Brand New Pod! Scouting the Zags | The Boneyard

Brand New Pod! Scouting the Zags

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Kyle Bankhead, Assistant Coach for the San Francisco Dons joins me the preview Gonzaga. The Zags were his responsibility to scout this year. He's also a former Gonzaga player. He talks about how he scouted this Bulldogs team, ways to try and stop Drew Timme, where the Zags might be vulnerable, and more. Audio up on the pod players shortly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doom---33.jpg

Reaction Score
I hope Hurley gets the refs to watch out for the hook. Timme's footwork is solid, but in the games I've watched, he also got away with 2-3 obvious hooks before dropstopping a defender.
Would like to see Sanogo go up strong without fading away a few times because Timme will walk into a big man's body when they go up.

Should be an interesting matchup though. He moves with and without the ball pretty well on the offensivve end. Clingan is going to have to move his feet when he comes in.

Reaction Score
To me, Timme reminds me of Larry Bird with the way he moves. Not a physical specimen, not terribly athletic or flashy, but just seems to always be in position to make a play. He’s just good ball player.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
To me, Timme reminds me of Larry Bird with the way he moves. Not a physical specimen, not terribly athletic or flashy, but just seems to always be in position to make a play. He’s just good ball player.
he is not a Bird in any manner, except he is a big white guy he passes well, but his shot is hit or miss at best. Bird had a killer instinct and Timme doesn't

Reaction Score
he is not a Bird in any manner, except he is a big white guy he passes well, but his shot is hit or miss at best. Bird had a killer instinct and Timme doesn't
I said moves like him. He’s not a killer shooter. He is around the ball. You don’t put 30 without being around the ball.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
This is wild!

caw

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to put a “bird” in the refs ears about Timme traveling on many of his inside moves to the rim.

Yeah, he gets away with a lot with his rep. That said Sanogo does at times also.

They are probably the two post players in the nation with the best footwork.

Statistically they are pretty similar players on a per minute basis.

Timme is a better passer, though Sanogo isn't bad now. Sanogo is the better shooter, Timme is 19 of 75 from three in his career (4-24 this year), Sanogo is 17-48 this year. Timme is pretty money from inside the foul line though. He has fantastic touch inside the FT line, whereas Sanogo rarely takes a shot that would be considered mid-range (he took more last year I believe and was pretty money).

Sanogo is a better FT shooter, but Timme gets to the line at a much higher rate (overall and per minute). This is the biggest difference in their scoring averages.

I don't think UConn will double Timme to start though, he has some nice moves but doubling will just open up the shooters. Much like how teams are forced to defend Sanogo one-on-one a lot of the time due to shooting threats. I would assume Gonzaga will do the same. I would bet Gonzaga tries to get Sanogo in foul trouble as that is the most likely way for them to win. Just have to trust that Sanogo can play him straight up to start and not foul.

UCLA fell into three issues playing Gonzaga after a wonderful first half.

1) They had nobody to challenge Timme to play defense and no big to come in and spell the guy who did start which led to the UCLA center playing very passively on defense a lot of the night. Timme really had an easy cover down low all game. Though he did sometimes defend Jaquez (6'7), it was less than four minutes of game time that one of UCLA's poor centers were in and he only defended Jaquez because he was the biggest UCLA player on the floor. It was just embarrassing how bad UCLA was down low. Actually worse than Arkansas, and Arkansas wasn't particularly good. Iona and SMC may not have outstanding centers but both had better and bigger centers than anyone Timme faced so far in the tournament. It will be his biggest challenge.

2) They played way to fast. They are a slow it down, grind it team but they played fast and looked drained in the second half. For some reason they tried to play at Gonzaga's pace.

3) The above leads to the third issue, they lacked the depth to play at that pace. It's not their style and they were short handed. Just a poor decision by Cronin to let them go at that pace. Wore them down as the game went on. It's one thing for a team like Creighton who has played that way most of the year. UCLA was not used to that situation and it showed.

Gonzaga only has one decent big off the bench in Gregg, and he is decent but a big drop off from Timme.

They two guards they bring off the bench do have size and strength. They are one of the bigger backcourts UConn has faced this year. Less athletic but much better shooters than Arkansas.

This is (obviously) the second team that Joey has history with. He put up 11 in one game last year on 5-10 and 1-1 from three.

Gonzaga is as prone to making 10-0 runs as UConn is, and doesn't give up a ton (like UConn). Where UConn relies on it's defense to stifle runs, Gonzaga relies on its superb offense to stop other teams from having extended runs.

Gonzaga only wins if they can find a way to play better defense close to UConn's level. This could be a very high scoring affair, I would bet at least one team hits the high 80s.

I do wonder if they try their PF on Sanogo to save Timme, as he is their best defender, but he is too short and light to really defend Adama. And that makes Timme have to defend Karaban, which is also a bad idea for them as Karaban lives from the three point line. They could put Timme on Jackson I guess, but I don't think that will work anymore. They could also try double bigs, but then so can UConn.

Reaction Score
Usually love these pods, to the point that my wife and I listened on our way to breakfast at 8 a..m. to get her prepped for tonight.

When we finished listening to this one, I turned to her and said “Should we even bother showing up tonight?”

Timme is a rich man’s Christian Laettner. They have the Splash Bros. warriors backcourt, but they are all 6-foot-7. More depth than any team ever assembled and will only add to their lead when Timme gets bored with scoring at will. Great at defense. And the best crowd that ever traveled to watch a basketball game will be there supporting the Zags.

In short: Dooooomed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom