Bouknight Game 1 | The Boneyard

Bouknight Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't see a Bouknight thread with all the praise being thrown around on Sanogo, Jackson, Cole, etc. Other than his outside shooting (form looked real nice, though), he played a great game. And even then that sidestep transition 3 And-1 was beautiful.

Last year, he looked shifty, bouncy, and smooth.

This year the only word I can use to describe him is dangerous.

He looks like a viper. His handle is so much tighter. He's so fast with the ball in transition while being totally in control. In the half-court, he's just always probing the defense looking for weak spots, both with and without the ball. He looks aggressive. His balance on his shot looks great. He made a couple nice runners and finished well in the paint (6-8 on 2s). He got to the line 7 times. He came down with contested boards in traffic. He had 3 steals.

Even still, this was a tip of the iceberg game. An off-shooting 20 point game. We're going to be able to run the offense through him and he's going to create even against tough defenses. We were hoping this would be the case and all signs point to yes. Other teams should and will be terrified of him.

Reaction Score
Didn't see a Bouknight thread with all the praise being thrown around on Sanogo, Jackson, Cole, etc. Other than his outside shooting (form looked real nice, though), he played a great game. And even then that sidestep transition 3 And-1 was beautiful.

Last year, he looked shifty, bouncy, and smooth.

This year the only word I can use to describe him is dangerous.

He looks like a viper. His handle is so much tighter. He's so fast with the ball in transition while being totally in control. In the half-court, he's just always probing the defense looking for weak spots, both with and without the ball. He looks aggressive. His balance on his shot looks great. He made a couple nice runners and finished well in the paint (6-8 on 2s). He got to the line 7 times. He came down with contested boards in traffic. He had 3 steals.

Even still, this was a tip of the iceberg game. An off-shooting 20 point game. We're going to be able to run the offense through him and he's going to create even against tough defenses. We were hoping this would be the case and all signs point to yes. Other teams should and will be terrified of him.
Hes just a stud. Him and Cole will be the best backcourt in the big east this season. YOu can quote me on that and call me out if im wrong at seasons end. Or you could just agree with me because i will be right.

Reaction Score
We are extremely lucky to have him for a second season. His natural and effortless ability to dominate the game is something we’ve only seen in a handful of Huskies over the years. James has the potential to be an NBA All-Star when all is said an done. Yes, he is that good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bouk looked good last night. I think he also played with a lot of maturity, because Central was so hopelessly outmatched that Bouk could have gone for 40 points last night, but that would not have been the right thing to do as the best player on the team. There will be nights where UConn needs Bouk to take 5 straight shots, but last night was not one of those nights. Last night was a game to feed his teammates.

Great game by Bouknight.

Reaction Score
20 points 8 boards and it seemed pedestrian. He seemed to not feel the need to takeover or be spectacular. That's a trait of an All American (he knows he's the best player on the court).

I suspect Bouk will be most electric against better competition and brighter lights.

Reaction Score
Bouk had a great floor game last night.. Didn't need to aggressively assert himself to influence outcome of game.. Showing maturity as a leader through example.. .Added weight/strength helping him finish at the rim through contact.. My small concern for Bouk.. When he leaves his feet going to the hoop..Defenders/defenses will be real physical with him.. Needs to know when to "take flight" and when to "pull up" to avoid unnecessary injuries..He got bounced pretty good a few times last night going to the Hole..Knowing how to fall after contact and not hurting yourself is a learned skill..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m confident Bouk would’ve had 30+ if CCSU wasn’t in that dang zone

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Anyone else bothered by how we regressed, for a long time, against CCSU's zone?
I was having flashbacks the whole first half.

Reaction Score
Not in the least. Plenty of firepower. They missed 12 practices. The talent is there, just going to take a little more time together to gel.

Reaction Score
When did we regress? We scored 100 points. 48 in the first half

Reaction Score
They scored 102 points - I’m not sure I’d call that regression.

I do think there possessions where they never really attacked the zone. Against a bigger, more talented team, that would have been more problematic. But they also didn’t have much practice time leading up to the season, so I have a feeling it’s something they’ll work on.

Reaction Score
We are extremely lucky to have him for a second season. His natural and effortless ability to dominate the game is something we’ve only seen in a handful of Huskies over the years. James has the potential to be an NBA All-Star when all is said an done. Yes, he is that good.

very lucky. I’m convinced he would have been a lottery pick or even a top 10 pick in this year’s draft with how weak of a class it was and the huge amount of time teams had to prepare for it. I know he wasn’t projected to be anything like that but he would’ve skyrocketed up draft boards when teams actually started digging deep.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hint: up to and including when they were down by 4 with 14 minutes gone.
Passing the ball around the perimeter until someone threw up a 3. I know they came out of it, but was anybody happy with the first half?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the outcome, delighted with the talent.
But I was shocked they looked that stuck for 15 minutes. We need to be able to handle the zone. You won't get to chalk up 15 minutes to good teams.

I agree the missed practices hurt.

Reaction Score
Not in the least. Plenty of firepower. They missed 12 practices. The talent is there, just going to take a little more time together to gel.
This.^^^ They need to have time to practice together. We saw glimpses of it yesterday when they attacked the zone via the high post.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Its hard to draw too much from game 1 but I'd imagine the staff is telling him he needs to take more than 12 shots and hunt his shot more. Obviously it's hard to argue with 20pts on 12 shots, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom