Branding (Men's Basketball & FootballUniforms) | The Boneyard

Branding (Men's Basketball & FootballUniforms)

Reaction Score
Hi all,

New to the page as you can probably tell by the amount of likes/comments I have.

I thought an interesting topic of conversation would be the branding of the athletic program as a whole, but particularly focusing on the football team's and men's basketball uniforms. As we head into an era of uncertainty with our recently abysmal football program combined with the optimism of a hopeful revival of a historic men's basketball program, it seems more important than ever to have consistent uniforms across all departments to accurately represent what the school believes/wants others to believe. To me, I get a more official/business-like vibe from the school with the block-C. It reminds me of the likes of Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame with their uniforms. Super excited to have it back. Although I've loved the Husky image (especially the retro one), I think we should prioritize the block-C and have the Husky image as more of an alternative logo (think of how Oregon utilizes the duck on their uniforms). The block-C could do well on the basketball uniforms too, I think. Although I have really liked the cool, modern designs of recent men's (and women's) uniforms, I think the department could come together with a consistent and official look that can be used across all sports to establish a tradition with our uniforms.

With time, this could ideally help with recruiting as we have the culture/brand/uniforms all in line?

I don't know where others might stand, I could definitely be crazy.

Thanks for reading, psyched to be apart of the boneyard!

- GoatHouse

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.51.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.51.43 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
Reaction Score
Good luck satisfying multitudes of varied Connecticut/UConn opinions, but which part of Oregon’s 88 various gridiron and other teams’ uniforms are consistent with Bama’s absolute standard or what you term “a more official/business-like” uniform consistency? Unlike the latter, the former’s all over the place with or possibly due to Nike’s help.

Even traditionalist Notre Dame tosses in kelly green and different hues of gold to purportedly spice up their uniforms. Despite wavering efforts to standardize at a university-level, good, not so much, or indifferent Connecticut/UConn’s dynamic across sports. And, coming soon independently NNBE.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the football program going back to Edsall's choice of helmet, logo and colors represents an abandonment of the recent attempt to have one universal logo and look for all athletic programs. It's probably a sign that Nike no longer gives a crap about what we do with the football program.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Basketball is far and away our biggest brand, so getting rid of their branding to adopt the football team's just sounds nutty to me. Especially during a time where we are trying to get back into the national spotlight.

Reaction Score
All schools, football and basketball, now use 3-4 different unis per season. Modern, throwbacks, weird color schemes, etc. Hoping going to the NBE makes us contemplate readopting the CONNECTICUT unis. Just use both!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hi all,

New to the page as you can probably tell by the amount of likes/comments I have.

I thought an interesting topic of conversation would be the branding of the athletic program as a whole, but particularly focusing on the football team's and men's basketball uniforms. As we head into an era of uncertainty with our recently abysmal football program combined with the optimism of a hopeful revival of a historic men's basketball program, it seems more important than ever to have consistent uniforms across all departments to accurately represent what the school believes/wants others to believe. To me, I get a more official/business-like vibe from the school with the block-C. It reminds me of the likes of Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame with their uniforms. Super excited to have it back. Although I've loved the Husky image (especially the retro one), I think we should prioritize the block-C and have the Husky image as more of an alternative logo (think of how Oregon utilizes the duck on their uniforms). The block-C could do well on the basketball uniforms too, I think. Although I have really liked the cool, modern designs of recent men's (and women's) uniforms, I think the department could come together with a consistent and official look that can be used across all sports to establish a tradition with our uniforms.

With time, this could ideally help with recruiting as we have the culture/brand/uniforms all in line?

I don't know where others might stand, I could definitely be crazy.

Thanks for reading, psyched to be apart of the boneyard!

- GoatHouse

UConn literally went through this exact exercise to harmonize the branding and uniforms a few years ago. Then Randy came in and wanted the Football uniforms of his successful past. I'm ok with football Block C being an exception, the way the script C is for baseball, but let's end it there and otherwise keep what we did a few years back. To be clear, I don't want to see the block C extended to any other sport.

Reaction Score
Is goat house a UConn reference or a BMS reference? Because I spent many weekend nights at the UConn goat house

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Is goat house a UConn reference or a BMS reference? Because I spent many weekend nights at the UConn goat house

I'm assuming based on his logo that it's a Hartford Yard Goats reference.

Reaction Score
Good luck satisfying multitudes of varied Connecticut/UConn opinions, but which part of Oregon’s 88 various gridiron and other teams’ uniforms are consistent with Bama’s absolute standard or what you term “a more official/business-like” uniform consistency? Unlike the latter, the former’s all over the place with or possibly due to Nike’s help.

Even traditionalist Notre Dame tosses in kelly green and different hues of gold to purportedly spice up their uniforms. Despite wavering efforts to standardize at a university-level, good, not so much, or indifferent Connecticut/UConn’s dynamic across sports. And, coming soon independently NNBE.

I guess I was trying to group Oregon because although they have an obscene amount of alternative unis, they still have the classic "O" that most people will say is their historical/traditional uni. What would people say for our football team? Block-C? Husky? The front-facing husky in the picture below? I don't know.. I'm not so hellbent on block-c, I just want consistency!!! huskyfootball.jpg

Reaction Score
Yard Goats reference... although I am a big fan of the show as well. Name was inspired by a shirt at DD Park that read "Party at the Goat House". And here we are

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom