BU Recap - Net Plays and Key Stats | The Boneyard

BU Recap - Net Plays and Key Stats

Reaction Score
Probably won't do this for every game, but for the first few it's good to get a true sense of everyone's contributions.

A non-exhaustive list of positive plays are nice takes, noteworthy passes (not necessarily just assists), offensive or contested rebounds, strong 1v1 defense, drawing fouls, steals, denials, blocks, especially strong screens. Negative plays are sloppy plays, bad passes, lazy efforts, poor communication, awareness, or positioning on D, bricking wide open shots (missing the right contested shot is neutral), actual detrimental fouls (not just what was called). Sometimes a positive and negative play will cancel out on same play (eg Sanogo passes out of double team to open cutting Newton, gets a pass back from Newton and airballs a floater). Even if net result of the play is positive/negative I'm looking at the cumulative individual processes not the result.

Name (Positive/Negative, Net)
Diarra - 12/4 +8 - Ran the show effectively. 6 turnovers to 2 assists. Drew a couple fouls, picked his spots well in transition. Lots of penetration and kick outs to shooters. Less disruptive on defense today, but solid.
Newton - 14/10 +4 - Played some decent defense in first half, but couldn't get offense going and had a coupe turnovers. Second half had a few more nice passes and made a couple shots, but was still a bit out of control or out of flow at times. +25 +/- led team today.
Alleyne - 9/6 +3 - Mostly a 3&D player tonight, not a ton of impact plays outside of his strong jump shooting. Mostly solid on D with a couple small errors and shooting fouls conceded. Tough D assignment on Whyte for much of the game.
Karaban - 16/1 +15 - Whew did not realize this net would be so high before charting. Only negative was a shooting foul on a jump shot contest on D. Otherwise, spotless game and impacts all over the court on both sides of the ball. He forced multiple travels (don't show up as steals in boxscsore but might as well be), had deflections, a block, contested rebounds, offensive rebounds, assists, hockey assists, and did a little scoring. We scored on 76% of the possessions that he was in the game for.
Sanogo - 22/6 +16 MVP - Sanogo had a 12/4 +8 in just the first half alone. He did it all on offense. Bunch of floaters, layups, dunks, and even two 3's. Had a nice look to Calcaterra on a back screen cut that showed his passing. First Sanogo/Clingan double big lineup experiment went kinda poorly, looked a little lost on how to throw the high low entry pass (very good at receiving said pass). Currently 10th in KenPom's player of the year metric (hard to imagine many having 2 better games than he did to start, but takes team strength into account).
Clingan - 16/4 +12 - Had Clingan down for a 10/0 first half (I think he was fouled on the post up he missed somewhat badly but uncalled). Impact on both ends with blocks, strong contests, offensive rebounds in traffic, dunks. 2nd half was a little more uneven with a couple turnovers and sloppy plays but offset with a coupe nice passes, dunks, and drawn fouls. +14 +/- in 12 minutes of action is pretty wild. His offensive rebounding is a back-breaker for the opposition, he grabbed 33% of all available rebounds while in the game today.
Calcaterra - 7/5 +1 - Bad first half filled with turnovers, but tightened up his game in the 2nd half and showed something. Couple nice passes and team basketball in the 2nd half. 42.6% TO rate so far is unbelievably bad, but we're still in small sample size territory and he's hitting 50% from 3 to partially offset that.
Springs - 6/3 +3 - Not much action in the 2nd half, but surprisingly strong play in the first. Hit a jumper, couple nice drives, and a nice entry pass.

All positive players today shows how well we played overall. Sanogo with +16 in both games so far this season. The Sanogo/Clingan 2-headed monster is something to behold. Karaban is the ultimate swiss army knife weapon, does all the little things that contributes to winning. Based on reputation, I expected Diarra to be a bit more up-and-down, similar to how Newton has been honestly. Diarra was pretty steady in this game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We scored on 76% of the possessions that he was in the game for.

Mixed up TOs and Assists for Diarra FWIW.

And this quote is exactly what I keep noticing about Karaban. Even when he's not playing well, the team just has better flow with him in the game. He does a really good job of knowing when to dribble penetrate vs swing the ball, when to slow the game down vs when to speed up and try to get the bucket. 7 assists and 1 TO so far this season too.

That "feel for the game" stuff is the biggest thing I'm seeing that is holding Newton back right now on offense. He does way too much 3 dribble testing the defense instead of making a quick decision to swing or attack. I'm not surprised--being the #1 guy at ECU is very different than the role he's taking now. He'll need time to adjust, but I saw some improvement that second half. Hopefully it keeps up vs Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Probably won't do this for every game, but for the first few it's good to get a true sense of everyone's contributions.

A non-exhaustive list of positive plays are nice takes, noteworthy passes (not necessarily just assists), offensive or contested rebounds, strong 1v1 defense, drawing fouls, steals, denials, blocks, especially strong screens. Negative plays are sloppy plays, bad passes, lazy efforts, poor communication, awareness, or positioning on D, bricking wide open shots (missing the right contested shot is neutral), actual detrimental fouls (not just what was called). Sometimes a positive and negative play will cancel out on same play (eg Sanogo passes out of double team to open cutting Newton, gets a pass back from Newton and airballs a floater). Even if net result of the play is positive/negative I'm looking at the cumulative individual processes not the result.

Name (Positive/Negative, Net)
Diarra - 12/4 +8 - Ran the show effectively. 6 turnovers to 2 assists. Drew a couple fouls, picked his spots well in transition. Lots of penetration and kick outs to shooters. Less disruptive on defense today, but solid.
Newton - 14/10 +4 - Played some decent defense in first half, but couldn't get offense going and had a coupe turnovers. Second half had a few more nice passes and made a couple shots, but was still a bit out of control or out of flow at times. +25 +/- led team today.
Alleyne - 9/6 +3 - Mostly a 3&D player tonight, not a ton of impact plays outside of his strong jump shooting. Mostly solid on D with a couple small errors and shooting fouls conceded. Tough D assignment on Whyte for much of the game.
Karaban - 16/1 +15 - Whew did not realize this net would be so high before charting. Only negative was a shooting foul on a jump shot contest on D. Otherwise, spotless game and impacts all over the court on both sides of the ball. He forced multiple travels (don't show up as steals in boxscsore but might as well be), had deflections, a block, contested rebounds, offensive rebounds, assists, hockey assists, and did a little scoring. We scored on 76% of the possessions that he was in the game for.
Sanogo - 22/6 +16 MVP - Sanogo had a 12/4 +8 in just the first half alone. He did it all on offense. Bunch of floaters, layups, dunks, and even two 3's. Had a nice look to Calcaterra on a back screen cut that showed his passing. First Sanogo/Clingan double big lineup experiment went kinda poorly, looked a little lost on how to throw the high low entry pass (very good at receiving said pass). Currently 10th in KenPom's player of the year metric (hard to imagine many having 2 better games than he did to start, but takes team strength into account).
Clingan - 16/4 +12 - Had Clingan down for a 10/0 first half (I think he was fouled on the post up he missed somewhat badly but uncalled). Impact on both ends with blocks, strong contests, offensive rebounds in traffic, dunks. 2nd half was a little more uneven with a couple turnovers and sloppy plays but offset with a coupe nice passes, dunks, and drawn fouls. +14 +/- in 12 minutes of action is pretty wild. His offensive rebounding is a back-breaker for the opposition, he grabbed 33% of all available rebounds while in the game today.
Calcaterra - 7/5 +1 - Bad first half filled with turnovers, but tightened up his game in the 2nd half and showed something. Couple nice passes and team basketball in the 2nd half. 42.6% TO rate so far is unbelievably bad, but we're still in small sample size territory and he's hitting 50% from 3 to partially offset that.
Springs - 6/3 +3 - Not much action in the 2nd half, but surprisingly strong play in the first. Hit a jumper, couple nice drives, and a nice entry pass.

All positive players today shows how well we played overall. Sanogo with +16 in both games so far this season. The Sanogo/Clingan 2-headed monster is something to behold. Karaban is the ultimate swiss army knife weapon, does all the little things that contributes to winning. Based on reputation, I expected Diarra to be a bit more up-and-down, similar to how Newton has been honestly. Diarra was pretty steady in this game.
Great stuff. Really appreciate these stats that we don’t see in a regular box score.

Thats an eye popping stat that we’ve scored on 76% of possession’s that Karaban was in the game for.

Reaction Score
Mixed up TOs and Assists for Diarra FWIW.
Thanks typed that part up too late last night lol, can't edit anymore.
And this quote is exactly what I keep noticing about Karaban. Even when he's not playing well, the team just has better flow with him in the game. He does a really good job of knowing when to dribble penetrate vs swing the ball, when to slow the game down vs when to speed up and try to get the bucket. 7 assists and 1 TO so far this season too.

That "feel for the game" stuff is the biggest thing I'm seeing that is holding Newton back right now on offense. He does way too much 3 dribble testing the defense instead of making a quick decision to swing or attack. I'm not surprised--being the #1 guy at ECU is very different than the role he's taking now. He'll need time to adjust, but I saw some improvement that second half. Hopefully it keeps up vs Buffalo.
Yeah hopefully Newton figures it out more. Karaban has an extra semester headstart on understanding the offense and such. I'm confident Newton will find his lane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom