PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
no one at all from new england ; one from ny; one from nj

that includes honorable mentions

think that's ridiculous

guess the northeast just doesn't give a hoot about girls' basketball

Reaction Score
My judgment may be skewed on this, but I really don't see Betts as the best player in the class. I'd have selected Rice over her easily. Just as an example, comparing Betts to Brink at comparable points in the FIBA games, Betts just looks slow. Brink took a while to develop her skills, but she was never slow, and she wasn't at the top of the rankings in HS. I hope to see Betts develop, too, and maybe practicing against Brink will help them both.

Reaction Score
My judgment may be skewed on this, but I really don't see Betts as the best player in the class. I'd have selected Rice over her easily. Just as an example, comparing Betts to Brink at comparable points in the FIBA games, Betts just looks slow. Brink took a while to develop her skills, but she was never slow, and she wasn't at the top of the rankings in HS. I hope to see Betts develop, too, and maybe practicing against Brink will help them both.
Betts is a 5, while I think Brink is more of a forward who has been playing a 5. So you were watching the two previous u19 squads to make comparisons? In 2019 Brink hardly played for that team. She one of 4 rising seniors on the team, but didn't have that big of an impact. Betts was in a similar position in being a rising senior. But she was dominant in her tournament. Betts took the starting center spot and didn't look back. I wouldn't compare Betts to Brink, who is very athletic for her size. Compare her to other 5s or even other 6'7 girls, she moves well.

But I do agree that Rice probably should have gotten the award over Betts. But she already got another POY award, and they tend to spread out the awards if there isnt one clearly ahead of the pack player.

Reaction Score
So you are rating Betts over Brink at comparable stages of their careers. As did I also a few weeks ago to great uproar here. And now Brink is an all American.

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz had Brink rated number 3. . . - Same as Boston ranking the year before.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congratulations to our two incoming freshmen. We're not the only ones that perceive them to be ELITE wbb players. This award only raises the expectation bar that was already high. Some UConn fans expect them to come in and play at the level of greatness they played at in high school right away. That's not going to happen. They go from being the oldest and most experienced players on the court to the youngest inexperienced on the court.

No one knows RIGHT NOW (May 10) how fast either of them will develop this year, or how fast they will raise the level of their game to be able to play with their new teammates and against elite opponents without hurting the team or embarrassing themselves. Geno has told us on more than one occasion that he will never put a player on the court if there is a chance she would embarrass herself. We'll get report this summer and again once official practice begins around the second week in October.

Even the great ones had that "period of adjustment." So too will Brady and Patterson. Based on the level of competition that UConn plays in the preseason, it would be nice if one of them made that transition by the time they play that first exhibition game in early November.

Reaction Score
It's reasonable to hope that either Patterson or Brady or both achieve as much their frosh year as Edwards. Edwards often got by early on as much on her physical skills as her basketball IQ. Patterson and Brady may stumble at times learning the UConn system but are both physical/athletic players and are unlikely to get intimidated by more experienced competitors. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Reaction Score
It's reasonable to hope that either Patterson or Brady or both achieve as much their frosh year as Edwards. Edwards often got by early on as much on her physical skills as her basketball IQ. Patterson and Brady may stumble at times learning the UConn system but are both physical/athletic players and are unlikely to get intimidated by more experienced competitors. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
I second this sentiment. And I think Ayanna is intimidated by nobody. I also notice that both Ayanna and Ice played on teams with uneven (that's my generous term) guard play. I wonder how they'll do surrounded by the best guards in the country.

Reaction Score
Betts is a 5, while I think Brink is more of a forward who has been playing a 5. So you were watching the two previous u19 squads to make comparisons? In 2019 Brink hardly played for that team. She one of 4 rising seniors on the team, but didn't have that big of an impact. Betts was in a similar position in being a rising senior. But she was dominant in her tournament. Betts took the starting center spot and didn't look back. I wouldn't compare Betts to Brink, who is very athletic for her size. Compare her to other 5s or even other 6'7 girls, she moves well.
You're absolutely right. My survey isn't very scientific, and Brink didn't get a lot of PT in that tournament and Betts did. But somehow she didn't impress me with her speed or energy. Brink may be a natural 4, but Tara is playing her at the 5 spot and that's who Betts will compete with in practice and for PT. That said, I'm sure Betts will get PT, since Brink only averaged 22 mins. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tara try a twin towers approach even for part of the time. Just looking at last year's stats for PT, there's a significant hole there for Betts to fill, no matter what happens.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's very reasonable to hope!!! I do. There's greatness within both of them. Greatness usually has a way of finding its way to the surface. Both of these players have some "DOGG" in them. The kind of Dogg that NyLissa Smith, Kierstan Bell and Rhyne Howard have. Play hard from tip to buzzer. Take no prisoners and no plays off.

When you saw them play, you knew they would fit seamlessly into the fabric of the WNBA. They were the best players on their team. They are all playing well. I see that same heart & soul in these two that we see in Smith Bell and Howard. They are both SUPER talented athletes and neither of them do "magic tricks." ;)

One more thing HopJim.......you know as well as I do, the more you play, the more you play. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's very reasonable to hope!!! I do. There's greatness within both of them. Greatness usually has a way of finding its way to the surface. Both of these players have some "DOGG" in them. The kind of Dogg that NyLissa Smith, Kierstan Bell and Rhyne Howard have. Play hard from tip to buzzer. Take no prisoners and no plays off.

When you saw them play, you knew they would fit seamlessly into the fabric of the WNBA. They were the best players on their team. They are all playing well. I see that same heart & soul in these two that we see in Smith Bell and Howard. They are both SUPER talented athletes and neither of them do "magic tricks." ;)

One more thing HopJim.......you know as well as I do, the more you play, the more you play. :cool:

Carnac, I usually agree with you, but not about Rhyne Howard playing hard all game. When she plays hard on offense and defense, she is really good, but she takes many plays off and can disappear for long stretches.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, I usually agree with you, but not about Rhyne Howard playing hard all game. When she plays hard on offense and defense, she is really good, but she takes many plays off and can disappear for long stretches.
I’ve only seen Howard 3-4 times in college and the W. I was impressed the times I saw her including Kentucky’s win over South Carolina in the SEC Conference championship game. She had a game high 21 points today in her team’s 77-75 win over the LA Sparks.

You’ve obviously seen her more than I have, so I don’t doubt or question your observations of her. She sure didn’t look like a rookie tonight. I hope that either or both of our incoming freshmen look as good as she did tonight at the beginning of UConn’s season in November.

Reaction Score
Can’t wait for these two!

3589E390-3253-4F4F-8C20-20D27B3ACFFC.jpeg

Reaction Score
no one at all from new england ; one from ny; one from nj

that includes honorable mentions

think that's ridiculous

guess the northeast just doesn't give a hoot about girls' basketball

Maybe they picked it based on talent, instead of just distributing it equally based on geography.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
no, maybe girls in the northeast for some reason have less interest in basketball than other regions.

don't you wonder why that might be the case? they certainly are just as capable of excelling, aren't they?

maybe northeast girls are more interested in accounting? they lack the drive to succeed? i hope not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom