Boston trip- suggestions? | The Boneyard

Boston trip- suggestions?

Reaction Score
Going to be in Boston for 4 days next month. One of the friends I'm travelling with has never been and I haven't been since college age. Red Sox will be out of town but I'll be at the Foo Fighters show. Looking for fun bars, good food, any can't miss tours/things to see. Not renting a car so looking for fun things within the city.

Reaction Score
If a baseball fan, the Fenway Park tour is definitely worthy of being on your list. The views of, and from, areas of the park you may never been to are worth the tour by themselves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Check out the Seaport. Barking Crab, Legal Harborside roof deck, Envoy Hotel roof deck, Lolita...

Reaction Score
Where in the city are you staying?

What kind of food do you like?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was up there last year for work for a few nights and it was the first time I had been there in a few years. I was pleasantly surprised to be reminded of how much I like about the city and how much different it is than NYC--which I frequent and love--in almost every way. Stayed on the Common and enjoyed walks and runs all around the area during the morning and evening breaks I had. Had an exceptionally great dining experience sitting at the bar at No. 9 Park.

Agree with Seaport too.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
How old is the group and what types of things do you want to do? Fun bars means a lot of different things

Reaction Score
How old is the group and what types of things do you want to do? Fun bars means a lot of different things

Sure does. I used to go there a bunch after college and I feel like people in Boston love to get drunk and fight. If that's your thing, you can find a fight pretty much anywhere in Boston. Easily the angriest drinkers I've run across.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Sure does. I used to go there a bunch after college and I feel like people in Boston love to get drunk and fight. If that's your thing, you can find a fight pretty much anywhere in Boston. Easily the angriest drinkers I've run across.

Lived there for 2.5 years. 100% Boston people LOVE to fight it's really the only city I've been to where adults fight regularly at bars.

Reaction Score
Nah, got that out of my system many years ago. I hate fighting and the testosterone crowd. We're in our mid 30's to 40, guys trip. Staying in the Seaport. We mostly like dive bars, like to meet and hang with locals. Love good food and love every cuisine. We'll close down all the bars but we'll have all day for 3 days and want to do some tours/touristy stuff.

Reaction Score
Do you like craft beer? Check out the Trillium Outdoor Beer Garden on the Greenway (a park where I-93 used to be) on a nice day or evening. Trillium makes really good beer.

The Trillium Brewery is in the Seaport (369 Congress Street) if you want to buy some to take home. They don't have a taproom there (too small).

I guess you have to check out Faneuil Hall. It's a tourist trap but you should at least walk through it if you're in Boston.

Duck Boat tour is a fun and easy way to explore the city.

Take a tour of Fenway Park.

Check out the North End for dinner (Italian). I like Tresca but there are so many good ones. Go to Mike's Pastry after dinner in the North End.

I've been out of the bar scene for a while but the Black Rose near Faneuil Hall was always fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nah, got that out of my system many years ago. I hate fighting and the testosterone crowd. We're in our mid 30's to 40, guys trip. Staying in the Seaport. We mostly like dive bars, like to meet and hang with locals. Love good food and love every cuisine. We'll close down all the bars but we'll have all day for 3 days and want to do some tours/touristy stuff.
From what you're saying here, Seaport will be a good location but a bunch of the places there are a more bark than bite. I'd recommend a short Uber to the South End and try a few places there. Some places that come to mind - Beehive, South End Buttery, Wink & Nod, The Gallows. South End is more of an authentic experience of the city than the Seaport which is a bit generically modern.

You're at Seaport so Harpoon is there, if you're willing to venture for a brewery there's of course Sam Adams and Aeronaut over in Somerville. A sort of dive bar near Fenway - The Lower Depths (cash only), solid beer selection and good hot dogs, good pre-concert spot. If you want to get REALLY local, venture down to South Boston and walk into a pub.

Reaction Score
Fighting, yes, I was a bouncer at a club in boston in college, what a pain in the ass. It seemed like someone was taking a poke at you, which gave you license to pop them in the nose or physically subdue them that was in the 80's. We had plain clothed cops in the bar and one night it got a bit hairy when one of them got cracked in the head with a bottle - it was a scene.

Daily Catch is a place in the North end that I've been going to for more than 30 years and I still love it for it's simplicity.

Mike's or Modern for pastry - Mike's is a zoo, so I fancy Modern, easier and good.

It's a great city.

Reaction Score
Daily Catch is a place in the North end that I've been going to for more than 30 years and I still love it for it's simplicity.
If you can get into the place, yes it's good. But there are literally like 5 tables in that place. How's the one in the Seaport?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fighting, yes, I was a bouncer at a club in boston in college, what a pain in the ass. It seemed like someone was taking a poke at you, which gave you license to pop them in the nose or physically subdue them that was in the 80's. We had plain clothed cops in the bar and one night it got a bit hairy when one of them got cracked in the head with a bottle - it was a scene.

Mike's or Modern for pastry - Mike's is a zoo, so I fancy Modern, easier and good.

It's a great city.

Mike's is overrated. For the tourists. Modern's is better anyway imo.

Tastiest canoli I've had is at Maria's though.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Go to the Tam. Best dive bar

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
You're at Seaport so Harpoon is there, if you're willing to venture for a brewery there's of course Sam Adams and Aeronaut over in Somerville. A sort of dive bar near Fenway - The Lower Depths (cash only), solid beer selection and good hot dogs, good pre-concert spot. If you want to get REALLY local, venture down to South Boston and walk into a pub.

Second Lower Depths. Best place to go before heading into Fenway.

Southie is Bro central now. Be careful lol

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Go to the Tam. Best dive bar
Is the Tam really good? Lived within spitting distance of it for years and never stepped foot in it but was always intrigued.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Panza in the North End is exceptional. Then Mike's Pastry if you missed out on some calories from dinner.
But as others said, you really can't go wrong with anywhere in the North End.

Reaction Score
Pretty amazing how far the Seaport has come in a decade. When I worked there all that was there was a Dunkin’ Donuts, a 7/11, a bank and a Fresh City. There was one bar called (shockingly) The Seaport and the only people down there were John Hancock and Fidelity workers.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Is the Tam really good? Lived within spitting distance of it for years and never stepped foot in it but was always intrigued.

Ha, not really.

Yeah it's not that great. It's only the best dive bar in Boston!

Another good dive bar closer to the Seaport is Biddy Early's. Check it out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom