Breanna Stewart, Bria Hartley open to 3-on-3 in Olympics | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart, Bria Hartley open to 3-on-3 in Olympics

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With the Olympics adding a 3-on-3 format for the 2020 Tokyo Games, count Breanna Stewart as one WNBA player who would love the chance to play in both basketball events.

upload_2017-6-12_10-7-35.jpeg

"Sure, I'd love to do it,'' said Stewart, who won her first Olympic gold medal at the Rio Games. "Whenever I can put on a USA Basketball jersey. ... I'd be happy to."

[Story]

Reaction Score
My initial thought is maybe the 3 x 3 team should be different players from the senior team, so more players have opportunities and we'd be less likely to have a situation where players are slighted like Parker and Ogwumike with the most recent Olympics.

How about a Stewart, Loyd, and Bird 3x3 team?;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
My initial thought is maybe the 3 x 3 team should be different players from the senior team, so more players have opportunities and we'd be less likely to have a situation where players are slighted like Parker and Ogwumike with the most recent Olympics.

Or a Taurasi, Moore and Stewart team? I'd like to think THAT particular combination would be fun to watch, and hard to beat. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Don't forget Sue did say she has had her last Olympic rodeo. I think that is a good call on her part.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
My mind goes opposite to others I suppose. I agree that it should be separate of Senior National team. Maybe the ones that don't make it.

Courtney Vandersloot
Skylar Diggins
Chelsea Gray
Odyssey Sims
Nneka Ogunmike
Chiney Ogunmike
Moriah Jefferson
Jewel Loyd
Stefanie Dolson

Could get 3 great players from that list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't forget Sue did say she has had her last Olympic rodeo. I think that is a good call on her part.
Sue said recently that the door is still open. See the other thread.

In a 3 x 3 competition, I like the duo of Lou and Pheesa. I know they are still in college, but 2020 will be their second WNBA season.

I think there are 4 players selected for the 3 x 3 team. I think Maya and Tina would be unstoppable, but they should be on the 12-player team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My mind goes opposite to others I suppose. I agree that it should be separate of Senior National team. Maybe the ones that don't make it.

Courtney Vandersloot
Skylar Diggins
Chelsea Gray
Odyssey Sims
Nneka Ogunmike
Chiney Ogunmike
Moriah Jefferson
Jewel Loyd
Stefanie Dolson

Could get 3 great players from that list.
I think Nneka is almost certainly a lock for the regular team. Jewell is a strong contender, as is Moriah. Most of the others will receive strong consideration as well.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Courtney Vandersloot

Alas, Sloot plays for Hungary now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is a very TV friendly event. Fast, fast games and small, loud crowds. I enjoy it; just don't think of it as basketball. Think refs are critical in 5 on 5, check it out here.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I will think DT, Maya and Tina team is unbeatable....

Ahhhhh, Kaizen, you're right. How on earth could I forget about Tina? In DT and Maya, you have 2 wings that can shoot the lights out, or drive the basket.

In Tina, you have a dominate post player that is unstoppable on the block, and can rebound their misses for put-backs, and who is relentless on the boards.

Great observation Kaizen!!

Reaction Score
Definitely different players. We have a lot of great players, and should give as many as possible a chance to win a medal. Attempting to play in both formats would likely increase the chance for injury. If I remember correctly, Bria injured her foot playing 3-on-3 for USAB, and it affected her play for most of her junior year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hate to be contrarian but I don't think UCONN players would make out well in 3 X 3 because they are so highly schooled in the 5 X 5 and full court aspects of basketball. 3 X 3 is a completely different game which requires you to rethink spacing, help defense or not, and more one on one dribbling & freelancing than is typically optimal for the UCONN offense. Does anyone know if a country would be able to enter more than one team?

Reaction Score
I am not exactly sure as to how the process works for picking the 3 x 3 teams. It seems to include FIBA sponsored tournaments. There may also be logistical difficulties involved with a player playing on both teams. Training camps, practice games etc. Just because players want to do both does not mean it would even be possible. Hey people in Hell want ice water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom