Bouk Club Poll - Who is the Comp? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bouk Club Poll - Who is the Comp?

Watching Bouk the last month, who do you consider his closest comp?

• Rip

Votes: 42 20.9%
  • Ray

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • Rudy

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Caron

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Lamb

Votes: 99 49.3%
  • Kemba

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Madison Square Gordon

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He doesn't really remind me of any ex UConn guys. I'd need to think about comparisons, but they are kind of pointless.

I get the sense that the game slows down for him at times. Everyone else seems to be in slow motion. He's seeing things and using that speed and quick leaping ability to be in the right place before other players recognize what the right place is. That's what makes him unique, and I don't recall any of the guys on the poll doing that in quite the same way. They were all great and many did things James can't do, yet.

Reaction Score
He's not at the level of Rip or Ray's freshman years. I don't think he's as complete a scorer as Rip was at this point (watch Rip's highlights from the '97 NIT -- he could get wherever he wanted to and scored at will), and Rip was a better defender even as a freshman.

Ray was so explosive, even as a freshman, and was a better shooter.

I disagree. Bouknight is more versatile than either of them as freshmen. Bouk hits 3s, mid-range shots, putback dunks, reverse layups, floaters...neither of them were doing all that as freshmen. Offensively, he is the most versatile freshman we have had in my 40 years of watching UConn basketball. I'm not saying he is better than either of them as freshman, but I am saying he scores in more different ways and that a highlight video would show that.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Ben Gordon’s game with Lamb’s body/frame.

He’s more athletic than Rip.

This is actually a great description. Ben is probably most similar, but Bouk does some things that even Ben didn't do, especially as a frosh.

Reaction Score
He's like an upgrade on Tony Robertson. 6-3, 200 pounds. TRob was an very explosive player. Good handle. Fast. Aggressive. Good at getting to the basket, good dunker, very good three point shot.

Here's the difference. In every area that TRob was good, Bouk is GREAT. TRob shot 39% from three which should be where Bouk ends up. And Bouk will blow away his rebounding and scoring numbers. When Bouk heads to the basket, I see a lot of Tony in him.

Reaction Score
The fact that he brings to mind so many different former Huskies shows that his game is more versatile than any of his predecessors. The kid is a talent like none we have seen before.
We’ve seen 6 first team All-Americans.

Ray Allen is in the HOF.

Caron Butler averaged 15.3 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.1 apg and 2.2 spg his freshman year.

Love the kid but come on...

Reaction Score
We’ve seen 6 first team All-Americans.

Ray Allen is in the HOF.

Caron Butler averaged 15.3 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.1 apg and 2.2 spg his freshman year.

Love the kid but come on...
Bouknight is more versatile offensively than any freshman we have had. I don't care if you don't see that.

I am limiting my comparison to solely their freshman years. Bouknight shoots a better percentage than Caron overall and from 3, and he is averaging the same ppg as Ray.

What the other guys did in their sophomore or junior years or pro careers is really irrelevant to the comparison to James Bouknight as a freshman. I stand by my statement that Bouknight is more versatile than any of them AS A FRESHMAN. He is averaging 19.66 ppg over the last 6 games because he can score in so many ways. Coach Hurley described it as an innate 6th Sense in terms of tracking the ball and feel for the game. Very few guys have that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree. Bouknight is more versatile than either of them as freshmen. Bouk hits 3s, mid-range shots, putback dunks, reverse layups, floaters...neither of them were doing all that as freshmen. Offensively, he is the most versatile freshman we have had in my 40 years of watching UConn basketball. I'm not saying he is better than either of them as freshman, but I am saying he scores in more different ways and that a highlight video would show that.

A refresher on Rip's versatility as a freshman . . .

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I would put him in the Chris Smith freshman comparison:

Not once have I heard fudge say Bouk carried the ball.

Reaction Score
He's not at the level of Rip or Ray's freshman years. I don't think he's as complete a scorer as Rip was at this point (watch Rip's highlights from the '97 NIT -- he could get wherever he wanted to and scored at will), and Rip was a better defender even as a freshman.

Ray was so explosive, even as a freshman, and was a better shooter.
We need to remember as well that Ray was scoring against the Big East of the 90's. Does Bouk even get time on those teams as a frosh.

Reaction Score
Was thinking more about this. I think Ben Gordon is a good comp. However Ben would have started over Bouk, Ben had more tools as a frosh but both were equal in potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was thinking more about this. I think Ben Gordon is a good comp. However Ben would have started over Bouk, but both had the tools as a frosh but both were equal in potential.

Bouk has a higher ceiling (literally) because of his height. Agree Ben was more polished as a freshman for sure. Could be related to Bouk's missed season in hs due to that meniscus tear

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Right now he is a cross between Rip and DeAndre Daniels (Rudy if you are restricting it to this poll). Not as good a shooter as Rip, but a better driver than Daniels. All are below average defenders for their size.

He can be whatever he decides to be, which is the encouraging part. He just seems to have "it" in terms of impacting a game. A little loose with the ball sometimes but that's picking nits for a freshman.

Reaction Score
Right now he is a cross between Rip and DeAndre Daniels (Rudy if you are restricting it to this poll). Not as good a shooter as Rip, but a better driver than Daniels. All are below average defenders for their size.

He can be whatever he decides to be, which is the encouraging part. He just seems to have "it" in terms of impacting a game. A little loose with the ball sometimes but that's picking nits for a freshman.
DeAndre Daniels, lol. You might as well compared him to Travis Knight.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
check his hands out - special. that plus hops plus brain equals no easy comparison. rip will have better shooting percentages than him, but that's because he took conventional shots, James can make it up on the fly. not common. same thing with the boards. fun possibilities with this one. he can score both ways - clean, and dirty. oh, so dirty.

Reaction Score
Don't know where you guys are getting that Rip was a better shooter/had better shooting %'s than Bouknight, he didn't.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Don't know where you guys are getting that Rip was a better shooter/had better shooting %'s than Bouknight, he didn't.
Bouk’s splits are off the chart.

38% from 3, 47% overall, 80% from the line. 13 ppg. And that’s after an overall slow start to the year. The last month it looks like he is averaging over 1.5 points per FG attempt, doing a great job getting to the line. And that’s all still with a handle that you know will improve next year.

Even if his percentages don’t improve at all next year (no CV1 will put increased defensive focus on him no doubt) is it really a stretch at all to see him make the same jump that Rip made his Sophmore year? Sure you can say it’s premature and he needs to do it against tougher competition next year, but I am really starting to believe he could be an AA next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom