BU 11/19/17 Things I Saw | The Boneyard

BU 11/19/17 Things I Saw

Reaction Score
Missed it live, thanks to @gampelcrazies for the replay. Haven't read anyone else's thoughts yet, but here are some things that jumped out to me.

5:25 into the game for our first field goal. They zoned us, and we got a few shots at the rim, and a few other wide open 3pt attempts from Adams, plus drew some fouls. Offense design wasn't the problem, just shotmaking skill. The guards over penetrated a few times, floaters are better than getting your shot blocked by the rim, guys!

Had to

Reaction Score
Anderson once again shows he's really good at selling contact to draw offensive fouls.

Larrier is a zone-busting weapon in basically every way. He'll shoot 3s from the wing and is very effective at the free throw line, whether it's a pull up or attacking off the dribble and using a floater. Even just the threat of him flashing is sometimes enough. Watch him warp the defense (admittedly bad play by BU guard), and our passing forces them into rotation for a corner 3. This is how you beat a zone.

Reaction Score
I've been on the record as being... shall we say less optimistic than some about Jalen and how good our offense will be with him at the helm. The argument for is the stretch against Stony Brook in the clutch when he was running PnR and getting to the basket at will and converting. But it's the silent plays like these that are the argument against.

Adams made a much better pass on the next transition opportunity, but this was the next possession after that. I don't care that this went in, he needs to never take a shot like this again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's good coaching from Ollie and co. This play will get an open rhythm 3pt shot 100% of the time against a zone.

Gilbert tried to be aggressive at the start of the 2nd half because he had a quiet 1st, but I don't recommend attacking 1v5.

Reaction Score
Vital with the sweet take off the dribble.

We started killing them on the offensive boards, but we got into great position to do so by running Carlton pick and rolls. Carlton would roll to the basket and even if he missed we had our active bigs rebounding against their wings with inside position.

Reaction Score
For as good as Larrier was against the zone tonight, his handle was really loose, including on back to back possessions with 10 minutes left in the game. He needs to tighten it up if he wants to go 1 on 1 at the top of the circle like this.

Towards the end of the game (7:19 left until like 1:42), it looks like Ollie experimented with a 4-guard lineup. Gilbert, Anderson, Vital, Adams with Diarra. Not sure if it was to match BU or proactive. As expected, they scored well against the zone, but struggled on the defensive end both with communication and denying the post and pick and roll.

Reaction Score
Great post!

Adams & Gilbert need to be forced to watch those gifs of bad play for at least 1h each day in lieu of other instagram feeds. They & the team will be sooooo much better when they cut that crap out of their games!

Reaction Score
I've been on the record as being... shall we say less optimistic than some about Jalen and how good our offense will be with him at the helm. The argument for is the stretch against Stony Brook in the clutch when he was running PnR and getting to the basket at will and converting. But it's the silent plays like these that are the argument against.

Adams made a much better pass on the next transition opportunity, but this was the next possession after that. I don't care that this went in, he needs to never take a shot like this again.

I actually disagree with this whole post. On the first play the pass could have been a little better, but that's the right pass and he put it in a spot where the big guy should get it. He just didn't see the ball until it was too late. Doesn't make it not the right play.

The second is just a basic pick and roll. The pick freed him up for an open shot and he took it. You have to take those to keep teams honest, otherwise they'll just sag off the pick to prevent penetration to the basket & the roll man from being open.

Thanks for making these though. i agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Reaction Score
Gilbert has been over penetrating all season. He has hit the bottom of the basket half a dozen times already.

I think he is responding to Ollie's desire to get the ball up the floor quicker. No more walking it up the court. But he has to show better judgement on when to go to the hoop, when the pull up and when to back it out. But we tend to forget he has only played in five college games. If he is still doing this in February, it's a problem

Reaction Score
I actually disagree with this whole post. On the first play the pass could have been a little better, but that's the right pass and he put it in a spot where the big guy should get it. He just didn't see the ball until it was too late. Doesn't make it not the right play.

The second is just a basic pick and roll. The pick freed him up for an open shot and he took it. You have to take those to keep teams honest, otherwise they'll just sag off the pick to prevent penetration to the basket & the roll man from being open.

He over-dribbled on the first play. If he makes the pass a few steps earlier it's an easy pass and dunk. Instead he dribbled to the defender and threw a low pass that the big had very little chance of catching (and even if he'd caught it he would have been stuck under the rim). KO should show them that play in film study and then follow it with a few clips of Doron Sheffer.

Agree with you about the jumper though.

Reaction Score
He over-dribbled on the first play. If he makes the pass a few steps earlier it's an easy pass and dunk. Instead he dribbled to the defender and threw a low pass that the big had very little chance of catching (and even if he'd caught it he would have been stuck under the rim). KO should show them that play in film study and then follow it with a few clips of Doron Sheffer.

No, you make the defenders come up and commit, which is what he did. The pass was a little too far in front, and probably should not have been a bounce pass

Reaction Score

No, you make the defenders come up and commit, which is what he did. The pass was a little too far in front, and probably should not have been a bounce pass

Agree with you both. The first play he just made a bad pass. Once the defender committed, he made the right pass, just poor execution. That's a tough pass for a big guy to handle.

The second play was a wide open easy jumper coming off a pick. That's a shot he should make 7 or 8 times out of 10. While it was a long 2, he shot it in rhythm, instead of using a step back to take a harder shot for 3.

Reaction Score

You're right, he should have lobbed that ball over the top once the two/three guys committed to stopping him in transition.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the feedback!

On the first, he has to execute the pass better. Big guy didn't see it because he passed it low and around the defender. He can't be a freight train right ahead into the defender and cut off his own angle. Make the defender choose between taking away the angle for the pass or the angle of your drive. He let the guy do both. As a junior, we'd have hoped the game would have "slowed down" for Adams. Hopefully he'll get more comfortable as the season goes on.

On the second, that shot needs to be a 3-pointer if he's going to take a jumper from that distance. It's infuriating.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the feedback!

On the first, he has to execute the pass better. Big guy didn't see it because he passed it low and around the defender. He can't be a freight train right ahead into the defender and cut off his own angle. Make the defender choose between taking away the angle for the pass or the angle of your drive. He let the guy do both. As a junior, we'd have hoped the game would have "slowed down" for Adams. Hopefully he'll get more comfortable as the season goes on.

On the second, that shot needs to be a 3-pointer if he's going to take a jumper from that distance. It's infuriating.

Completely agree on the long two, those can be incredibly frustrating. I thought maybe it was a case of Carlton setting his pick inside the three point line, but it wasn't. That's on Adams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom