Brief Thoughts | The Boneyard

Brief Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been a frustrating week, there are no two ways about it. Coming into this week, I figured we would probably split, but I was also hoping that the team had turned a corner and that we might be able to steal both games. These two losses have definitely served as a bit of a reality check.

That said, you can only do so much hollering about a loss that boiled down to some pretty simple things:

1. Amida Brimah played nine minutes. This is a completely different team with him on the court versus him off the court, and although I say this after pretty much every game, it's worth re-emphasizing after a contest in which he played less than a quarter of.

Needless to say, there has become a major problem, and the ceiling of this team is very much defined until it is solved. He struggles mightily defending strong, skilled post players and has for his entire career. Part of this appears to be an absence of lower-body strength, part of it is undeveloped basketball instincts. And yes, I am aware it was a tough whistle tonight. But sloppy footwork, flailing arms and poor technique - traits Brimah displays regularly - isn't going to be awarded by the officials. He needs to adapt or this team won't be playing past the second week of March.

2. Ryan Boatright. I love the kid, respect him for gutting it out through injuries, etc. It isn't even like he was that bad tonight; he played tough defense on Randle and created a handful of open threes. But consecutive outings of eight and seven points, on 6 of 22 shooting, won't cut it from our senior captain.

3. Stanford played really well. This sometimes gets lost in the way we isolate variables (i.e., UConn performs in a vacuum). They shot 10 of 22 from three and hit some tough, contested shots. Some of this was lackadaisical defense, but when UConn cranked up the defense in the second half they still hit timely shots to fend us off. If UConn played on Tuesday the way they did tonight, maybe they win that game.

There's plenty more to talk about, but that should cover it as a sparknotes version. You aren't going to win many games when your best player is injured and/or playing below his standards, your second best player is a de facto DNP, and the other team hits some tough shots and plays really well.

The next two games are at home against Central Florida and South Florida. If we lose those, well...I might have to take a break from this board. But I expect wins and I haven't given up on this team. We make mistakes that are not inconsistent with what you'd expect from a young team, and all of the imperfections that result from inexperience are exacerbated by being defending champs and having a leader at half-speed. If it doesn't come together for us this time, I guess that's the price of doing business. The transitions from championships to what comes next have never been smooth, but the future is still bright; it's just a matter of when that future materializes.

Reaction Score
He struggles mightily defending strong, skilled post players and has for his entire career. Part of this appears to be an absence of lower-body strength, part of it is undeveloped basketball instincts.

He has worse than horrendous BB IQ and instincts. Beside blocking shots, which he does quite well, every other aspect of his defense is putrid. he'll be pretty good eventually but he frustrates the outta me

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Agree 100% and add that we're seeing more sell out over hedging on the high ball screen. Similar to mid season 2011 when teams started taking Kemba away and asking anyone else to beat them. When we can't move the ball side to side we can't penetrate the wings and that starts with boat at the top. Typically that opens up an entry pass to the post, but amida is the only offensive threat we have down low and with him on the pine there wasn't much of an answer.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% and add that we're seeing more sell out over hedging on the high ball screen. Similar to mid season 2011 when teams started taking Kemba away and asking anyone else to beat them. When we can't move the ball side to side we can't penetrate the wings and that starts with boat at the top. Typically that opens up an entry pass to the post, but amida is the only offensive threat we have down low and with him on the pine there wasn't much of an answer.

That's a good point, teams don't even bother guarding Phil on ball screens. And then even when a driver attracts a defender and drops it off to Phil, he struggles to finish. When Phil's in there it's like playing four on five offensively; that's not to single him out, I said the same about T-Sam earlier in the year and he has progressed to being at least a passable offensive player. I think Phil can do the same - he was a solid player for us last year and he can get back to that. Seems like a lot of his problems at this point are either injury related or mental.

Reaction Score
the future is not brite with next year being boatless
Boat is a good player. But he hasn't figured out how to put the team on his back and carry them to a win. At least not on a consistent basis.
He is very emotional and if the baskets aren't falling it effects his entire game. Bazz could have an off night scoring, but his defense woud pick up, or he'd have 10 assists...

Reaction Score
do not underestimate the value of boat; he only struggles this year because he has almost nil supporting pieces of Div I caliber (not even taking into account injuries he may or may not be currently nursing)

Reaction Score
I'd argue just the opposite..

Hate to agree with Chap, but next year could be pretty ugly. Boat is the only player on this team with ballhandling ability and confidence to make a play. Obviously guys can improve, but I don't think TSam and Cassell have the skills to be effective point guards at this level which leaves us with a freshman in Adams having to take over the "lead" guard role. Adams is very, very talented. But I'm not sure he's ready to be that integral to an offense.

Reaction Score
Marty Jackson said:
Boat is a good player. But he hasn't figured out how to put the team on his back and carry them to a win. At least not on a consistent basis. He is very emotional and if the baskets aren't falling it effects his entire game. Bazz could have an off night scoring, but his defense woud pick up, or he'd have 10 assists...

The only thing that stopped Boat from 10 assists yesterday (instead of the 7 he did have) is that Cassell, Calhoun and DHam missed a lot of wide open looks he gave them in the second half. He shot like crud, and we needed him to make something in order to win, but he did exactly what you suggest. He's a better defender than Bazz was too - at least in terms of setting a tone. Bazz was smart, but didn't have a get in your shirt ability/mentality.

The big advantage Bazz had was his shooting range and ability to make contested threes. He seemed to pull one of those out of his hat when he needed a lot of times, when all else failed. Boat takes so long to get his shot off (he elevates well, but it takes take to elevate) that he can't just pull up in people's faces.

Reaction Score
not too mention that boat looks very very very tired - as in very very tired of lookin every day at this massive collection of olywould recruit teammates . .

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only thing that stopped Boat from 10 assists yesterday (instead of the 7 he did have) is that Cassell, Calhoun and DHam missed a lot of wide open looks he gave them in the second half. He shot like crud, and we needed him to make something in order to win, but he did exactly what you suggest. He's a better defender than Bazz was too - at least in terms of setting a tone. Bazz was smart, but didn't have a get in your shirt ability/mentality.

The big advantage Bazz had was his shooting range and ability to make contested threes. He seemed to pull one of those out of his hat when he needed a lot of times, when all else failed. Boat takes so long to get his shot off (he elevates well, but it takes take to elevate) that he can't just pull up in people's faces.

agree totally about bazz's D
a reason why he is D league bound at times
I take bazz on offense and boat on D anyday

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I figured out who Chap is.

You can't hide behind a false persona forever. Your true self will always eventually come through.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
One of the main problems of this team is that their basketball IQ, both offensively and defensively, is outstandingly low. However, this is learned with experience, and not many of our players have large amounts of experience outside of Boat, Calhoun, and maybe Purvis.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The team next season figures to be the same guys minus an All America type PG and plus an incoming highly ranked freshman.

If we're not doing it this season, next year figures to much of the same.

Reaction Score
The team next season figures to be the same guys minus an All America type PG and plus an incoming highly ranked freshman.

I disagree. With a half season left and a full summer to work on their games I expect to see a lot of individual improvement next year.

Reaction Score
Seriously?
It's almost universally accepted in sports that returning most of your players in college means you are going to be better - individual improvement, team chemistry, older, wiser, stronger.
Seriously? You don't agree with that?

Reaction Score
One of the main problems of this team is that their basketball IQ, both offensively and defensively, is outstandingly low. However, this is learned with experience, and not many of our players have large amounts of experience outside of Boat, Calhoun, and maybe Purvis.
I completely agree. We see so many mental lapses, unforced turnovers and important missed free throws from this group. Those things can be made up sometimes by an overwhelming amount of sheer talent that this team doesn't possess. The margin for error with this group is too slim to play recklessly.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
do not underestimate the value of boat; he only struggles this year because he has almost nil supporting pieces of Div I caliber (not even taking into account injuries he may or may not be currently nursing)

Huh? I can't quite make out what you're trying to say. It's a kinda scrambled up.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seriously?
It's almost universally accepted in sports that returning most of your players in college means you are going to be better - individual improvement, team chemistry, older, wiser, stronger.
Seriously? You don't agree with that?

Are you just going to ignore the part where we lose our best player and only proven lead ball handler?

I'm sure the team will improve but losing Boat is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom