Breanna Stewart Signs With Chinese Pro Team | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart Signs With Chinese Pro Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to media reports in China, Stewart has signed with Shanghai of the Women's Chinese Basketball Association. The signing was reported by the Xinhua News Agency and the Shanghai Daily newspaper.

The 12-team WCBA was established in 2002 and the season spans four months over the winter. Stewart is following the path of two other significant players in recent years: Maya Moore and Brittney Griner played in the WCBA under lucrative contracts.

[LINK]

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I have two reactions to this news:

1. Good for Stewie- nice paycheck and interesting experience.

2. Jeez, this will be a lot of basketball played this year, won't it? College, WNBA, Olympics, and now China too? I worry just a little about her health...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have two reactions to this news:

1. Good for Stewie- nice paycheck and interesting experience.

2. Jeez, this will be a lot of basketball played this year, won't it? College, WNBA, Olympics, and now China too? I worry just a little about her health...
she's 22 not 52... she'll be fine, Maya did (does) it

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great move - the China season is significantly shorter and has fewer added competitions than the European one so their will be more time between pro seasons. I think it is a harder transition from western to eastern culture, but in terms of athletic wear and tear, China I think is smart. And for the stars at least the money seems to be comparable.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
When I was 22 I expended at least as much energy chasing women, hopping between bars, working two jobs (one very physical) and beating up my body with illegal activities. Ahhhhhhhh youth.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
When I was 22 I expended at least as much energy chasing women, hopping between bars, working two jobs (one very physical) and beating up my body with illegal activities. Ahhhhhhhh youth.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Great move - the China season is significantly shorter and has fewer added competitions than the European one so their will be more time between pro seasons. I think it is a harder transition from western to eastern culture, but in terms of athletic wear and tear, China I think is smart. And for the stars at least the money seems to be comparable.

Shanghai is the most cosmopolitan city in China...really easy on foreigners, esp Americans.
She'll be just fine there. She'll even find old fans, I bet

Maya's choice though...Shanxi, is a small time, polluted hell-hole...(and she seems to do just fine there).
I'm sure she is being paid a small fortune to live in that cesspool.

Couple years ago, we were driving past on an expressway, thought of paying a visit to see a practice or a game and couldn't see the city at all for the haze. So we demurred.
That night, deeper into that most industrial of provences, we stayed in a small town, not too distant, that was weird.
Every morning, you had to brush the dust off your car, like it was in the throes of a volcanic eruption.
One night in that hell-hole made me sick as a dog.
We found a restaurant whose food was edible, but really scary about the cleanliness.

The kids running the hotel though, thought it was a grand place to live.

Reaction Score
Shanghai is the most cosmopolitan city in China...really easy on foreigners, esp Americans.
She'll be just fine there. She'll even find old fans, I bet

Maya's choice though...Shanxi, is a small time, polluted hell-hole...(and she seems to do just fine there).
I'm sure she is being paid a small fortune to live in that cesspool.

Couple years ago, we were driving past on an expressway, thought of paying a visit to see a practice or a game and couldn't see the city at all for the haze. So we demurred.
That night, deeper into that most industrial of provences, we stayed in a small town, not too distant, that was weird.
Every morning, you had to brush the dust off your car, like it was in the throes of a volcanic eruption.
One night in that hell-hole made me sick as a dog.
We found a restaurant whose food was edible, but really scary about the cleanliness.

The kids running the hotel though, thought it was a grand place to live.

Haven't been to Shanxi, but Shanghai is perhaps the most modern big city in the world. Amazing architecture, beautiful old buildings (some still stand on The Bund), amazing unique cuisine. It will be an amazing experience for her. Hope she will make a pot of money over there as well!

Reaction Score
I wonder what her contract will look like? I think the WNBA rookie cap is on the order of $50k.

Bet the Chinese contract starts with at least a "2" or a "3" with five more digits after it (Griner's was $600k). Not bad for a youngster. :D

Reaction Score
This is a smart move. It's a lot of $$$ and the overseas season seems to be the shortest in China.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
1,000,000 yuan per season would be $150,195

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I guess, then, that we should feel badly for Maya at having to be in Shanxi and goodly for Stewie at getting to be in Shanhai, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom