Brionna jones | The Boneyard

Brionna jones

Reaction Score
isn't getting any run?? Kind of surprised she hasn't gotten in the game

Reaction Score
Lots of decisions Curt Miller made that I'm not to sure about. That crazy technical really cost them bad.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
But wasn't she thought to be the best post player in the nation last season, next to Coates?

BETTER than Coates, according to a lot of people here. Some people said she'd be better than Coates at the next level as well.

I just wish Coates was 100% healthy.

Reaction Score
I get Danielle Adams is hitting 3s but there's no way I'm playin her over jones. Adams can barely move

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In defense of those who think Jones is better than Coates, I'm sure those opinions are based at least in part on how they played against UConn. Jones played very well against UConn, particularly in the 2015 match-up at MSG, while Coates did not. In 3 games against UConn, Jones averaged 19 points/8 rebounds. In 3 games against UConn, Coates averaged 6 points/9 rebounds.

Coates is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones. It was a mystery to many why Coates didn't play better against UConn's smaller defenders (Tuck and Collier/Williams). Maybe Maryland was able to isolate Jones more because she didn't share the lane with a player like Wilson.

Reaction Score
Lots of decisions Curt Miller made that I'm not to sure about. That crazy technical really cost them bad.
I hate when coaches use all of their timeouts. If he had one left, they would have a better shot at the end. I, too, question some of his decisions.

Reaction Score
I hate when coaches use all of their timeouts. If he had one left, they would have a better shot at the end. I, too, question some of his decisions.

Here's one of his more questionable decisions.
XgUebym.jpg

Miller has done nothing to deserve feeling arrogant enough to take a disparaging shot at WNBA enthusiasts, the same group that keeps him employed. How does he still have a job after that crack? Maybe he was also taking a shot the media, since none of them had Akhator in the Top 8 in their mock drafts. I dunno.... unnecessary nonsensical comment from him.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
XgUebym.jpg

Miller has done nothing to deserve feeling arrogant enough to take a disparaging shot at WNBA enthusiasts, the same group that keeps him employed. How does he still have a job after that crack? Maybe he was also taking a shot the media, since none of them had Akhator in the Top 8 in their mock drafts. I dunno.... unnecessary nonsensical comment from him.

Wait, what? Miller owes his job to WNBA enthusiasts who post mock drafts? He should lose his job over that?

Come on.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Miller owes his job to WNBA enthusiasts who post mock drafts? He should lose his job over that?

Come on.

The people who post mock drafts are promoting the game, showing enthusiasm towards a sport many don't take seriously. People who post mock drafts also contribute to attendance and viewership numbers, buy merchandise and such. Who ultimately pays his salary? If he doesn't want to appreciate all WNBA fans, he should coach in Russia or something. Show respeck, Miller.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The people who post mock drafts are promoting the game, showing enthusiasm towards a sport many don't take seriously. People who post mock drafts also contribute to attendance and viewership numbers, buy merchandise and such. Who ultimately pays his salary? If he doesn't want to appreciate all WNBA fans, he should coach in Russia or something. Show respeck, Miller.

Oh for god's sake. If Sun management has to be worried about not offending people who post already forgotten mock drafts in order to keep attendance up then that team and the WNBA are in a whole heap of trouble. Somehow, in some way, I suspect Sun attendance will survive Miller mocking those nameless, faceless and forgotten few who posted mock WNBA 2017 drafts. And yes, I'm mocking your post.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Now I'm curious as to where B. Jones was projected to go in these various mock drafts :cool:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Now I'm curious as to where B. Jones was projected to go in these various mock drafts :cool:

I know it's hard to keep up, what with all that's going on in the Diana Taurasi is a punk thread. You've been busy.

I have no idea where Jones was projected to go. I'm one of the relatively few fans who pays no attention to mock drafts which explains my indifference to Miller's comments.

Reaction Score

Higher than Akhator, that's for sure.

Oh for god's sake. If Sun management has to be worried about not offending people who post already forgotten mock drafts in order to keep attendance up then that team and the WNBA are in a whole heap of trouble. Somehow, in some way, I suspect Sun attendance will survive Miller mocking those nameless, faceless and forgotten few who posted mock WNBA 2017 drafts. And yes, I'm mocking your post.

Your angle seems to be it's so few people he's offending (and you're not one of them), so why worry about it.... instead of why is he offending anybody in the first place. Every fan matters. Yes, they'll survive this if that's the only goal. It wouldn't hurt to always show some class. And what's with the stereotyping? It's surprising that a member of the LBGTQ is stereotyping Internet users as losers. His attitude is what is in the basement. So is his team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Higher than Akhator, that's for sure.

Your angle seems to be it's so few people he's offending (and you're not one of them), so why worry about it.... instead of why is he offending anybody in the first place. Every fan matters. Yes, they'll survive this if that's the only goal. It wouldn't hurt to always show some class. And what's with the stereotyping? It's surprising that a member of the LBGTQ is stereotyping Internet users as losers. His attitude is what is in the basement. So is his team.

I don't have an angle. I think your positions on Miller's comment are ridiculous.

Just to recap your positions:

1) Miller's comments disparaged WNBA enthusiasts who post mock drafts;
2) Those few (5-10?) enthusiasts keep him employed;
3) he's lucky he still has his job;
4) he has stereotyped Internet Users as losers;
5) he lacks class; and
6) how could a member of the LBGTQ community say such a thing.

All that because Miller said this: The WNBA coaches see it a lot differently than people sitting in their basement on the web, Miller said with a smile.

Maybe I'm just a jaded fan who doesn't dwell in the Rebkell bubble and who has read and heard too many Geno Auriemma comments during the past 25 years. Or, maybe this doesn't even rise to the level of a blip.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
In defense of those who think Jones is better than Coates, I'm sure those opinions are based at least in part on how they played against UConn. Jones played very well against UConn, particularly in the 2015 match-up at MSG, while Coates did not. In 3 games against UConn, Jones averaged 19 points/8 rebounds. In 3 games against UConn, Coates averaged 6 points/9 rebounds.

Coates is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones. It was a mystery to many why Coates didn't play better against UConn's smaller defenders (Tuck and Collier/Williams). Maybe Maryland was able to isolate Jones more because she didn't share the lane with a player like Wilson.

Maryland spreads you out more. You have to play close on the perimeter when you played them. With SC, you can sag in the paint and set up camp there.. eliminating our post players. Coates doesn't stray farther than 10 feet from the goal.. whereas Wilson likes to hang out on the wings and work her way to high post and you have to guard her out there, hence why Wilson always performed better vs. UConn.. you have to guard her all over the floor.

Reaction Score
Maryland spreads you out more. You have to play close on the perimeter when you played them. With SC, you can sag in the paint and set up camp there.. eliminating our post players. Coates doesn't stray farther than 10 feet from the goal.. whereas Wilson likes to hang out on the wings and work her way to high post and you have to guard her out there, hence why Wilson always performed better vs. UConn.. you have to guard her all over the floor.
Also playing around christmas time for Maryland, and playing in February against South Carolina. Geno has his team working its way to march by the time they play South Carolina, and his rotation is set.

Reaction Score
XgUebym.jpg

He sounds Geno-esque to me.

Some rookies need time to adjust to the speed. I feel like it's mostly post players who encounter this. Maybe Brianna is encountering this. Don't know, give the coach a break.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Also playing around christmas time for Maryland, and playing in February against South Carolina. Geno has his team working its way to march by the time they play South Carolina, and his rotation is set.

Also this.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Nah. Jones played well against UConn as a sophomore in the Final Four. She was Maryland's leading scorer in that game. Coates just struggled against UConn in ways Jones did not. There are probably a few reasons but timing on the schedule is not one of them. It would seem South Carolina and Coates should have been working their way to March too, no?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maryland spreads you out more. You have to play close on the perimeter when you played them. With SC, you can sag in the paint and set up camp there.. eliminating our post players.
Maryland also had for the 2015-16 season the nations best 3PT Bomber on the squad in Shatori Walker-Kimbrough. Shatori didn't fall much either for the 2016-17 season, she finished 8th nationally in 3PT FG% . When you combine the nation's best shooter by FG% in Jones with nation's best 3PT bomber you have to guard the entire floor not just the perimeter. SC rosters under Dawn has never had an adequate 3Pt bomber to compliment post play.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Maryland also had for the 2015-16 season the nations best 3PT Bomber on the squad in Shatori Walker-Kimbrough. Shatori didn't fall much either for the 2016-17 season, she finished 8th nationally in 3PT FG% . When you combine the nation's best shooter by FG% in Jones with nation's best 3PT bomber you have to guard the entire floor not just the perimeter. SC rosters under Dawn has never had an adequate 3Pt bomber to compliment post play.

Exactly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom