Boy if our guards could just take one step up | The Boneyard

Boy if our guards could just take one step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a National Championship contender. We need the big 5 Purvis Calhoun Adams and especially Hamilton and Purvis to play MORE consistent on the offense. If we GET that--we are SCARY. Need 3 of 5 to play well every game.

Reaction Score
This is a National Championship contender. We need the big 5 Purvis Calhoun Adams and especially Hamilton and Purvis to play MORE consistent on the offense. If we GET that--we are SCARY. Need 3 of 5 to play well every game.

I'm talking in terms of Sweet 16, rather than championship contender, for one reason. To think we can win a championship, we need a go to guy on offense who can take over and make something happen when we need a good possession in the halfcourt in the last two minutes. I think this team is getting better, but I still don't see THAT GUY in the rotation. I don't even see the guy who would have been the number 2 option on our prior championship teams (Rip and KEA, Okafor and Ben, Kemba and Jeremy, or Bazz and Daniels).

Reaction Score
Ollie needs to figure out what nights guys are off sooner than later. He did that well last night, as Calhoun played 7 more minutes than Purvis and had a much bigger impact on the game than Purvis did last night.

In regards to having a go-to guy, I think our best hope is to keep developing Jalen and hope that by the time the tournament comes around, he's ready to be the man in crunch time. Hamilton and Purvis just aren't those types of guys, and Gibbs' lack of explosiveness and length basically begs the defense to get itself set before he tries to make a move. He's been a disaster with the ball in his hands at the end of games.

Reaction Score
I'm talking in terms of Sweet 16, rather than championship contender, for one reason. To think we can win a championship, we need a go to guy on offense who can take over and make something happen when we need a good possession in the halfcourt in the last two minutes. I think this team is getting better, but I still don't see THAT GUY in the rotation. I don't even see the guy who would have been the number 2 option on our prior championship teams (Rip and KEA, Okafor and Ben, Kemba and Jeremy, or Bazz and Daniels).

I'm just happy Amida kept his fouls under control. Cincy has a pretty active frontcourt, so hopefully we'll see more of the same!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Sweet 16 is tough if you are a 8/9 seed because of the second round match up?

Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment about 3 out of __ guys need to play well. We have so many guys on this team that can realistically go off offensively, that it is kind of that Ollie needs to give everyone a chance to be the guy for a play or two and heat check them.

I'd say we have the following guys who have the potential to 'go off': Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Omar, Hamilton, Miller, Brimah. If just 1 has a superb game and 2 others play great, I think we win most games the way our D fights

Reaction Score
Sweet 16 is tough if you are a 8/9 seed because of the second round match up?

Yup. That having been said, I expect to have a good run and move up, and in any event would think we have one great win in us anyway. To have 4 or 5 great wins in a row, you need the go to guy.

Reaction Score
We need our guards to feed Shonn on every possession.

We saw a little more of this last night so hopefully it continues trending this way. One thing I wish would happen more often is that when the shot clock starts winding down (and it seems to at a scarily high frequency), I would love to see the guards hit Shonn in the post and let him go to work.

The high ball screens at the end of the shot clock have produced less than impressive results-- usually a settled-for three or a turnover. So I guess this idea ties back to the OP that we need the guards to step up

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Really liking what Omar is bringing is terms of a different look from Gibbs and Purvis.

If Hamilton will only make better decisions with the ball.

The rebounding last night was excellent. AB had the kind of game we've been waiting three years for him to play.

Reaction Score
People ask who should be "the guy" down the line. I like the ball in Adams hand at the beginning of the possiession but if they don't need a 3 I want the ball in Millers hands. He's been incredible this season and we aren't having these tournament run discussions if he isn't on this team

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The Boneyard has it right,
We need that go to guy, especially towards the end of the game,
DHam isn't the guy (has the talent but iq isn't there yet, can be reckless)
Gibbs isn't the guy (great spot up shooter, but can't take his man off the dribble)
Jalen isn't the guy....yet (great talent->can be the guy, but a freshman and his jumper is suspect)
Purvis isn't he guy (do I really need to explain?)

That leads me to the one guy I think we can lean on in crunchtime....
Shonn Miller- although UConn hasn't played through a big for scoring purposes since Emeka in 04, I think Shonn is our best peice to play come tourney time.

With the way we collectively play D, all we need is a competent O, to do some real damage in the tourney this year

Reaction Score
I have say- we need to focus on our defense. Our offense is generated from playing good D. When we won in 2014 I never said " We are going to out score Florida" I did say to myself on several occasions " they are not going to be able to score".
This team has the same type potential defensively. Play lock down D and let the offense develop from that- IMHO.

DOOMED!!!!

Reaction Score
Shonn is becoming that go to guy. I'm often screaming from the stands to feed him in the post. I wish he'd take 15 shots a game. I'll give Ollie credit, he is having the guards dump it down to him on the low block much more than he was in the beginning of the season. Opposing teams have picked up on it and are denying Miller like hell. We need to learn to make those entry passes. And if you can't get Miller the ball in crunch time, I want the ball in Adams hands. Rather than the stagnant offense and settling for a jumpshot, Adams can actually create for himself (better than anyone else on the team) and get in the paint to get a good shot. I'd also argue he's our best guard at finishing at the rim. So for now, in crunch time, I want Miller to be the go to guy, and if not, Adams.

Reaction Score
Shonn is becoming that go to guy. I'm often screaming from the stands to feed him in the post. I wish he'd take 15 shots a game. I'll give Ollie credit, he is having the guards dump it down to him on the low block much more than he was in the beginning of the season. Opposing teams have picked up on it and are denying Miller like hell. We need to learn to make those entry passes. And if you can't get Miller the ball in crunch time, I want the ball in Adams hands. Rather than the stagnant offense and settling for a jumpshot, Adams can actually create for himself (better than anyone else on the team) and get in the paint to get a good shot. I'd also argue he's our best guard at finishing at the rim. So for now, in crunch time, I want Miller to be the go to guy, and if not, Adams.

Emphasis on the bolded, I agree with everyone else that Miller needs as many touches as possible, but in saying that alot of posters are ignoring that teams have now adjusted and are loading up on him and working to deny him the ball. At his height it also makes it a bit tougher to just throw it to him with teams fronting him with another defender in the area to rotate over.

Reaction Score
Emphasis on the bolded, I agree with everyone else that Miller needs as many touches as possible, but in saying that alot of posters are ignoring that teams have now adjusted and are loading up on him and working to deny him the ball. At his height it also makes it a bit tougher to just throw it to him with teams fronting him with another defender in the area to rotate over.
Our guards are very deliberate with their entry passes. I was a point guard in high school and my rule of thumb was if you see the big man's chest, dump it down. With the big men denying it, instead of us just waiting on the perimeter with the ball looking to give it to Miller/our other bigs, we need to reverse the ball and have Miller get better position of the opposite block.

Reaction Score
I really think that this team can beat any team in the country on any given night if we are clicking. My concern is stringing 4-6 games in a row together where we perform at that level.

Reaction Score
People ask who should be "the guy" down the line. I like the ball in Adams hand at the beginning of the possiession but if they don't need a 3 I want the ball in Millers hands. He's been incredible this season and we aren't having these tournament run discussions if he isn't on this team
Agree that Miller needs more touches but some this is on him. Miller needs to do more to get himself open to receive passes. He has a bunch of moves after he gets the ball down low and his shooting % is outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom