Bowl Game | The Boneyard

Bowl Game

Reaction Score
The Hartford Stag Bowl.......sponsored by Hooter's....with Louisville as honorary host.

Reaction Score
From the Football Forum

Bowl game at Wrigley Field is off — for now

>>The breakdown in negotiations occurred because Cubs officials wanted a premier spot in the Big Ten bowl lineup — the ability to land the conference’s No. 3 or No. 4 team. When Big Ten officials queried schools, they responded that they would prefer a warm-weather destination.

The Cubs had the finances arranged for a bowl game at Wrigley but declined to make a deal for a lower-slotted Big Ten team. The sides amicably parted ways and said they might revisit a potential game.

“The Cubs wanted to have a higher-placed team and a potentially more excited fan base,” a source said. “The Cubs said they’re not looking for a lower-tier bowl game; they’re very selective in what they do.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to the Garden State Bowl in the Meadowlands - saw the Vols beat the Badgers - what the score was I have no idea. That team had Willie Gault, Anthony Hancock and Mike Cofer on it. Go Big Orange. The biggest thing I remember was getting halfway there and having to turn around because my friends father forgot the tickets.

Horrible idea - bowl game in Giants Stadium in the Winter. I think it was after the '81 game they figured out the post season bowl game was no bueno and came up with the idea of the preseason kickoff game - makes much more sense. Not sure of that because I thought the kickoff classic didn't start until well after that, but who knows.

Reaction Score
I went to the Garden State Bowl in the Meadowlands - saw the Vols beat the Badgers - what the score was I have no idea. That team had Willie Gault, Anthony Hancock and Mike Cofer on it. Go Big Orange. The biggest thing I remember was getting halfway there and having to turn around because my friends father forgot the tickets.

Horrible idea - bowl game in Giants Stadium in the Winter. I think it was after the '81 game they figured out the post season bowl game was no bueno and came up with the idea of the preseason kickoff game - makes much more sense. Not sure of that because I thought the kickoff classic didn't start until well after that, but who knows.

The ONLY reason they had that bowl was for RU. in 76, they declined an invitation to play McNeese State in the inaugural Independence Bowl, feeling snubbed by more prestigious bowls despite having an undefeated 11–0 season. In 1978, Rutgers appeared in its first bowl game, the Garden State Bowl, which it lost to Arizona State 34–18. Once they reverted to form, that is losing, there was no reason to have 2 teams come up to North Jersey to play a game no one wanted to see.

Let's wait until we get snubbed by a prestigious bowl after going 12-0 before we host the Hartford Bowl.

It's times like these, I wish we had a dedicated forum to discuss college football. Oh wait ...

Reaction Score
The ONLY reason they had that bowl was for RU. in 76, they declined an invitation to play McNeese State in the inaugural Independence Bowl, feeling snubbed by more prestigious bowls despite having an undefeated 11–0 season. In 1978, Rutgers appeared in its first bowl game, the Garden State Bowl, which it lost to Arizona State 34–18. Once they reverted to form, that is losing, there was no reason to have 2 teams come up to North Jersey to play a game no one wanted to see.

Let's wait until we get snubbed by a prestigious bowl after going 12-0 before we host the Hartford Bowl.

It's times like these, I wish we had a dedicated forum to discuss college football. Oh wait ...

The Cesspool?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom