Brass Bonanza | The Boneyard

Brass Bonanza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
YOU KNOW THE TUNE: The UConn hockey team played "Brass Bonanza," which for years was the Hartford Whalers' song, after goals during an exhibition game against Dalhousie Oct. 5 in Storrs. The Huskies are considering it as their official goal song moving forward. The Hartford Whalers Booster Club voted unanimously Monday at its monthly meeting to approve UConn's use of the song.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-extra-credit-1016-20141015-story.html

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When my son got married out in Pasadena a few years ago, as the ceremony ended (it was outdoors) the band struck up Brass Bonanza. It took me a few seconds for it to register and then I cracked up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First, hearing this always brings back memories of going to the games. That said for a while I thought "let it go" but tonight I'm thinking this would be pretty cool and a way to draw in some old Whale fans to UConn hockey. Once you get em in the door I think they'll be hooked.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
First, hearing this always brings back memories of going to the games. That said for a while I thought "let it go" but tonight I'm thinking this would be pretty cool and a way to draw in some old Whale fans to UConn hockey. Once you get em in the door I think they'll be hooked.

Never "let it go". Brooklyn Dodger fans never let it go and they are saluted for it. The main difference is that the Whale had better attendance .

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Never "let it go". Brooklyn Dodger fans never let it go and they are saluted for it. The main difference is that the Whale had better attendance .

It is not that I think "Let it go," I love the crazy Whalers fans. Even as someone who adopted Connecticut after attending UConn, I have my Whalers gear and won't "Let it go." But what I think is, how the heck does a booster club of a nonexistent team have any say in who does and doesn't play a song.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It is not that I think "Let it go," I love the crazy Whalers fans. Even as someone who adopted Connecticut after attending UConn, I have my Whalers gear and won't "Let it go." But what I think is, how the heck does a booster club of a nonexistent team have any say in who does and doesn't play a song.

They can make a stink. The XL wasn't going to fly Whalers banners until they made went to the papers...now they are back up.

Reaction Score
GOV. MALLOY: LEGACY OF THE HARTFORD WHALERS DESERVES A CONTINUED PRESENCE AT THE XL CENTER
Governor Asks Whalers Banners to be Put Back into Place in the Arena

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that he asked the leadership of the Capital Region Development Authority (CRDA) to rehang the Hartford Whalers banners at the newly renovated XL Center, and the agency wholeheartedly agreed.

“The XL Center holds great value for the State of Connecticut and for our capital city, and we are proud of its legacy – which includes nearly two decades of being the home of Whalers hockey,” Governor Malloy said. “This arena serves as an important economic driver for the Hartford region, and while the newly unveiled renovations represent its next phase, we should continue to honor and celebrate its history.”

CRDA has indicated that the banners will be up in time for the opening game of the Hartford Wolf Pack on Saturday, October 18.

Reaction Score
Just another nail in the Whaler coffin. 10 years from now kids will only know the song as the Uconn hockey song.

Reaction Score
As a UConn alumnus I prefer UConn Husky as the official song, but I get this, and they've played it after goals in the past at Freitas. The way to go might be Brass Bonanza after goals and Husky as the team takes and leaves the ice.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
...how the heck does a booster club of a nonexistent team have any say in who does and doesn't play a song.
I thought the same thing when I read it. It's not like they own the rights to the song. them even if they said no.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah it's not that I'm saying forget about the Whalers, but for a while I thought that it was best Brass Bonanza in the past rather than try to apply elsewhere, say at the Rent. But I think enough time has passed that using it at UConn hockey games would be kind of cool.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I think enough time has passed that using it at UConn hockey games would be kind of cool.

But what I think is, how the heck does a booster club of a nonexistent team have any say in who does and doesn't play a song.

Being able to say that the HWBC approved it makes it's use at UConn games even cooler.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
http://www.funkydawgzbrassband.com/ Recent UCONN grads who were in the marching band. New Orleans style Play lots of bars, clubs and festivals and rapidly expanding their geography. They would be perfect for the job!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom