Bria and Stef, and the road to the minutest record | The Boneyard

Bria and Stef, and the road to the minutest record

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
No player comes to UConn with the intent of setting the record for the most career minutes in games as a Husky, but you know that if she does get that record she had to have been very good and very durable and on very good teams. To set the career games played mark requires some bad luck, as with potentially Morgan Tuck this year and with record-holder Kalana Greene who played in 157 games over 5 seasons. But to become the minutes record-holder, you need to have been good enough to rack up major minutes as a freshman, establish yourself as a starter for all or most of your career, avoid any injuries that will make you miss games, escape too many quick hooks in blow-outs, and help your team go very deep in tournaments. It also appears to be far better to be a guard to avoid the poundings in the paint, and none of the 7 players who finished their careers with more than 4,000 minutes was a big post player. Only two of the players were from the 1990s, so the longer seasons of recent times are also very helpful.

Many UConn stars have come and gone and run afoul of injuries or a too-short season, but two players successfully navigated the time hazards to finish far ahead of the other Huskies with more than 4600 minutes. At the top unsurprisingly is Maya Moore at 4682 in 154 games, and right behind her in 4 less games is Renee Montgomery with 4605. Following them are Tiff Hayes at 4381, Kelly Faris at 4258, Diana Taurasi (of the bad back and feet) at 4218, Jen Rizzotti at 4133, and Wendy Davis at 4053, who averaged a Husky high 31.9 minutes in 127 games in the early 1990s.

And that is where two UConn senior stalwarts named Bria and Stef come in. Both had some injuries last year that made them miss a game and cut into their minutes in other games, but both could be setting some career minutes records for UConn if everything falls into place.

Bria is currently 6th on the Husky list, just 5 minutes behind DT at 4213. At her career average of 30.5 minutes a game, she would finish 2nd all-time behind Maya at that pace if the Huskies played 15 more games this season. But she would only be 11 minutes behind, so if the average in the remaining games is 31.3, she would finish at the top. However, there is going to be some blow-outs on the way balancing out maybe four big-minute games in the NCAA tourney plus any Louisville games, so the final outcome could be close.

Stef is much further back at 3638, and at her current career pace of 26.2 mpg, she is headed toward a final total of 4131 (edit) 4031 playing 15 more games, which would place her 102 minutes behind Jen and 22 behind Wendy in what would then be 9th place. But as noted, no post player has ever gone over the 4,000 mark, so Stef would have accomplished a tremendous feat mixing durability and skill as the Big Mama of the career minutes list. And she's been making every minute count.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dobbs - very interesting - and Stef is currently averaging over 31.6 minutes a game this year so would end up with 4112 - I think your math was wrong on the 26.2 min/gm - should be 4031.
(Hartley this year is very close to her career average at 30.2)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Dobbs - very interesting - and Stef is currently averaging over 31.6 minutes a game this year so would end up with 4112 - I think your math was wrong on the 26.2 min/gm - should be 4031.
(Hartley this year is very close to her career average at 30.2)
Ah yes , was juggling this year's mpg and career mpg and didn't get either right, but she should certainly go over the 4,000 mark and likely get to the 8th best mark somewhere in the low 4100s, which is a lot of minutes for a post player to be running the court the way she does.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Here I thought you were talking about them hunting for HuskyBill's music collection...
hb's collection is all limited editions, and I do not believe that Randy Newman's song about certain people who "walk around telling great big lies" is on the front of the rack. I believe "Short Shorts" is more to his taste.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both Renee and Tiffany were quite durable. Maya was Lou Gehrig and Cal Ripken.

Bria is logging a lot of playing time. Was she concerned about PT when she signed? I doubt it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Bria averaged many more minutes as a freshman and especially a sophomore than during the last two years, so she may now be quite capable of kicking up the minutes and finishing strong. She's averaging 30.4 minutes the last 5 games, just slightly over her season's average, and in the last 15 games if all plays out normally, she will have 9 moderate to hard competition games that should put her well into the 30+ mpg average -- the Rutgers (home) and USF and Lville (away) regular season games, 2 of the AAC tourney games, and total of 4 regional and FF games in the NCAAs.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hb's collection is all limited editions, and I do not believe that Randy Newman's song about certain people who "walk around telling great big lies" is on the front of the rack. I believe "Short Shorts" is more to his taste.

Maybe.

Reaction Score
Something else that may affect Bria's total is the limited availability of substitutes to put on the floor in her stead. BTW, did Diana really lose 3 minutes of playing time between paragraphs two and four.

The real tragedy with HuskyBill's condition is that, when it rains, he's the last to know.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Does this mean they are masters of minutia?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Something else that may affect Bria's total is the limited availability of substitutes to put on the floor in her stead. BTW, did Diana really lose 3 minutes of playing time between paragraphs two and four.

The real tragedy with HuskyBill's condition is that, when it rains, he's the last to know.
DT was at 4218. Bria is at 4213, so 5 less. I do get numbers mixed up sometimes, but not sure about any perceived discrepancy there. If there was, it would be because of DT's aching back, and you can blame it on CVS and Muffet saying that DT needed some extra attention.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sounds like a good deal to me. I hate rain.
But maybe a mixture of snowy, sleety, icy, horribleness like some of us are getting tonight is more to your liking maybe? I'll take a pleasantly refreshing April shower (of NCs) any day.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Maybe.

Okay, tell me, is that just the one woman singing "We like short shorts", some kind of echo effect, a hidden chorus, or the dancer lip-syncing to a canned track. I assume the latter because she has no mic, but how is that done?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Okay, tell me, is that just the one woman singing "We like short shorts", some kind of echo effect, a hidden chorus, or the dancer lip-syncing to a canned track. I assume the latter because she has no mic, but how is that done?
Pretty sure that was lip syncing. (although could have been a hidden chorus, but I doubt it)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But maybe a mixture of snowy, sleety, icy, horribleness like some of us are getting tonight is more to your liking maybe? I'll take a pleasantly refreshing April shower (of NCs) any day.
Nope hate em all (not the NCs). Gimme nice warm dry sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom