BREAKING NEWS: Geno just acknowledges the existence of the boneyard | The Boneyard

BREAKING NEWS: Geno just acknowledges the existence of the boneyard

Reaction Score
Geno's most underrated players:
- Debbie (Baer) Fisk: "Played point guard as well as you could play it."
- Jamelle Elliot
- Ashja Jones: "She was probably better than nine of the kids that did make the All-American team."
- Kelly Ferris
- Meghan Pattyson
- Jessica Moore
- Ashley Battle
- Barbara Turner
- Ann Strother
- The rest of the '03/'04 teams with Diana Taurasi

(Copied from Daniel Connolly tweeter)

Reaction Score
I have to say I enjoyed that live, sounds like Mir will see playing time due to the effort that she plays with. Also I wouldn’t be shocked to see Westbrook and Griffin starting with the retuning 3 starters, atlest at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
- Jamelle Elliot
- Ashja Jones: "She was probably better than nine of the kids that did make the All-American team."
- Kelly Ferris
- Meghan Pattyson
- Jessica Moore
- Ashley Battle
- Barbara Turner
- Ann Strother

Great to see Geno have Ann Strother on his most underrated list.

Reaction Score
- Jamelle Elliot
- Kelly Ferris
- Meghan Pattyson
- Jessica Moore
- Ashley Battle
- Barbara Turner
- Ann Strother

Thanks Kaizen, we unfortunately forget players like Barbara Turner, Ashley Battle and Kelly Ferris. These the the ones who do the "grunt" work. I guarantee you that every one of those players had skinned knees all season from diving for loose balls (and I wouldn't be too surprised if they also had some skinned elbows. A few times when things started to get physical Jamelle, Ashley or Barbara put their imprint onto the game.)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Saying he does not see Paige Defensive plays on highlights is hyperbole. She is a good shot blocker and has good hands for steals. She is not a Moriah or Aubrey (yet?) but she is not chop liver

Reaction Score
I'm sure the coaches get a kick out of it but just like recruits and fans from other programs, I think they are impressed with the intense level of interest shown by the group..........
Wow you said with a straight face

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have to say I enjoyed that live, sounds like Mir will see playing time due to the effort that she plays with. Also I wouldn’t be shocked to see Westbrook and Griffin starting with the retuning 3 starters, atlest at the start of the season.
As I've been saying.

Reaction Score

There is ZERO chance that Westbrook doesn't start next year, ZERO!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Clearly reading the BY is a guilty pleasure for Geno and the coaching staff. :eek:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Saying he does not see Paige Defensive plays on highlights is hyperbole. She is a good shot blocker and has good hands for steals. She is not a Moriah or Aubrey (yet?) but she is not chop liver
When it comes to playing defense most coaches judge good defense by how well a player keeps herself between the basket and the player she is guarding and preventing her from getting to the spot she wants. Also, how well she prevents the opposing player from doing the things she is trying to accomplish is a big part of playing defense. There can be players with a number of steals because of quick hands and good anticipation who have trouble keeping the playing they are guarding in front of them and going where ever they want to go. Some players are good shot blockers simply because they are tall and have long arms. I don't know where Paige fits in there.

Reaction Score
When it comes to playing defense most coaches judge good defense by how well a player keeps herself between the basket and the player she is guarding and preventing her from getting to the spot she wants. Also, how well she prevents the opposing player from doing the things she is trying to accomplish is a big part of playing defense. There can be players with a number of steals because of quick hands and good anticipation who have trouble keeping the playing they are guarding in front of them and going where ever they want to go. Some players are good shot blockers simply because they are tall and have long arms. I don't know where Paige fits in there.

If you want to see a good MtM defender look at the Fudd video in the May recruiting thread. Paige is an opportunistic defender, deflecting passes, wraparound steals, very like GWilliams but Fudd takes her on ball defense personal. The best on ball defense from a HS player I've seen is Fudd. Bueckers beats her in a one on one. And Fudd beats Bueckers. An exceptional ball handler with an array of shots will beat any single defender more often than not. But UConn plays (or wants to play) a switching MTM where players are handed off to a team mate while everyone rotates to another man . That requires knowing not only your man's tendencies but all the others' along with knowing what your team mates are about to do. It's beautiful when it done right and one of the top reasons I like watching UConn play. But it takes a long time for a team to get good at it and there are just too many new pieces to see it till maybe late next season.
UConn has been at their best defensively when defenders don't fight through high screens but switch off and rotate. That was difficult with Dangerfield as she was helpless guarding a 6'4+ post who was rolling to the basket off the switch but UConn now has a trio of 6' guards. :) Their switching MTM is also a big part of what keeps UConn's fouls down. Close MTM defense is tough to do without fouling.

And don't think Geno isn't reading the BY himself.

Reaction Score
In the several games I watched she frequently lost players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom