Breaking down UConn’s quarterback competition, candidate by candidate (McFarland @ Courant) | The Boneyard

Breaking down UConn’s quarterback competition, candidate by candidate (McFarland @ Courant)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well, we have 3.5 shots at finding a consistent QB this season, which in itself is better than most past years. All of them are a black box to the fan base. Hopefully, the right guy is clear to the staff and we won't have to play musical chairs. It's Edsall, so if 4 QB's don't see the field this season it means he wasn't trying. Let's start by playing less than 3 on opening day.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What's the history with Micah Leon's injuries and have there been any reports about his current level of fitness?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
More and more I read, the more and more I want Krajewski to start.

Why? I keep hearing coaches talking about how much they like Leon but he just gets hurt too much. I hear about Zergiotis' moxy and gun slinger mentality from the coaches. I don't hear much about Krajewski from the coaches. If he is lining up under C it's because he earned it with his play and not because he had coaches who were fawning over him.

Reaction Score

Why? I keep hearing coaches talking about how much they like Leon but he just gets hurt too much. I hear about Zergiotis' moxy and gun slinger mentality from the coaches. I don't hear much about Krajewski from the coaches. If he is lining up under C it's because he earned it with his play and not because he had coaches who were fawning over him.
Steven Krajewski is the guy I'd like to see win out too. He played at a very high level in Georgia, can make all the throws, is big and strong, and intelligent.
He seems to not have the bravado (confidence?) Edsall is looking for and that may be the factor holding him back.

Reaction Score
The guy who has the poise to run through at least one progression if the prime receiver is covered yet get the ball out quickly (two seemingly mutually exclusive things) has my vote. Who that will be I have no clue. And not that my vote means anything. Somehow I think the coaches know more about the Team than I do, so I will defer to them. After we have seen a couple games, well that is a different story. We'll all be experts then. ;)

Reaction Score
Well, we have 3.5 shots at finding a consistent QB this season, which in itself is better than most past years. All of them are a black box to the fan base. Hopefully, the right guy is clear to the staff and we won't have to play musical chairs. It's Edsall, so if 4 QB's don't see the field this season it means he wasn't trying. Let's start by playing less than 3 on opening day.
I think you are confusing Edsall with his two predecessors. You can argue with his choices but once Edsall picks a guy he pretty much has backed him until it is well past obvious to everyone else that a change is needed.

Reaction Score
Signs seem to point it being either Jack Z or Steven Krajewski, but the whispers (in the past) of Micah looking the part more than the rest...

This article makes me think Jack Z may be the guy all along... Limited time to prepare as a true frosh yet still got the opportunity over everyone else back in 2019... Says a lot... Regardless, whomever it is, I think we'll be more content as fans. We should be much better prepared for opportunities to win games this time around...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Signs seem to point it being either Jack Z or Steven Krajewski, but the whispers (in the past) of Micah looking the part more than the rest...

This article makes me think Jack Z may be the guy all along... Limited time to prepare as a true frosh yet still got the opportunity over everyone else back in 2019... Says a lot... Regardless, whomever it is, I think we'll be more content as fans. We should be much better prepared for opportunities to win games this time around...

Agree, but..............

The coaches have used the phrase "gunslinger" more than once when describing Jack Zergiotis. If Mike Leach were the HC, that would be a shoo in indication of a starting QB. RE may be the most risk averse HC out there; especially when it comes to the QB position. There's a reason we joke about RE's favorite ice cream flavor being vanilla.

On the flip side, it also sounds like Steven Krajewski has trouble pulling the string and zipping it to the receiver quickly enough. He has just enough doubt or hesitation causing him to miss the window of opportunity. I did like reading how Steven Krajewski enjoyed the contact in the spring and running in to and over the D.

Reaction Score

If ever there was an example of someone overanalyzing a small number of words ....

Reaction Score
On the flip side, it also sounds like Steven Krajewski has trouble pulling the string and zipping it to the receiver quickly enough. He has just enough doubt or hesitation causing him to miss the window of opportunity. I did like reading how Steven Krajewski enjoyed the contact in the spring and running in to and over the D.
Yup, this is a dynamic sport. Windows open and close in the time span of a second. Recognizing that a window is about to open and timing it well is the challenge. Regarding Steven Krajewski running, as much as I enjoyed UConn's previous running QB, I think having QB's running a lot is symptomatic of weakness and vulnerability in other basic areas of the offense. Poor pass protection, ineffective receivers, inability to establish a conventional ground game.

Reaction Score

It’s just wild that it’s been FIVE YEARS since Micah has player in a real game

Reaction Score
Sticking with one guy for the entire game is just too much to hope for.
Agreed. That is why two would be acceptable. But three shows some desperation on the part of the coaches. Plan A & Plan B, didn't work. What now?

Reaction Score
I liked the moyseenko emphasized how truly raw Jack Zergiotis was in 2019. He was out of his bounds mightily and kept us in a lot of games for a bit. I’m really high on him. Will be happy with anyone grabbing that QB1 spot early tho, think that’ll be big

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
For the first time in a while, I am psyched about our QB cadre. These gentlemen all have a lot of potential. We need someone competitive who knows what it feels like to WIN. I'm leaning toward Steven Krajewski, but am open to any of them. Let's go!

Reaction Score
For the first time in a while, I am psyched about our QB cadre. These gentlemen all have a lot of potential. We need someone competitive who knows what it feels like to WIN. I'm leaning toward Steven Krajewski, but am open to any of them. Let's go!

Agreed. I think we will see a big improvement in QB play. Way too much negativity on the board. We have a talented group, whoever wins the job should be solid.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The guy who has the poise to run through at least one progression if the prime receiver is covered yet get the ball out quickly (two seemingly mutually exclusive things) has my vote. Who that will be I have no clue. And not that my vote means anything. Somehow I think the coaches know more about the Team than I do, so I will defer to them. After we have seen a couple games, well that is a different story. We'll all be experts then. ;)
Uh...everyone on this board knows @Palatine knows more than the coaches about who should be the starting quarterback ;)

Reaction Score
I think you are confusing Edsall with his two predecessors. You can argue with his choices but once Edsall picks a guy he pretty much has backed him until it is well past obvious to everyone else that a change is needed.

I actually agree with FS. Edsall does have a good feel for Practice ... and how to determine who starts behind center. NO. We have not had oodles of talent in depth in all these years. However, he has not had a antsy trigger on moving kids off the QB slot. imho

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom