BSU Bronco Nation:Boise State Preseason Football Preview: UConn | The Boneyard

BSU Bronco Nation:Boise State Preseason Football Preview: UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
"With a new coach, an inexperienced quarterback, no established running back, and a non-existent offensive line, Diaco and his Huskies have their work cut out for them if they want to see any victories this season."

well that's kinda harsh....."any" victories?

I guess since he already used "inexperienced" to describe the QB.....he didn't know how to describe the OL...but calling it "non-existent" seems like a poor choice of words. Not to mention he missed that Phillips is gone...but he did catch McCombs being gone.

Overall a poor effort...I would give him a "D".

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree with almost everything in this article except for this:

...Diaco and his Huskies have their work cut out for them if they want to see any victories this season.

Last years' UConn team was uninspired and uninspiring. and still managed to win 3 games.

I believe that Diaco, Foley, and Cummings will find 7 Individuals to piece together a reasonable sum for an offensive line and when they do, I really don't think McCombs' production will be difficult to replace. They may not beat Boise State, but to say UConn will have a hard time beating anyone is borderline disingenuous and lazy.

Reaction Score
Holy Moly that was lazy. When did we move Ashiru to DL? And Phillips has decided to return to Storrs after all?

He says that Cochran is poised to have a huge season then a few paragraphs later points to having an inexperienced QB as one of the reasons why we'll struggle to win ANY games this year.

The last line was just unnecessary and stupid. What a waste of time. 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Holy Moly that was lazy. When did we move Ashiru to DL? And Phillips has decided to return to Storrs after all?

He says that Cochran is poised to have a huge season then a few paragraphs later points to having an inexperienced QB as one of the reasons why we'll struggle to win ANY games this year.

The last line was just unnecessary and stupid. What a waste of time. 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Cochran had 8 starts last year?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well...when Boise loses, they will have lost to a team with an inexperienced QB, a non-existent OL, struggling to win any game. Because ladies and gentlemen, Boise is going to lose this game. Mark it down and take it to the bank. We are gonna punch them in #$king mouth...

Reaction Score
I love this and I hope the bsu team reads this and believes. It will come as a great shock when we punch them in the mouth! Unfortunately, we will be undefeated when we play them and it may not come as a surprise.

EDIT I did not not see dan's post when I wrote mine. Good karma

Reaction Score
BYU and Boise are about as bad a set of match-ups as we could have with a young team and new coaching staff to start off the season. They are established, well coached, mature teams (especially BYU). Those games have the potential to get really ugly.

If we come out of the first three games with 2 wins I would be ecstatic. We would be playing with the houses money for a bowl bid.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love this and I hope the bsu team reads this and believes. It will come as a great shock when we punch them in the mouth! Unfortunately, we will be undefeated when we play them and it may not come as a surprise.

EDIT I did not not see dan's post when I wrote mine. Good karma

BOOM!!! Karma, baby...

Reaction Score
BYU and Boise are about as bad a set of match-ups as we could have with a young team and new coaching staff to start off the season. They are established, well coached, mature teams (especially BYU). Those games have the potential to get really ugly.

If we come out of the first three games with 2 wins I would be ecstatic. We would be playing with the houses money for a bowl bid.

Not saying BYU or BS suck, but please let's not give them leather helmets and harkening back to the 7 blocks of granite. UConn can't help but be much better, even in the 1st game. PP/GDL were not just bad, they were super duper bad; bad in scheme set up, player conditioning, game management, play calling, you name it they couldn't even use time outs correctly. BYU and BS have no such coaching improvements from last year.

BYU was 8-5 last year. Best win (all per Massey) #28 Texas. opening game lost to 2-10 Virginia team away, were 2 wins 3 losses last 5 games. 3 of 8 wins against #97 or worse opponents. Had pretty solid schedule with lot of top 20 to 50 opponents. Were 3-3 away with 5 pt. win over Nevada and 1 pt. win vs. Houston.

BS was 8-5 last year. Best win #45 Utah State. Opening game lost to Wash 6-38, lost BYU 20-37. 6 0f their 8 wins were against teams ranked 100 or worse. So BS beat 2 teams ranked in the top 99 - wins were against #'s 45, 78, 113, 139, 146, 175, 199, 250. Were 2-4 in away games.

UConn was 3-9 last year. All 3 wins were against teams rated worse than 100. Of 9 loses only 1 (USF) was against team rated worse than 100.

BYU will be surprised at what they run into, by the end of the BS game there will be no surprises for opponents. I see 6-0 going into ECU who will have already beaten Penn State and Missouri.

Reaction Score
BYU will be surprised at what they run into, by the end of the BS game there will be no surprises for opponents. I see 6-0 going into ECU who will have already beaten Penn State and Missouri.

are you high?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm all for making fun of idiots on the internet but I just googled the UConn roster and the first result brings up the spring roster from the official site which includes McCombs and Phillips so I wouldn't be too rough on people for that.

The second result is ESPN and they are on it. The third result is CBS and they are on it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not saying BYU or BS suck, but please let's not give them leather helmets and harkening back to the 7 blocks of granite. UConn can't help but be much better, even in the 1st game. PP/GDL were not just bad, they were super duper bad; bad in scheme set up, player conditioning, game management, play calling, you name it they couldn't even use time outs correctly. BYU and BS have no such coaching improvements from last year.

BYU was 8-5 last year. Best win (all per Massey) #28 Texas. opening game lost to 2-10 Virginia team away, were 2 wins 3 losses last 5 games. 3 of 8 wins against #97 or worse opponents. Had pretty solid schedule with lot of top 20 to 50 opponents. Were 3-3 away with 5 pt. win over Nevada and 1 pt. win vs. Houston.

BS was 8-5 last year. Best win #45 Utah State. Opening game lost to Wash 6-38, lost BYU 20-37. 6 0f their 8 wins were against teams ranked 100 or worse. So BS beat 2 teams ranked in the top 99 - wins were against #'s 45, 78, 113, 139, 146, 175, 199, 250. Were 2-4 in away games.

UConn was 3-9 last year. All 3 wins were against teams rated worse than 100. Of 9 loses only 1 (USF) was against team rated worse than 100.

Even Dan97 thinks you might need to take a step back.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'm honestly not so sure that Boise is all that of a crazy team to beat. Especially this season. They've lost their long-time HC in Chris Petersen- don't forget he was the man that made Boise, "Boise". They went 8-5 last year, and a loss in the Hawaii Bowl. They have a new, first year HC in Bryan Harsin too, who is only in his 2nd year of FBS coaching (last year at Arkansas State- went 8-5). Just saying, although we do have a lot of issues personnel-wise to sort out over the summer (esp at QB and RB) we're not that far off, and HCBD and the new staff have already brought a entire new culture to Storrs for football. I'm excited for this season and if I had to bet on it, we're going to go 7-5 and make a bowl game in Diaco's first season here.

Reaction Score
I'm honestly not so sure that Boise is all that of a crazy team to beat. Especially this season. They've lost their long-time HC in Chris Petersen- don't forget he was the man that made Boise, "Boise". They went 8-5 last year, and a loss in the Hawaii Bowl. They have a new, first year HC in Bryan Harsin too, who is only in his 2nd year of FBS coaching (last year at Arkansas State- went 8-5). Just saying, although we do have a lot of issues personnel-wise to sort out over the summer (esp at QB and RB) we're not that far off, and HCBD and the new staff have already brought a entire new culture to Storrs for football. I'm excited for this season and if I had to bet on it, we're going to go 7-5 and make a bowl game in Diaco's first season here.

I like our chances of beating Boise a million times more than BYU.

Reaction Score
I'm all for making fun of idiots on the internet but I just googled the UConn roster and the first result brings up the spring roster from the official site which includes McCombs and Phillips so I wouldn't be too rough on people for that.

The second result is ESPN and they are on it. The third result is CBS and they are on it.

Leaving Phillips on the team is probably the least egregious of his numerous errors.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I lived at some other area of US not in UConn's backyard, and absent any direct knowledge of facts unwritten or unspoken, if the only information I have to go on is what is written and past performance, I don't fault their opinions or conclusions.

The only classy way to correct their perception is to beat them on the field. It's bad enough not much is thought about the team. Referencing their opinions in a disrespectful manner does not help the perception of the program or its fan base. An opinion is just that.......the best solution is to prove their opinion to be in error is to beat them and other teams where it counts the most.......on the field.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I lived at some other area of US not in UConn's backyard, and absent any direct knowledge of facts unwritten or unspoken, if the only information I have to go on is what is written and past performance, I don't fault their opinions or conclusions.

The only classy way to correct their perception is to beat them on the field. It's bad enough not much is thought about the team. Referencing their opinions in a disrespectful manner does not help the perception of the program or its fan base. An opinion is just that..the best solution is to prove their opinion to be in error is to beat them and other teams where it counts the most..on the field.

Yeah he had Cochran starting 8 games, claims he's posed for a big year, then references an inexperienced QB as one of our big issues. He has Ashiru at DL. These are not opinions. The are incorrect facts.

And seriously if you're gonna write something about a team solely based on last year's statistics why even bother?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We are going to beat Boise. I guarantee it. That is the coming of age game that will invigorate this program and fanbase. 7 wins and a bowl game. No, I am not high.

Lose a close one to BYU, beat Stony Brook then go all-in against Boise. I've dreamt this dream a million times so now you know it can't possibly go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom