Brief thoughts | The Boneyard

Brief thoughts

Reaction Score
Without even having looked at the box score yet, I will say that it appears we have been treated to the rare irony where we can feel as if maybe we are understating our overreactions from earlier because they still seem kind of valid but at the same time they were dumb because they were from a November game that we won.

A lot of same old problems for most of it. Onuorah ended up playing his part, but for a while there it seemed like we were banging our head into a wall using him as a primary screener in high pick and roll situations. It's clear that he's going to be our best defensive option at the five, which will make it tricky to navigate the fact that he's a zero on offense.

Maybe when Jalen Adams is in magician mode that doesn't matter as much. We really got the full cycle of the Jalen Adams experience tonight. You wonder where he's at mentally and then all of a sudden you remember that he has some Kyrie in him with the way he can finish at the rim (Kyrie can do it with both hands though). I'll also say this: kid is no mental midget. The way he processes and then subverts the motives of the hedge man is uncanny and indicative of somebody who knows his craft, studies film, and has the gift for the game. He may not have all of his ish together but the dude plays like Dyson on game day and won't back down from any fight.

Gilbert has quite a bit of work to do defensively. He also struggles to shoot the ball and overcompensates by playing out of control. Pretty ordinary stuff for a player of his prototype, but you live with it because he has the invaluable skill of being able to get wherever he wants on the court. Slightly different than Boatright but a lot o similarities.

Anderson is very solid defensively and appears just good enough on the other end where the positives will outweigh the negatives. Great addition.

Vital was far from good, but I still don't quite understand the short leash. He deserved to be on the court as much or more than Gilbert, and while I understand that Gilbert is a McDonald's all-American, I'd prefer that Ollie demonstrate a bit more faith in him, not because Vital can't handle the tough love approach but because I don't think it's warranted here.

Larrier...hey, the guy can just put the ball in the basket. There are times (like the travel late) where he'll struggle to get separation against a smaller defender, but I think through time the offense will strongly resemble the '14 team where it will operate through Adams/Larrier pick and pop + Larrier post ups on switches. To be honest with you, after having gone through the last few years with some guys (Hamilton, Facey, Purvis) who often seemed scared to shoot, I'll take the chucker mentality that guys like Gilbert and Larrier come in with.

Whaley is a very intriguing prospect. Definitely needs to put on some muscle and acclimate a bit more to where he is supposed to be on the floor, but the wingspan and versatility jumps off the screen, same with Polley to a lesser extent.

I don't agree with Ollie on everything. In fact, I was ready to give him quite a bit of blame had they lost. The approach is awfully cavalier for somebody who is at least vaguely in the vicinity of the hot seat.

The guy knows what he's doing, though, and whether he's right or wrong I respect the process and the conviction with which he has gone about fixing the program. Some of the stuff he runs almost feels too idealistic...like it would work great with NBA players but maybe not college guys. It clicked with the '14 team though, and it can click in the future even if the approach is more roundabout. Right now that approach has led us to an undefeated record so now we can troll Providence fans, at least for now.

Reaction Score
Gilbert does not have Boatright’s lift. So far he can’t get shots off easily. Quick hands and some driving skill but disappointed in his 3 ability, which at his size he needs. He has a long way to go, wonder if the brace is a problem.

Reaction Score
So I missed the first half and I was marking down my thoughts during the 1st 10 minutes of the second half and what immediately stuck out was how ineffective the PnR offense was. Jalen was forcing it and seemed to have no feel and for a few minutes I forgot how ably he is able to navigate in this position. I presume rust was the culprit as he was unstoppable down the stretch.

I also totally agree about CV. He is going to be an important piece and I want to see more consistent minutes, at least for his psyche. He's not even bricking shots, every one looks on target but is back rim.

Reaction Score
Without even having looked at the box score yet, I will say that it appears we have been treated to the rare irony where we can feel as if maybe we are understating our overreactions from earlier because they still seem kind of valid but at the same time they were dumb because they were from a November game that we won.

A lot of same old problems for most of it. Onuorah ended up playing his part, but for a while there it seemed like we were banging our head into a wall using him as a primary screener in high pick and roll situations. It's clear that he's going to be our best defensive option at the five, which will make it tricky to navigate the fact that he's a zero on offense.

Maybe when Jalen Adams is in magician mode that doesn't matter as much. We really got the full cycle of the Jalen Adams experience tonight. You wonder where he's at mentally and then all of a sudden you remember that he has some Kyrie in him with the way he can finish at the rim (Kyrie can do it with both hands though). I'll also say this: kid is no mental midget. The way he processes and then subverts the motives of the hedge man is uncanny and indicative of somebody who knows his craft, studies film, and has the gift for the game. He may not have all of his ish together but the dude plays like Dyson on game day and won't back down from any fight.

Gilbert has quite a bit of work to do defensively. He also struggles to shoot the ball and overcompensates by playing out of control. Pretty ordinary stuff for a player of his prototype, but you live with it because he has the invaluable skill of being able to get wherever he wants on the court. Slightly different than Boatright but a lot o similarities.

Anderson is very solid defensively and appears just good enough on the other end where the positives will outweigh the negatives. Great addition.

Vital was far from good, but I still don't quite understand the short leash. He deserved to be on the court as much or more than Gilbert, and while I understand that Gilbert is a McDonald's all-American, I'd prefer that Ollie demonstrate a bit more faith in him, not because Vital can't handle the tough love approach but because I don't think it's warranted here.

Larrier...hey, the guy can just put the ball in the basket. There are times (like the travel late) where he'll struggle to get separation against a smaller defender, but I think through time the offense will strongly resemble the '14 team where it will operate through Adams/Larrier pick and pop + Larrier post ups on switches. To be honest with you, after having gone through the last few years with some guys (Hamilton, Facey, Purvis) who often seemed scared to shoot, I'll take the chucker mentality that guys like Gilbert and Larrier come in with.

Whaley is a very intriguing prospect. Definitely needs to put on some muscle and acclimate a bit more to where he is supposed to be on the floor, but the wingspan and versatility jumps off the screen, same with Polley to a lesser extent.

I don't agree with Ollie on everything. In fact, I was ready to give him quite a bit of blame had they lost. The approach is awfully cavalier for somebody who is at least vaguely in the vicinity of the hot seat.

The guy knows what he's doing, though, and whether he's right or wrong I respect the process and the conviction with which he has gone about fixing the program. Some of the stuff he runs almost feels too idealistic...like it would work great with NBA players but maybe not college guys. It clicked with the '14 team though, and it can click in the future even if the approach is more roundabout. Right now that approach has led us to an undefeated record so now we can troll Providence fans, at least for now.
Gilbert is mostly a good passer though, while CV, when noy hitting his threes, doesn’t do too much else at this point.

Reaction Score
Gilbert's defense is the closest to Ricky Moore's in a couple of decades. He has the chance to be the best perimeter defender we have seen in a long time. He still isn't as strong as Ricky but he is quicker and seems to have the gift for it.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is on the floor over Vital because he is attacking the basket, which is what the coaches want and what we need to be doing. Vital is killing us and not doing much other than chucking up bad threes.

Reaction Score
Gilbert's defense is the closest to Ricky Moore's in a couple of decades. He has the chance to be the best perimeter defender we have seen in a long time. He still isn't as strong as Ricky but he is quicker and seems to have the gift for it.

He appears to be the #2nd best defender in our current backcourt rotation. Really impressed with Anderson.

Reaction Score

Agreed, but His defense was atrocious when his man didnt have the ball. Night and day. Just awful

Reaction Score
Gilbert should be playing more than Vital. Short leash? Dude was 1-6 on threes and can’t dribble. You watched him launch bad three after bad three and thought he should be playing more? SMH.

Gilbert is playing like a kemba his freshman year. He had a decent game. Some bad drives but soon the game will slow down for him. It did for Bazz, Boat, Kemba, etc. Weird that someone would point out his bad 3pt shooting when he only took 2 and hit 1.

Reaction Score
I kept anticipating a big swat when somebody got beat on a drive to the hole. The block just wasn't there.
That said, the bigs on this team have more potential than any team we've had in years, on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think people forget that Vital wasn't supposed to play that much last season. His skill-set is pretty limited on the offensive end for a 1/2 guard. He can't attack the basket at all, strictly a spot-up shooter.

Reaction Score
Love the passion, veteran leadership, and athletic ability of the young forwards. Last yr's team would have lost last night's game.

Hoping the rotation settles and the chemistry grows. Much more exciting team to watch compared to the last couple..on to BU

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the sentiment that Vital is a one-dimensional player or that he provides no value when his shot isn't falling. He's not a play-maker by trade like Gilbert is, but he's capable of putting the ball on the floor and creating for others. He averaged 2.3 assists per game over the second half of the season last year and his freshman assist rate was better than Lamb's and Purvis' career mark.

It's also a little soon to tag him with the "shot isn't falling" label - which is questionable logic given everything we know about averages anyway - when he's taken ten threes on the season (and as @Walker11 points out, they haven't been bad misses).

Gilbert's contributions as a play-maker are being overstated, and through two games there is no reason to believe that he's helped us win. His assist rate is marginally better than Vital's, he's coughing up a lot of bad shots, and he's been the weak link defensively. I understand that Gilbert offers things that Vital doesn't, but I maintain that the gap in minutes between the two should be closed.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the sentiment that Vital is a one-dimensional player or that he provides no value when his shot isn't falling. He's not a play-maker by trade like Gilbert is, but he's capable of putting the ball on the floor and creating for others. He averaged 2.3 assists per game over the second half of the season last year and his freshman assist rate was better than Lamb's and Purvis' career mark.

It's also a little soon to tag him with the "shot isn't falling" label - which is questionable logic given everything we know about averages anyway - when he's taken ten threes on the season (and as @Walker11 points out, they haven't been bad misses).

Gilbert's contributions as a play-maker are being overstated, and through two games there is no reason to believe that he's helped us win. His assist rate is marginally better than Vital's, he's coughing up a lot of bad shots, and he's been the weak link defensively. I understand that Gilbert offers things that Vital doesn't, but I maintain that the gap in minutes between the two should be closed.

Vital can do more, but I think he needs to learn how to do it when his shot isn't falling.

As for the shot not falling, it's not so much that he's been missing, it's that most of the misses have been bad shots taken early in the shot clock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom