Bracketology - week of Feb 5th | The Boneyard

Bracketology - week of Feb 5th

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
No change to the top 16, however somewhere along the line, I may have mixed up the region headers. Ah well.

"Want to see where the bracket could change in the next two weeks? Keep a close eye on Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish are the next big potential bracket movers. Sure, winning at UConn was huge, but their next-best wins are Tennessee and Miami -- and until now, Notre Dame has benefited from a light ACC schedule. Six of Notre Dame's seven conference wins came against Pitt (twice), Boston College, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Virginia. The Irish's No. 8 NET rating looks impressive, but the resume is a little thin. The next 13 days could change that dramatically. Starting Thursday, the Irish play Louisville, Florida State, NC State and Duke -- all probable NCAA tournament teams. These are the games that will show the way if Notre Dame is to be a serious ACC contender and a potential first- and second-round NCAA host.
1707240539965.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So by the "S" curve

1. S. Carolina
2. Iowa
3. NC State
4. Stanford
5. Texas
6. Colorado
7. UCLA
8. UCONN
9. USC
10. Kansas St
11. Indiana
12. Ohio St.
13. Louisville
14. LSU
15. Gonzaga
16. Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
I think realistically UConn will be a solid 3 when the tournament comes around based on how they have played against the top teams so far. To me though their seed doesn't matter as much as who else is in their bracket. If they can somehow get in with Iowa or even NC State I think they will have a shot for the Final 4 if they can get past the first weekend. This is the type of team that could be upset, much like last years team, but matchups this year will be vital.

Reaction Score
So by the "S" curve

1. S. Carolina
2. Iowa
3. NC State
4. Stanford
5. Texas
6. Colorado
7. UCLA
8. UCONN
9. USC
10. Kansas St
11. Indiana
12. Ohio St.
13. Louisville
14. LSU
15. Gonzaga
16. Virginia Tech
Could someone clarify how Gonzaga is above Virginia Tech?

VT has a good win @ home over NC State and a good loss @home vs Iowa. AP 16 Net 18 Net SOS 48.

Gonzaga has a good win @ home over Stanford but Brink only played 11 minutes and good losses to Louisville & WA State. AP 19 Net 10 Net SOS 71.

To me VA Tech comes out ahead based on AP, good win, & SOS but since they are both hosting I could live with it.

My next head scratched is ND being 5 in the Gonzaga bracket. ND has a good win away at Uconn. AP 12 Net 8 Net SOS 56 all better than Gonz.

ND's future schedule is tough but I thought teams were placed in brackets based on what the have done not what might happen.

You might say all ND has to do is win to move up but if placement isn't based on what you've done then the next dialogue will be "Yes ND beat Uconn and Louisville but they still have future games against tough opponents whereas Gonzaga will win out easily."

Reaction Score
When do the reveals start?
From link below: "There will be two 30-minute top 16 reveal shows in 2024, with shows taking place at 6:30 p.m. Eastern time Feb. 15 and Feb. 29. The 68 teams participating in the 2024 championship will be announced on Selection Sunday, March 17, as part of the ESPN selection show"

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice in yesterday's Bracketology by Creme? He has all three Big East teams in the same bracket. UConn was #2, Creighton was #6 and Marquette was #8. That means that UConn could actually play Creighton in the Sweet Sixteen and if Marquette got lucky against SC in the Elite Eight. There is no way the committee would have the only 3 teams from the same conference in the Tournament be in the same bracket. I would love to know what he is smoking because I want to live in the same type fantasy world that CC is in.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice in yesterday's Bracketology by Creme? He has all three Big East teams in the same bracket. UConn was #2, Creighton was #6 and Marquette was #8. That means that UConn could actually play Creighton in the Sweet Sixteen and if Marquette got lucky against SC in the Elite Eight. There is no way the committee would have the only 3 teams from the same conference in the Tournament be in the same bracket. I would love to know what he is smoking because I want to live in the same type fantasy world that CC is in.
Whatever he's smoking it must be much stronger and more hallucinogenic than what I tried in 1968 or maybe its been cooking since then.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Aaaaannnnd, there's gonna be another bracketology from The Athletic ...

1707341767650.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Today's update - no ins/outs to top 16 teams. Reveals start next week. See you next week!

The bubble has remained relatively stagnant the last two weeks. Despite plenty of losing by the teams on the right side of the bubble -- Michigan on Wednesday and Tennessee and Vanderbilt on Thursday -- little movement into or out of the field has occurred. Normally a loss would drop them out, but not this time. Why? For one team to fall, another must take its place. Right now, those teams don't exist. Minnesota has lost five in a row. Maryland and Washington have each dropped four of five games. Atlantic 10 contenders Richmond and George Mason are a combined 0-4 against the NET top 50. Cal played USC tough on Sunday but hasn't won since Jan. 21. With so many of the SEC bubble teams taking turns knocking off each other, openings are there to sneak into the field. But to this point, no one is walking through.
1707490742795.png

1707490934177.png

Reaction Score
Brackets will change until the pairings come out. South Carolina will be the overall Number 1 seed. For UConn they need to avoid being the last #2 seed and first #3 seed. This way they avoid Dawn and her talented team until the regional finals.

Reaction Score
Two brackets ago, Charlie Creme gave me a reason to want to look at his takes again. After the ND loss, he underscored that one loss will not affect his rankings much.

The last bracket and this one demonstrate good ‘ol Charlie is back. Trick me once…

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Brackets will change until the pairings come out. South Carolina will be the overall Number 1 seed. For UConn they need to avoid being the last #2 seed and first #3 seed. This way they avoid Dawn and her talented team until the regional finals.
In today's bracket SC and UConn wouldn't meet until the National Championship game. SC is in Albany 1 and UConn is in Albany 2, the winners of each of the four regionals goes to the Final Four, Albany 1 would face off against Portland 4, while Albany 2 against Portland 3 in the Semi Finals with those winners going to the NC game.

Reaction Score
Today's update from Megan Gauer at HerHoopStats

View attachment 96241

(note - I may have swapped Portland 2 & 3 at least a week ago, so apologies)
South Carolina and UConn absolutely want to avoid each other until the Final Four.

I could see any of the top four seeds making it out of Portland 4.

Portland 2 would be a gauntlet.

Iowa would have to love the Albany 3 draw although Utah could be an interesting matchup for them.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
South Carolina and UConn absolutely want to avoid each other until the Final Four.

I could see any of the top four seeds making it out of Portland 4.

Portland 2 would be a gauntlet.

Iowa would have to love the Albany 3 draw although Utah could be an interesting matchup for them.
Hate to tell you this but SC is not the only team to be afraid of. Based on our circumstance, any number of teams can beat us.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Hate to tell you this but SC is not the only team to be afraid of. Based on our circumstance, any number of teams can beat us.
There are several teams who could beat UConn. UConn could defeat any of them, though, and the only one that would surprise me is South Carolina. That may change Sunday -- to either wouldn't surprise me or would shock me. ;)

I'll add that I would've given Iowa a less than 50-50 chance till Stuelke's performance last night. Just when you think, "Oh, go ahead and give Clark her 35, just don't let Marshall or Martin get open threes," Stuelke goes off for 47. That wasn't against Edwards, but now she would have to be careful about helping on a penetrating guard.

Reaction Score
There are several teams who could beat UConn. UConn could defeat any of them, though, and the only one that would surprise me is South Carolina. That may change Sunday -- to either wouldn't surprise me or would shock me. ;)

I'll add that I would've given Iowa a less than 50-50 chance till Stuelke's performance last night. Just when you think, "Oh, go ahead and give Clark her 35, just don't let Marshall or Martin get open threes," Stuelke goes off for 47. That wasn't against Edwards, but now she would have to be careful about helping on a penetrating guard.
Stuelke is still in her potential phase. She’s strong and mobile and passes well but her offensive skills are still limited. They won’t be for long.

Reaction Score
Today's update - no ins/outs to top 16 teams. Reveals start next week. See you next week!

The bubble has remained relatively stagnant the last two weeks. Despite plenty of losing by the teams on the right side of the bubble -- Michigan on Wednesday and Tennessee and Vanderbilt on Thursday -- little movement into or out of the field has occurred. Normally a loss would drop them out, but not this time. Why? For one team to fall, another must take its place. Right now, those teams don't exist. Minnesota has lost five in a row. Maryland and Washington have each dropped four of five games. Atlantic 10 contenders Richmond and George Mason are a combined 0-4 against the NET top 50. Cal played USC tough on Sunday but hasn't won since Jan. 21. With so many of the SEC bubble teams taking turns knocking off each other, openings are there to sneak into the field. But to this point, no one is walking through.
View attachment 96230
View attachment 96232
A couple tough match ups but a good chance for UConn. If they could figure out how to swap places with LSU it would even be better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom