Box Score | The Boneyard

Box Score

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
BOX SCORE

When you look at the box score, you almost wonder how UConn kept the game so close. Very many un-UConn like stats:

1. Only 11 assists on 20 made baskets. Good for most teams, but not "normal" for UConn.
2. MS out rebounded UConn 37-31, leading to
3. MS took more shots, 67-46.
4. UConn had 17 turnovers, including
5. Gabby had 5 TO to only 2 assists. Nurse had 3 TO to only 1 assist. Even Chong had 2 TO to 5 assists.
6. Collier was "only" 4 of 11 shooting, for only 11 points. After averaging 20 ppg for the season, I would guess this was her worst shooting game.
7. UConn was 17 for 25 on free throws. While not bad, that's still 8 missed FT.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
That pretty much sums it up.
Those stats plus 2 huge shots from MSU in 4Q and OT.
I was there and it sounded like a MSU home game for most of it. Last shot was deafening. I applaud both teams for a great game.
The Huskies will be back! #bleedblue

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
UCONN obviously lost tbe game either late in 4th (3 point lead) or lost in OT (0 points in first 3 mins (?)) but they had 1 offensive rb in first half and I think 9 baskets?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The morning after. Looking back at last night's game - Did Mississippi State win the game, or did UConn lose it? That's something that can be debated all summer. Geno said (and I agree), they had lots of chances to win it in regulation. A loss like this stays with you. The returning players won't forget last night, not by a long shot. Three weeks from now, everyone (including us) will be OK, realizing that the sun will rise in the morning. Life for us will return to normal, and we'll begin to focus on next year's team, and the possibility of winning next year's championship.

Yes. The numbers corroborate what the eye test told us. This was a very un-UConn like game, by far, their worst game of the season. I've been reading posts and comments for the last two hours, trying to get a feel of how the Boneyard was feeling last night, and this morning. I'm numb!!! Like the rest of you, I didn't see this one coming. Buzzer beaters are always devastating. Especially when you're on the losing end. While there was not an appreciable amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the yard, there was in the UConn locker room.

Looking at Gabby ad Kia during the post-game presser last night, you could tell they had both been crying. Neither one of them have a poker face, as they wore their emotions on their sleeves. That was a presser none of the girls wanted to attend. Kudos to both of them for pulling it together long enough to face the press corp, and represent the team. I'm glad none of the reporters asked the girls "how they felt having just lost the biggest game of the year". Reporters have a bad habit of doing that. Geno said to his players (paraphrasing) This is what you've done to a lot of other teams. This is what it feels like to come up short.

I've read a lot of comments that are understanding, consoling and congratulatory in nature. Posters are holding back their real feelings on last night's debacle (look at the game the thread, you'll see what I mean). Those comments are "hot blooded" and spur of the moment reactions. It's been said many times that you should never make decisions when you're angry. The same can be said for writing posts or comments. Softer and more gracious comments can be composed after one has had time to step away for a moment, sleep on it, take a deep breath, then begin to organize their thoughts and rationalize their feelings.

I am a die-hard UConn fan. This hurts. It was interesting to read the comments of those that broke away from the crowd, and from being "politically correct", to share what they saw, their bewilderment, and how they really felt. Many of us feel the exact same way, but we won't go that far to get our inner most feelings off our chest, but rather take the high road, and internalize our deepest feelings of angst and disappointment. I can only imagine the joy and excitement other women's basketball programs are feeling now. No doubt Notre Dame fans are still partying, celebrating our loss, just like we tend to do whenever they lose. To Irish Nation, I say enjoy the moment, this too shall pass. That 111 game win streak lulled THIS team into a false sense of security. Mississippi State awoke a sleeping giant. Things will be different next season.

Last night, Geno proved once again why he is one of the greatest coaches in WCBB. He was gracious at every turn.
he gave coach Schaefer and his team all of the credit in the world. He knew this day could and would come. He didn't rant, rave, throw chairs or point fingers. He knew at some point, this would happen. He just didn't want it to be THIS weekend. THIS is the game he wanted the team to play earlier in the season, winning streak be damned. He had his eyes on the bigger prize. Losing a game galvanizes a team's focus and resolve like nothing else. Look what it did for the 2014-2015 team. Nobody was thinking about that early season loss to Stanford when as team was raising the championship trophy and congratulating each other, and cutting down the nets after the game.

Geno said many times during pressers that he wished his girls would get a little meaner for two hours. They're too nice. Last night, they met a team from the south that were tougher than they were, with a lot more resolve, that went about doing what they had to do to win. This was the first loss for the freshmen and sophomores. A tough loss to be sure. A loss that would have better served them earlier in the season. A loss that will fuel resolve, summer workouts and conditioning for every UConn player (returning and incoming), to prep them for the task ahead next season of returning the program to glory. The task of bringing another championship to Storrs.

Congratulations to Vic Schaefer, his staff and players on a well played game. They made history last night. Not only has he put his program on the map, but they will forever be remembered as the team that ended UConn's 111 game win streak.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Great post, Carnac. Watching last night's presser, it looked to me that both Kia and Gabby are well positioned to be next year's senior leaders! ( co-Captains, for sure.) It is so much fun to watch each players four year growth and development.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It was apparent during the game that Mississippi State was winning the hustle plays. That shows in the box score -- they won rebounds, turnovers, and steals. Theirs was the best defensive effort I've seen all year -- I don't remember a UConn player haveing four feet to work with all night (probably an exaggeration, but not much of one).

Kudos to Coach Schaefer and his team; they earned the victory.

Reaction Score
D drives the O. Soft zone and half court offense isn't the foundation of UConn basketball.

Vic and Company took what they were given. Congrats to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom