Brewster Player Observations FYI Zane Meeks | The Boneyard

Brewster Player Observations FYI Zane Meeks

Reaction Score
Watched Brewster hit 100 the other night with 6 min left in the game. Won by 50 pts over Tilton. Amongst the highly touted stars on Brewster is a more unheralded absolutely knock down 6'9 shooter who was 5 of 6 or 6 of 7 from three point land, where all the makes were absolutely pure. Also made mid range and near the basket with either hand and was nothing but net there as well. His name is Zane Meeks, from Kansas. I don't know if it is the same Meeks basketball family that was (Duke?). He doesn't start but I'm sure he got in the neighborhood of 30 points. My guess is 230lbs. His game seemed a lot like Vance Jackson, with a bit more willingness to tangle. My 1 game analysis is that he is better than many ranked players, but I don't see him ranked at all. If we ever want to hedge our bets vs Precious, I think this kid has something to offer.

Other player takes. Jalen Lecque going to NC State is a Diallo athlete. Took a pass standing under the basket and Tomahawk dunked down into the basket without a running start. At a listed 6'4 that is probably generous but wow. Trailed and measured rejecting a breakaway Tilton dunk that was soaring and emphatic. Finds his way to the rim. Whether he can shoot I don't know, and whether college players can take away his path to the rim, we'll see.

Kai Jones 6'11 to Texas will be an excellent player. Very active, can defend stretch 4's on the perimeter with great agility, and with that agility can score around the basket. Very skinny and would have real trouble with a power player that got into his body so that he couldn't jump to defend. His low post scoring will be going around people rather than classic post moves. His quickness to the ball will get him offensive rebounds and those types of baskets.

Alonzo Gaffney 6'9 needs to fill out but will shoot the 3 well for Ohio State and is a quality active player. Anthony Walker 6'8 going to Miami is the same player as Gaffney with a bit less polish. Both of them are good active effective players that need strength and maturing with age.

Jamaal Mashburn Jr 2020 did nothing for me. Sort of a fire hydrant build that plays a bit stiff. Did hit a 3, but all in all is just another player. Depth as the 4th or 5th guard on a team like ours, otherwise I'll pass. Joel Brown going to Cal-Berkeley was a lot of speed and energy, but that worked against him at times, out of control.

Terrance Clarke 6'6 #2 I think in 2021 is clearly good, especially in the open court like this game offered. He is clearly talented and finished plays where you could see it. He is young so his body will fill out more and he'll own games. Didn't really need to shoot in this game so I don't have anything to relate to you about his stroke.

The pressure full court defense from Lecque, Clarke, Brown, Gaffney, Walker, and Jones dictated this game. Meeks I liked. I hope Hurley comes to watch Clarke and sees Meeks shoot like I did. Only 1 was actually an uncontested shot.

Faithfully submitted for boneyard consumption

Reaction Score
What were your impressions of Meeks defensively? Lateral quickness...
Meeks has essentially the same physical attributes as Vance Jackson, but my impression is that he has basketball IQ both offensively and defensively that covers weaknesses, especially in a team oriented defensive scheme. This was a fast paced defensive pressure game and he kept up and wasn't out of place. He crashed the offensive boards, competed, and seemed careful with the ball. His 3 point attempts were in the context of the offense when the game fell into offensive sets, (no heat checks or hero shots). If I was watching him as a highly touted prospect we were interested in, I would have come away satisfied. I had never heard of him before, so it's clear he made an impression. Not trying to overstate that he would be in the game as a designated shooter (like Polley) who gives you solid overall play. Not projecting him as UConn's missing link, just a solid role player, (who takes and makes shots). Obviously this is a 1 game evaluation, but I don't think I was just seeing a player that was just on a hot streak. He is complimentary with star players and contributes.

Reaction Score
Great read. Liked it so much I copied the link and sent it to a certain guy on a certain coaching staff who's been there before.

The next Rashad Anderson?

Reaction Score
That highlight clip posted by pj is exactly what I saw in the Brewster game. Range, adequate mobility, not a high flyer but gets the job done and shoots well and deep. Runs with the team, passes, and catches. Was anybody else on the boneyard following him?

Reaction Score
Not important, but If he was officially credited with 20 points in the Tilton game, then the score keeper took a break at some point in the game. When I said 5 or 6 threes it was because I wasn't sure whether his foot was on the line on one attempt. Plus, I saw multiple baskets in the paint.

pj

Reaction Score
They only credited him with 4 threes. The scorer could have jobbed him. He's had 18 and 19 in other games, so this was not a fluke.

Reaction Score
Meeks was credited with 20 points, 7 rebounds against Tilton.

His offer list: Verbal Commits

His Kansas high school highlights last year:

If he turns out like NR out of high school Dylan Windler (Belmont) sign me up. We might watch that guy light it up come March Madness if they get the bid over Murray.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not really expecting what I saw when I opened his offer list. Given he’s uncommitted he’s probably waiting for better offers.

You’re thinking of Kennedy Meeks who was a UNC kid.

Reaction Score
Watched Brewster hit 100 the other night with 6 min left in the game. Won by 50 pts over Tilton. Amongst the highly touted stars on Brewster is a more unheralded absolutely knock down 6'9 shooter who was 5 of 6 or 6 of 7 from three point land, where all the makes were absolutely pure. Also made mid range and near the basket with either hand and was nothing but net there as well. His name is Zane Meeks, from Kansas. I don't know if it is the same Meeks basketball family that was (Duke?). He doesn't start but I'm sure he got in the neighborhood of 30 points. My guess is 230lbs. His game seemed a lot like Vance Jackson, with a bit more willingness to tangle. My 1 game analysis is that he is better than many ranked players, but I don't see him ranked at all. If we ever want to hedge our bets vs Precious, I think this kid has something to offer.

Other player takes. Jalen Lecque going to NC State is a Diallo athlete. Took a pass standing under the basket and Tomahawk dunked down into the basket without a running start. At a listed 6'4 that is probably generous but wow. Trailed and measured rejecting a breakaway Tilton dunk that was soaring and emphatic. Finds his way to the rim. Whether he can shoot I don't know, and whether college players can take away his path to the rim, we'll see.

Kai Jones 6'11 to Texas will be an excellent player. Very active, can defend stretch 4's on the perimeter with great agility, and with that agility can score around the basket. Very skinny and would have real trouble with a power player that got into his body so that he couldn't jump to defend. His low post scoring will be going around people rather than classic post moves. His quickness to the ball will get him offensive rebounds and those types of baskets.

Alonzo Gaffney 6'9 needs to fill out but will shoot the 3 well for Ohio State and is a quality active player. Anthony Walker 6'8 going to Miami is the same player as Gaffney with a bit less polish. Both of them are good active effective players that need strength and maturing with age.

Jamaal Mashburn Jr 2020 did nothing for me. Sort of a fire hydrant build that plays a bit stiff. Did hit a 3, but all in all is just another player. Depth as the 4th or 5th guard on a team like ours, otherwise I'll pass. Joel Brown going to Cal-Berkeley was a lot of speed and energy, but that worked against him at times, out of control.

Terrance Clarke 6'6 #2 I think in 2021 is clearly good, especially in the open court like this game offered. He is clearly talented and finished plays where you could see it. He is young so his body will fill out more and he'll own games. Didn't really need to shoot in this game so I don't have anything to relate to you about his stroke.

The pressure full court defense from Lecque, Clarke, Brown, Gaffney, Walker, and Jones dictated this game. Meeks I liked. I hope Hurley comes to watch Clarke and sees Meeks shoot like I did. Only 1 was actually an uncontested shot.

Faithfully submitted for boneyard consumption

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom