#14 Aliyah BOSTON - F - Age 19
#15 Sedona PRINCE - F - Age 21
#16 Elissa Anne CUNANE - C - Age 20

By comparison, here is the 2019 Team USA AmeriCup roster
AA004-F37-7-A99-44-A0-AF07-97899-D3-C2883.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
21-13 Brazil after 1Q. Inside game snuffed out by Brazil. Howard and Burton seem most dangerous.

Reaction Score
Looks like this young group has finally met it’s match.

29-18 BRA with 2:09 left in half.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looks like this young group has finally met it’s match.

29-18 BRA with 2:09 left in half.
Howard hits a contested 3pt shot at the buzzer to get USA back under double digits. 33-25 Brazil. Howard can handle this level. Not sure about any other US players so far. To be fair, some tough luck with Haley Jones missing 2 drives barely etc.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow, totally different story in Q3. Up 44-36 with 3 ' in Q3. They are now looking like a team which is not intimidated

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Haley Jones hero of the 3rd Q
Cunane hero of the 4th Q so far

Reaction Score
Boston shooting 3-14 and getting a glimpse of what Gamecock practices will be looking like next year.

Jones and Cunane have been impressive in the second half.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wow, totally different story in Q3. Up 44-36 with 3 ' in Q3. They are now looking like a team which is not intimidated
Those halftime adjustments that a few posters here love to say Dawn is incapable of making.

insert upside down smiley face emoji

Reaction Score
USA wins 71-60. Huge game for Cunane with 19 pts and 8 boards. 15 of those points came in the 4th qtr. alone! Hillmon-Baker and Howard with 12 pts each. Boston and Henderson had easily their worst games of the tournament. Hopefully it's their only ones.

Cardoso Silva led Brazil with 10 rebounds and 3 blocks, but only scored 4 pts on 2-4 shooting....

Reaction Score
Cunane was absurd in the 4Q. I think she will make a good Pro.
Looking at Brazil's box score, their coach, plays the older players too much. Also they don"t feed the post players at all. Brazil needs a complete overhaul in their Olympic team.

Reaction Score
agree with several of the post in the thread. I didn't watch NC State much this year but Cunane looked amazing. I knew she was good but she looked unguardable. I'm sure this team USA experience is going to help her. I thought Haley Jones, who in my opinion is one of the more underrated players in college hoops, looked great in the second half. When she's aggressive, she's fun to watch. Lastly, Brazil has a really nice team. I agree that they played the older players too much. Cardoso was impactful in her minutes but they played De Souza a lot (39 year old vet).

Reaction Score
Canada loses to host team Puerto Rico 65-61. The top 2 Group A teams (Canada and Brazil) will play for bronze tomorrow at 6:10, and the top 2 Group B teams (USA and Puerto Rico) will play for gold at 9:10....

Reaction Score
Haley Jones hero of the 3rd Q
Cunane hero of the 4th Q so far

Boston shooting 3-14 and getting a glimpse of what Gamecock practices will be looking like next year.

Jones and Cunane have been impressive in the second half.

I think something also needs to be said about Naz Hillmon's play yesterday. I think she did a great job against De Santos and was second in the amount of minutes played. Her stat line isn't anything to sneeze at either. She contributed in many areas.

Reaction Score
I get the impression that Rhyne Howard and Haley Jones need something at stake to take their games to the next level -- like an internal motivation to get their adrenaline pumping and get that laser focus. Anyone else feel the same?

Both were super impressive last night when we had to claw our way out of the hole we dug.

Reaction Score
It's a shame Rhyne didn't go to a school that's a contender, although I get the impression that doesn't bother her at all. Kentucky could never surround her with players that could help take some of the focus off her. Interested to see what team gets her next year. I hope it's not the Fever because I swear I don't think they know what they are doing up there.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It's a shame Rhyne didn't go to a school that's a contender, although I get the impression that doesn't bother her at all. Kentucky could never surround her with players that could help take some of the focus off her. Interested to see what team gets her next year. I hope it's not the Fever because I swear I don't think they know what they are doing up there.
It’s funny you post this because she almost ended up at SC. It came down to Kentucky and us.

Reaction Score
I think something also needs to be said about Naz Hillmon's play yesterday. I think she did a great job against De Santos and was second in the amount of minutes played. Her stat line isn't anything to sneeze at either. She contributed in many areas.

I agree - Hillmon-Baker and Howard were the only consistent offensive producers for the US, especially in the 1st half when the team struggled to score any baskets. I was surprised to see Boston take so many attempts - and miss them - in the 1st half. She had something like 11 attempts at halftime, when she's only been averaging 5-6 attempts per game all tournament. In fact she had been taking so few attempts, that even though she had been heads and shoulders above everyone else in the tournament - for all teams - in FG % (something around 67%), that she fell out of the statistical leaders due to falling below the minimum # of attempts per game. She still led the USA team in points per game, however.

But Hillmon-Baker and Howard kept the team close to Brazil, and then Cunane exploded in the 4th to help the US pull away in the end.....

Reaction Score
I agree - Hillmon-Baker and Howard were the only consistent offensive producers for the US, especially in the 1st half when the team struggled to score any baskets. I was surprised to see Boston take so many attempts - and miss them - in the 1st half. She had something like 11 attempts at halftime, when she's only been averaging 5-6 attempts per game all tournament. In fact she had been taking so few attempts, that even though she had been heads and shoulders above everyone else in the tournament - for all teams - in FG % (something around 67%), that she fell out of the statistical leaders due to falling below the minimum # of attempts per game. She still led the USA team in points per game, however.

But Hillmon-Baker and Howard kept the team close to Brazil, and then Cunane exploded in the 4th to help the US pull away in the end.....
I absolutely love Boston and she shoulders a heavy load for SC, but over the last season she’s been prone to a number of ugly 2-10 or 3-14-type shooting games. It’s a little unusual for a post player so dominant, but she does flex the midrange shot a bit so I suppose it’s not like she’s missing 10 layups a night. She had to play a ton of minutes last season so we’ll see if Cardoso’s arrival boosts Boston’s FG% which dropped about 11% from her freshman to sophomore years.

I don’t think she meets Boston’s overall impact on the game (thinking mostly of the defensive end), but Cunane is a fantastic finisher and she definitely isn’t afraid to shoot outside the paint as well. It’s impressive.

I haven’t looked at their respective FG%s in the FIBA tournament btw, just going off of what I know of the last year.

Reaction Score
But she wasn’t expected to be as good as she is so she chose accordingly. If she was the best player in her class in high school she probably wouldn’t have chosen Kentucky

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom