Brimah, 17 minutes, one foul | The Boneyard

Brimah, 17 minutes, one foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A big improvement for him. He played within himself even if he was a bit late on his blocks. Maybe that's why he didn't foul.

I do hope this becomes a trend.

Reaction Score
Kind of wish he would hold his hands up a bit higher on the post ups and make the offensive player shoot over him. With the new rules regarding defensive play in the post you pretty much can't touch a guy so they can back you down for however long they want until they decide to make a move, Brimah was making it too easy for Young by waiting to fully extend himself after the shot was released and going for impossible blocks. He would've been better off just holding his arms up high.

Reaction Score
I know it shouldn't be particularly impressive when a 7-footer dunks the basketball, but I loved the fact that Brimah caught the ball above his head, kept the ball there, and finished strong on his one basket last night. So many big guys don't do that - if that were Olander or Nolan, they bring the ball down and either get stripped low or blocked/fouled high because of the extra split second it takes to bring the ball down and then back up.

Reaction Score
LOL, Brimah is a riveting player to watch, and really fun to watch. Its like seeing a baby walk for the first time, and enjoying every step knowing he will run someday.

Anyway 1 foul is a success for him, as he was in school all night long. I hope he learned a lot as I think this season he will be taking a lot of notes.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It was a tough matchup for him and I think that's why we saw Olander a lot. He just couldn't body up Young well enough to warrant him being out there for long stretches and Olander was actually doing a decent job. I was impressed by him on that feed from Bazz though, great job not bringing the ball down.

And this has happened in previous years, but when we get "block" happy it puts the players out of position to box out and rebound. Happened on a couple crucial plays down the stretch where multiple guys were going for the block and leaving their guys under the hoop.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kind of wish he would hold his hands up a bit higher on the post ups and make the offensive player shoot over him. With the new rules regarding defensive play in the post you pretty much can't touch a guy so they can back you down for however long they want until they decide to make a move, Brimah was making it too easy for Young by waiting to fully extend himself after the shot was released and going for impossible blocks. He would've been better off just holding his arms up high.
I felt he's regressed the past two games which is to be expected by a raw freshman. He's still trying to figure out his motion on defense. He does't want to block a shot too quickly to avoid the up fake and foul, but he's now a beat behind the shot. He's keeping his hands down to prevent being pushed around but he's not taking advantage of his length to make shots more difficult if he keeps up his arms. It will be interesting to see if he gets this timing down.

What concerns me the most is that he doesn't turn to face the basket when a shot is taken. And he struggles to gather a ball off a rim. He's got decent hands when the ball is passed to him, so I imagine it's a matter of insecurity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In a physical game like the one yesterday, I would have been OK in Brimah picking up a few more fouls. I thought he was a little intimidated by Young, and was not as aggressive as he could have been defensively.

The only "new rule" on post defense is the No-Duke rule where you can't jump under a guy in the air and get a charge. I didn't love the officiating last night, but you can still bump inside.

Reaction Score
In a physical game like the one yesterday, I would have been OK in Brimah picking up a few more fouls. I thought he was a little intimidated by Young, and was not as aggressive as he could have been defensively.

The only "new rule" on post defense is the No-Duke rule where you can't jump under a guy in the air and get a charge. I didn't love the officiating last night, but you can still bump inside.

Lol, that's not true at all, you can't put a hand on a guy in the post now, they never enforced that before. Its why you see guys now defending the post with there hands damn near tied behind their backs when they're getting backed down.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know it shouldn't be particularly impressive when a 7-footer dunks the basketball, but I loved the fact that Brimah caught the ball above his head, kept the ball there, and finished strong on his one basket last night. So many big guys don't do that - if that were Olander or Nolan, they bring the ball down and either get stripped low or blocked/fouled high because of the extra split second it takes to bring the ball down and then back up.
That is 100% correct. I never understood why players that tall who catch the ball close to the basket feel the need to put it back on the floor. I think Brimah has learned an incredible amount in the short time he's been playing hoops. I really see a huge upside for his potential...

Reaction Score

Take a minute to read what you swiped, the following rules extend to defense in the post. Its why our guys no longer keep a forearm in the offensive player's back when they're being posted up and backed down, and instead either have the arms at their sides raised fully extended or towards their heads.

The committee wants the following types of personal fouls be called consistently throughout the game:
•When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent;
•When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent;
•When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent;

Reaction Score
One foul, one rebound.

I would prefer four fouls and four rebounds.

Reaction Score
And this has happened in previous years, but when we get "block" happy it puts the players out of position to box out and rebound. Happened on a couple crucial plays down the stretch where multiple guys were going for the block and leaving their guys under the hoop.

This concerns me as well. It's like Brimah realizes the only thing he can do on the court is block shots, so he's going to try to do it every time. Meanwhile, he rarely actually gets the block, and instead leaves the opponent available for a wide-open easy putback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom