Box Score Help | The Boneyard

Box Score Help

Reaction Score
Help me with a few Box Score questions, please:
  1. What is a "Team" rebound? The UCONN-ECU box score shows 12 for ECU and just 2 for UConn. How do you get an offensive team rebound and how do you get a defensive one? The play-by-play on the UConn website shows a "dead-ball team rebound when a player misses the first of two foul shots. So if a team misses a lot of foul shots, does it end up looking like they got a lot of offensive rebounds?
  2. Does a blocked shot also count as a missed shot? Does it count as a rebound for the team that gains possession if the ball doesn't go out of bounds? (From the play-by-play, it looks like this is the case.) Does it also count as a turnover if the defense gains possession?
  3. I assume a steal is also a turnover. Correct?
  4. Does an offensive foul count as a turnover?
Thanks!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Help me with a few Box Score questions, please:
  1. What is a "Team" rebound? The UCONN-ECU box score shows 12 for ECU and just 2 for UConn. How do you get an offensive team rebound and how do you get a defensive one? The play-by-play on the UConn website shows a "dead-ball team rebound when a player misses the first of two foul shots. So if a team misses a lot of foul shots, does it end up looking like they got a lot of offensive rebounds?
  2. Does a blocked shot also count as a missed shot? Does it count as a rebound for the team that gains possession if the ball doesn't go out of bounds? (From the play-by-play, it looks like this is the case.) Does it also count as a turnover if the defense gains possession?
  3. I assume a steal is also a turnover. Correct?
  4. Does an offensive foul count as a turnover?
Thanks!
1. A team rebound is when a team is credited for a rebound but no individual was responsible for it. For example, if a blocked shot goes out of bounds, that counts as a team offensive rebound. You do not get an offensive rebound for a missed FT. If there is a battle for a rebound and it is knocked out of bounds, the team that didn't touch it gets a team rebound and is awarded the ball.

If there is a jump ball, the team that presently has the arrow pointed their way gets the ball. If the other team had the ball previously, it counts as a steal for the person that tied up the ball and a turnover for the player that allowed the other player to tie them up. If no one had possession of the ball (such as when two players are going for a rebound), then that counts as a rebound for the player whose team has the arrow.

2. Yes, blocked shot counts as missed shots. Yes, if you block a shot and recover the ball, you get a block AND a defensive rebound. It does not count as a turnover.

3. If a team is awarded a steal, that means the other team must have turned it over. But many turnovers are not steals.

4. Yes, an offensive foul also counts as a turnover.

Reaction Score
1. A team rebound is when a team is credited for a rebound but no individual was responsible for it. For example, if a blocked shot goes out of bounds, that counts as a team offensive rebound. You do not get an offensive rebound for a missed FT. If there is a battle for a rebound and it is knocked out of bounds, the team that didn't touch it gets a team rebound and is awarded the ball.

If there is a jump ball, the team that presently has the arrow pointed their way gets the ball. If the other team had the ball previously, it counts as a steal for the person that tied up the ball and a turnover for the player that allowed the other player to tie them up. If no one had possession of the ball (such as when two players are going for a rebound), then that counts as a rebound for the player whose team has the arrow.

2. Yes, blocked shot counts as missed shots. Yes, if you block a shot and recover the ball, you get a block AND a defensive rebound. It does not count as a turnover.

3. If a team is awarded a steal, that means the other team must have turned it over. But many turnovers are not steals.

4. Yes, an offensive foul also counts as a turnover.
Thanks! This will help me to look at a box score and better understand how the game went.

People tend to look at the Offensive Rebounds statistic and downgrade a team if they gave up a lot of offensive rebounds. But in the case of the UConn-ECU game, UConn blocked a lot of shots, thus pumping up ECU's offensive rebound stat.

One clarification on free throws, please - I am asking about when a player misses the first of her two free throws. The play-by-play indicates a team deadball rebound in this case, which I assume also counts toward the team's offensive rebound total. Is that right? Here is an exampe:

07:36 FOUL by IRWIN,KYLA07:36 MISS FT by CORBIN,DESIREE-- REBOUND DEADB by TEAM07:36 GOOD FT by CORBIN,DESIREE49
logo_handler.ashx
102 (+53)

Thanks again!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc