers. He also said that she is the best he ever saw with the ball in her hands. Those are really really bold comments. If I had posted that the responses would have been quick and harsh. Geno was aware of what he was saying.

My opinion is that Bueckers is the best player on this year's team and it will become apparent quickly and will be obvious in January. She is already the best passer and the best finisher. Yeah, I know she hasn't faced college teams yet but I still say it.

Reaction Score
Nothing really shocking here. Geno indicates that Bueckers, Edwards and Muhl are all fitting in pretty well. That is consistent with what many of us have been expecting. His praise of Paige is pretty rare, I remember him praising Kelly Faris quite a bit, Maya of course, but not many others to that level at this point.
I think Geno has very good words on Breanna too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige proved herself with her FIBA play. She is a much better passer than Hailey Van Lith. She has the size to see over a lot of guards but will find that driving and finishing at the hoop will not be as easy as HS. She has a great mid-range game and very good 3 point game and these will only get better. I have stated previously that Ana and Paige are our best 3 point shooters until proven otherwise. With Nika fitting in as per Geno we might have Paige and Anna on the wings with Aubrey, Mir and Maybe Edwards at the top of the Key with Live underneath for the high low or reverse with Liv at the top. Liv became a good passer as the season went on last year. I can't wait for the season to start and to see what Geno has got cooked up for us!!!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige proved herself with her FIBA play. She is a much better passer than Hailey Van Lith. She has the size to see over a lot of guards but will find that driving and finishing at the hoop will not be as easy as HS. She has a great mid-range game and very good 3 point game and these will only get better. I have stated previously that Ana and Paige are our best 3 point shooters until proven otherwise. With Nika fitting in as per Geno we might have Paige and Anna on the wings with Aubrey, Mir and Maybe Edwards at the top of the Key with Live underneath for the high low or reverse with Liv at the top. Liv became a good passer as the season went on last year. I can't wait for the season to start and to see what Geno has got cooked up for us!!!!!!

Good post. Sometimes, you just know that you know that you know. Judging by her demeanor, do you think that Paige knows? Confidence can be a wonderful thing. Once Paige gets it (at this level), it will be deja vu. The game will slow down for her (and the rest of the freshmen), they’re going to be a nightmare for their opponents, especially if Geno keeps the ball in the hands of his best players.

UConn will have size, depth, elite talent, and one the best and most celebrated coaches in WCBB history at the controls. Geno will have a myriad of player combination options (as you mentioned) he didn’t have last year.

I know it’s early, but the tea leaves appear to say that UConn is on the verge of returning to the days of yore, that is, being bad for women’s basketball, and that gap between UConn and everyone else begins to widen again. Oh how I long for yesterday. ;)

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
That is the problem with this team. This is a good post listing several options for terrific play AND it doesn't mention the Big East PreSeason Player of the Year. This is a big problem when there are so many options we can't list them all. I can't wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom