breaking news... uconn not desperate / per rosco smith. | The Boneyard

breaking news... uconn not desperate / per rosco smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These kids don't get it. And never will. Coming off of an N/C year, 7 of9 players returning and top 5 recruting class, AD and Lamb leaving ,AO graduating after next year ,and possible NCAA ban next year , its this year or never for this bunch and there is 1 game left and their not desperate YET. Really? And Bazz says in the same story that they won last year with defense and they know this, yet 29 games into the season you can count on seeing Bazz standing there with his arms by his side 5 to 10 feet from his man and watch him shoot an uncontested 3pter and I guess hoping he misses, time and time again. GB even said the coaches have implored him to stay with his man on the on the 3 point line.( lamb, and Boat are not very good at this , he's just worse ). And they have been told to get their hands up , its not that hard ! AO still doesn' t jump for rebounds, he waits for them on his tip toes while someone 5 inches shorter jumps and gets the rebound. Ever see a player from another team run and frantically jump and dive into the stands to save the ball ? To nite we have Lamb jogging up the court after a pass , it goes out of bounds , oh well maybe next time. Have you listened to sportscasters repeatedly use the words LAZY, NO ENERGY, not getting back on D, not boxing out, not rebounding, not guarding the 3, not moving in to position to take a charge, ( has a uconn player moved into position to take a charge all year ? I dont recall seeing it not once. ) Were 29 games into the season with 1 to go but their not desperate yet. At least now we know why they dont seem to be trying harder, playing the hardest they could possibly play, all game long, giving it their best effort every second of the game. They dont get it !

Reaction Score
This team just doesnt have it, its really not even worth the time and effort to route for this team, not saying im not routing for them im just going into every game with no expectations. Im an idiot for having high expectations for this team and now I guess im an idiot for ever believing in this team. Its gotten to the point that I watch Uconn on mute, so watching them play has almost become secondary to me, ill go on the computer and just check the Uconn score every couple of minutes.

Reaction Score
These kids don't get it. And never will. Coming off of an N/C year, 7 of9 players returning and top 5 recruting class, AD and Lamb leaving ,AO graduating after next year ,and possible NCAA ban next year , its this year or never for this bunch and there is 1 game left and their not desperate YET. Really? And Bazz says in the same story that they won last year with defense and they know this, yet 29 games into the season you can count on seeing Bazz standing there with his arms by his side 5 to 10 feet from his man and watch him shoot an uncontested 3pter and I guess hoping he misses, time and time again. GB even said the coaches have implored him to stay with his man on the on the 3 point line.( lamb, and Boat are not very good at this , he's just worse ). And they have been told to get their hands up , its not that hard ! AO still doesn' t jump for rebounds, he waits for them on his tip toes while someone 5 inches shorter jumps and gets the rebound. Ever see a player from another team run and frantically jump and dive into the stands to save the ball ? To nite we have Lamb jogging up the court after a pass , it goes out of bounds , oh well maybe next time. Have you listened to sportscasters repeatedly use the words LAZY, NO ENERGY, not getting back on D, not boxing out, not rebounding, not guarding the 3, not moving in to position to take a charge, ( has a uconn player moved into position to take a charge all year ? I dont recall seeing it not once. ) Were 29 games into the season with 1 to go but their not desperate yet. At least now we know why they dont seem to be trying harder, playing the hardest they could possibly play, all game long, giving it their best effort every second of the game. They dont get it !

Agree. You said it all.

Reaction Score
Maybe this team truly doesn't feel desperate and they truly have that mentality because of last year that they can just turn it on at Tourney time and win then when the games count the most. Don't think that is going to happen based on what we have seen. However if you notice one thing about this team the one time where they really do seem to play with desperation and play well is when they fall way behind (Syracuse/Villanova) or are down 8-10 pts with a minute or so to go (TN/Cincy) and they have rallied to make it close.

One other thing, I still think it is leadership that we lack. Has anyone noticed that when we were playing well at the beginning of the year even without Boatright that Kimba was at every game even down in the Bahamas. Probably providing encouragement from behind the bench. Since the NBA season has started it has all gone down hill. Maybe we need to recruit Kimba's Mom to start showing back up at the games in Kemba's absence and she can provide the voice.

Reaction Score
SMH.gif

Reaction Score

Linky?

If true I totally agree. Call it what you will. No effort. No sense of urgency. Lack of maturity. Or just plain baby. Playing desperate, with a sense of urgency, is a phrase often used in hockey. It's not a bad thing...it's necessary given the circumstance. Maybe it's semantics but sorry, this statement by Rosco just sounds dumb.

Reaction Score
These kids aren't politicians running for office with a press secretary managing their public image. I read more into what I see on the court than what I hear in the media.

Ironically, Roscoe has been just about the only one playing with a sense of urgency and hustle the last few games.

Reaction Score
Not to blame it all on the kids, that 11 game streak last year the most remarkable in Uconn tourney history ,if not all of college basketball tourney history, that had such a profound effect on knowledgeable experienced sports people everywhere ( older , mature, experienced, been around, pretty much seen it all, they never saw anything like this before, and probably never will, ) Jay Bilas was mesmerized watching the run through 2 tourneys unfold , that said. What effect do you think it had on a bunch of impressionable 19 and 20 yearolds ? I have 5 children who can get quite full of themselves for having accomplished something less than what these kids did in a span of 1 month, with out having the added burden of being told how great they are by everyone, everywhere, all the time, on tv, ESPN, newspapers ect. for 7 months. (they became celebrities ) The work ethic and drive and hustle displayed (and absolutely nessesary last year, Uconn was not the most talented team in the country ) last year doesnt exist this year, its gone. JC said coaching this team last year was a joy, I doubt he'd use the same words this year. The comments I've read from JC and GB seam to say frustrating , uncoachable, their not listening. We've told them to do this , we've told them to do that. Fans and tv announcers and opponents alike keep saying the same thing, where' the hustle, the sense of urgency, they dont play hard or they dont play hard all game. The complaints are the same, rebounding, boxing out, getting out and guarding the 3, settle for bad shots, not driving to the rim , AO was challenged to perform by JC last year, the result, 17 and 19 rebounds against Mish. ST. and Texas, look at his totals this year against Marq. (no one over 6'7 ). Did he forget how to rebound, I dont think so. Its called playing hard, wanting it more, when things are not going well they give up instead of trying harder ( Lville Scuse first game, Marq.) They stand around in disbelief, were UCONN, why is this happening. They dont get it. 29 games 1 left, and they wont get it till its to late (season over). Iguess they call it championship hangover, and this team has a bad case of it. I don't have to like it and I dont, but it is what it is. I hope I'm wrong but I dont think I am. I think they care, they just haven't figured out that they cant just show up in a UCONN uniform and win without playing hard, and their not going to figure it this year. I kept telling my family they only lost by 2 points,3 points whatever but sadly their still losing, 1 game to go and their still not desperate. I wish they were but their not, there is almost always a valid explanation for most things, and in this case I dont believe it has any thing to do with them not caring as so many people have have posted out of frustration ( so much hate and name calling). These are the same kids we all loved last year, and their still the same kids ! We get to get on withour lives, Uconn is a part of it (family, jobs, hobbies ect.), for them at this point, this is their lives, and failure is a very hard thing to come to accept and deal with. Hopefully they will use this year as a learning experience to their benefit. They have seen the world from the top, but now their not there any more, they may not understand why, but we should. From a very very frustrated (with the season and a lot of our fans) but very PROUD UCONN family. (sorry the post is so long,)

Reaction Score
Should be an interesting series of heart-to-hearts btwn JC and the kids come April.

Reaction Score
The hardest thing to accept is that they have shown that they can play with anyone when they get fired up and play together. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened too often lately.

Reaction Score
I once captained and played in the championship game of the top level intramural league at my college. It was a very competitive league with the winners having beaten our D-3 varsity squad in a scrimmage 2 of the 3 prior years. Our team was excellent all year and had beaten our opponent in the championship game earlier in the year easily by 20+. Some of us, myself included, came into the game complacent. We got hit in the mouth in the 1st half and save for a hail-Mary shot at the end of the first half would have been down 10 to start the 2nd half. While we played better in the 2nd half, we were not able to get over the hump. There was a certain amount of shock at how hard our opponent was playing us.

Clearly, it's not the same situation. But there are parallels. I can understand how a group of 18-21 year-olds who accomplished as much as these guys did could lack a sense of urgency. And I think Kemba's and DB's encouragement helped offset JC's criticism last year to help keep kids focused and to keep fragile egos together. I think a lot of the players made their personal desires/needs secondary to the team's last year. They've tried this year, but roles, expectations, and their perspectives are very different. And now it's late for a team still trying to figure out their roles. They'll be better for it, most of them, in the future. But it's difficult to learn hard lessons on such a large stage. Individual stardom will come from team success.

Reaction Score
Not to blame it all on the kids, that 11 game streak last year the most remarkable in Uconn tourney history ,if not all of college basketball tourney history, that had such a profound effect on knowledgeable experienced sports people everywhere ( older , mature, experienced, been around, pretty much seen it all, they never saw anything like this before, and probably never will, ) Jay Bilas was mesmerized watching the run through 2 tourneys unfold , that said. What effect do you think it had on a bunch of impressionable 19 and 20 yearolds ? I have 5 children who can get quite full of themselves for having accomplished something less than what these kids did in a span of 1 month, with out having the added burden of being told how great they are by everyone, everywhere, all the time, on tv, ESPN, newspapers ect. for 7 months. (they became celebrities ) The work ethic and drive and hustle displayed (and absolutely nessesary last year, Uconn was not the most talented team in the country ) last year doesnt exist this year, its gone. JC said coaching this team last year was a joy, I doubt he'd use the same words this year. The comments I've read from JC and GB seam to say frustrating , uncoachable, their not listening. We've told them to do this , we've told them to do that. Fans and tv announcers and opponents alike keep saying the same thing, where' the hustle, the sense of urgency, they dont play hard or they dont play hard all game. The complaints are the same, rebounding, boxing out, getting out and guarding the 3, settle for bad shots, not driving to the rim , AO was challenged to perform by JC last year, the result, 17 and 19 rebounds against Mish. ST. and Texas, look at his totals this year against Marq. (no one over 6'7 ). Did he forget how to rebound, I dont think so. Its called playing hard, wanting it more, when things are not going well they give up instead of trying harder ( Lville Scuse first game, Marq.) They stand around in disbelief, were UCONN, why is this happening. They dont get it. 29 games 1 left, and they wont get it till its to late (season over). Iguess they call it championship hangover, and this team has a bad case of it. I don't have to like it and I dont, but it is what it is. I hope I'm wrong but I dont think I am. I think they care, they just haven't figured out that they cant just show up in a UCONN uniform and win without playing hard, and their not going to figure it this year. I kept telling my family they only lost by 2 points,3 points whatever but sadly their still losing, 1 game to go and their still not desperate. I wish they were but their not, there is almost always a valid explanation for most things, and in this case I dont believe it has any thing to do with them not caring as so many people have have posted out of frustration ( so much hate and name calling). These are the same kids we all loved last year, and their still the same kids ! We get to get on withour lives, Uconn is a part of it (family, jobs, hobbies ect.), for them at this point, this is their lives, and failure is a very hard thing to come to accept and deal with. Hopefully they will use this year as a learning experience to their benefit. They have seen the world from the top, but now their not there any more, they may not understand why, but we should. From a very very frustrated (with the season and a lot of our fans) but very PROUD UCONN family. (sorry the post is so long,)

Holy Wall of Text, Batman! Have you heard of paragraphs?

Reaction Score

Nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA