Breaking down UConn's roster (from David Borges) | The Boneyard

Breaking down UConn's roster (from David Borges)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you're looking for something to read during the depths of the offseason.

Despite the baseball team’s success and the arrival of enthusiastic football coach Jim Mora, UConn is still very much a basketball school. And now that almost all of the UConn men’s basketball team has arrived on campus for summer sessions, we decided to break down the Huskies’ current roster.

Yes, another player or two will likely join by the time summer is over. But the core of the team is set, with any future additions, either via the transfer portal, international players or 2022 or re-classified 2023 recruits, unlikely to be big contributors next season.

Here’s a look, by the (uniform) numbers, at what we can expect from the 2022-23 Huskies.

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball set for summer practice. Here’s what you need to know about the roster

Reaction Score

Despite the baseball team’s success and the arrival of enthusiastic football coach Jim Mora, UConn is still very much a basketball school. And now that almost all of the UConn men’s basketball team has arrived on campus for summer sessions, we decided to break down the Huskies’ current roster.

Yes, another player or two will likely join by the time summer is over. But the core of the team is set, with any future additions, either via the transfer portal, international players or 2022 or re-classified 2023 recruits, unlikely to be big contributors next season.

Here’s a look, by the (uniform) numbers, at what we can expect from the 2022-23 Huskies.

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball set for summer practice. Here’s what you need to know about the roster

I'm glad David noted this

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Alternate free link:

What a fun looking group of players we've got. I have no doubt Hurley is excited to finally have a roster that can play the way he wants. While we arm chair coaches argue over who will play, I'd be shocked if the staff even knows who is going to earn their way on to the court and how that will evolve as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the links, good stuff - couple new tidbits in there. Definitely weird that UConn's backcourt (discounting AJ as not nec a guard) is entirely brand new, have we ever experienced that before?

Reaction Score
Man, to read anything you need a subscription. Hell, I cut the cord and can't even see many games. Even the Yanks, I only get a few games a year without direct TV. It's all crazy.

Reaction Score
Man, to read anything you need a subscription. Hell, I cut the cord and can't even see many games. Even the Yanks, I only get a few games a year without direct TV. It's all crazy.
It hard to keep up with which channel the Yankee games are on. I’ve watched them on Yes, Prime, Apple+, and the peacock this season. I’ll cut the cord once there is a viable internet option to Optimum in Milford. But right now no fiber optics or even 5g

Reaction Score
It hard to keep up with which channel the Yankee games are on. I’ve watched them on Yes, Prime, Apple+, and the peacock this season. I’ll cut the cord once there is a viable internet option to Optimum in Milford. But right now no fiber optics or even 5g
Yeah, and my sports needs are so across rhe board that I need a few services to get to watch. I'm on the old school Frontier right now. 18 GPS speed. It's like dial up, only without the dial up song and "Ding! You've got mail!" LOL. MLB blackout bs is killing me. I could buy the package and not be allowed to watch half the games. I've got to give a VPN a try again.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the links, good stuff - couple new tidbits in there. Definitely weird that UConn's backcourt (discounting AJ as not nec a guard) is entirely brand new, have we ever experienced that before?
Hawkins is backcourt, right? Or did you mean starting backcourt? (Or Hawkins is a small forward, but I think of him as a 2 guard).

Reaction Score
Apparently Clingan has grown to 7'3. Good grief he's a monster.

Donovan.png

Reaction Score
Hawkins is backcourt, right? Or did you mean starting backcourt? (Or Hawkins is a small forward, but I think of him as a 2 guard).
He is a 2/3 .
With the other pick ups it seems Hurley sees him more of a 3.
We picked up 3 combo guards. Newton probably is more as a 1 the other’s 2’s
Unless he is still looking for a 3. In the portal the 3 position is his by default.
I see the key to our success more dependent on the 4 . That’s our weak link.

Reaction Score
When Sanogo comes out of the game (not talking about cupcake games) for rest or because of foul trouble, will Johnson slide over to the 5 or will Clingan play? To me that will be interesting to see

Reaction Score
When Sanogo comes out of the game (not talking about cupcake games) for rest or because of foul trouble, will Johnson slide over to the 5 or will Clingan play? To me that will be interesting to see
Both are options. It will probably depend on match ups or who is ahead in practice.

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Springs.

(Had to do it)

Reaction Score
He is a 2/3 .
With the other pick ups it seems Hurley sees him more of a 3.
We picked up 3 combo guards. Newton probably is more as a 1 the other’s 2’s
Unless he is still looking for a 3. In the portal the 3 position is his by default.
I see the key to our success more dependent on the 4 . That’s our weak link.
If indeed, Newton is our only 1, then that is the weak link. Diarra, however, was definitely brought in as the backup 1.

Reaction Score
If indeed, Newton is our only 1, then that is the weak link. Diarra, however, was definitely brought in as the backup 1.
Agreed. Diarra and Newton are both 1/2's. AJ is probably the only other guy on the team who can play the 1 if needed...don't think we want to see Hawkins or Alleyne there. A Castle reclassification would help me feel a bit better there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Diarra and Newton are both 1/2's. AJ is probably the only other guy on the team who can play the 1 if needed...don't think we want to see Hawkins or Alleyne there. A Castle reclassification would help me feel a bit better there.
I think 1 is now just about the deepest position on the roster. Weakest is probably SF. But we have enough flexible position guys that it shouldn't matter. The real issue with starting Alleyne and Hawkins is that there are no players like Alleyne and Hawkins (2/3 wings) on the bench. Instead the bench is a PG, 3 PFs and a C. The minutes will shake out however they need to, but I think starting Johnson gives us a better rounded roster with more substitution flexibility.

Reaction Score
I think 1 is now just about the deepest position on the roster. Weakest is probably SF. But we have enough flexible position guys that it shouldn't matter. The real issue with starting Alleyne and Hawkins is that there are no players like Alleyne and Hawkins (2/3 wings) on the bench. Instead the bench is a PG, 3 PFs and a C. The minutes will shake out however they need to, but I think starting Johnson gives us a better rounded roster with more substitution flexibility.
between alleyne/hawk/aj/karaban we have 4 guys ranging from 6'4-6'7 that can play SF so i don't think we are weak at any position. not many teams have a SF much bigger than 6'6 200 lbs and i'm really not worried about a slight size mismatch on the wing compared to at PG or at C. most teams play with three G lineups so that's just a concession a coach has to make.

i do agree with your last observation but based on the article from shreyas today i put the odds of samson starting over alleyne as 0%. hoping it's karaban though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Alternate free link:

Thanks Dave Borges! Good article for sure, nice breakdown on the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom