Boston Globe alum Mark Blaudschun Podcast thoughts on everything UConn | The Boneyard

Boston Globe alum Mark Blaudschun Podcast thoughts on everything UConn

Reaction Score
Huskies fans, check out my recent podcast, Lights!Camera!Sports! with Mark Blaudschun. Starting at the 1030 min mark, he gives his thoughts on Edsall, moving to the Big East, and the future of Kevin Ollie Let me know what you think, thank you.

LCS with Mark Blaudschun of TMG College Sports and formerly Boston Globe

Reaction Score
Thoughts on Blauds thoughts thinking the New England region can't support two POWER 5 teams?

Reaction Score
Thoughts on Blauds thoughts thinking the New England region can't support two POWER 5 teams?

That was GD's thinking - not Blauds per podcast.

This fan base is well versed on the BC block. Not new news in any respect.

Use search bar upper right for multiple previous threads for thoughts. Use DeFilippo, BC Flipper, as terms to start with ;)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was GD's thinking - not Blauds per podcast.

This fan base is well versed on the BC block. Not new news in any respect.

Use search bar upper right for multiple previous threads for thoughts. Use DeFilippo, BC Flipper, as terms to start with ;)
Might want to throw BCU and Fredo in there as well.

Reaction Score
It is unf---ing believable what the Atlantic Coast Conference did ... both in terms of taking Boston College and then Syracuse. BC - as Blaudschun points out - is a disgraceful athletic mess with the worst facilities for Mens Basketball and Football in the Power 5. And unlikely to be able to upgrade. They will lose regularly in the conference; maybe a good year at .500 in either big sport going forward. They get zero attendance; and the Louisville media story is telling. No one goes to see their hoop.

This set in motion the Power 5 in the Northeast to the point that none of the Three - BC, Rutgers or SU - will compete in the Big FB world. And two of the three have no business ever making March Madness in the next decade. Meanwhile, the potent NYC eyeball market? WBB outshines their best.

Reaction Score
GDF was a small person and devoid of vision. College athletics in the northeast and New England (the market) expands for all with a healthy and vibrant UCONN. He viewed it as a zero sum game because he was without any business acumen. His insecurity showed in epic proportions when he took the suit as a solely personal attach. Moreover he never grew or even sustained some real success in football. Then Leahy hired Bates and well..........

UCONN's in a rough spot - not doubt. But so is BC. At some point you have to perform. I don't see football rallying and driving any big increase in interest. Basketball is about terminal. There is simply no reason for talent to go to BC to play hoops in the ACC.

Reaction Score
GDF was a small person and devoid of vision. College athletics in the northeast and New England (the market) expands for all with a healthy and vibrant UCONN. He viewed it as a zero sum game because he was without any business acumen. His insecurity showed in epic proportions when he took the suit as a solely personal attach. Moreover he never grew or even sustained some real success in football. Then Leahy hired Bates and well.....

UCONN's in a rough spot - not doubt. But so is BC. At some point you have to perform. I don't see football rallying and driving any big increase in interest. Basketball is about terminal. There is simply no reason for talent to go to BC to play hoops in the ACC.

Leahy's traits are perfectly normal for males with small weiners.

Reaction Score
Leahy's traits are perfectly normal for males with small weiners.

hey ... this forum only allows Irish Catholics to go for Priestly weiner jokes; stay with your man Anthony.

Reaction Score

It should be noted that Ollie just signed a new contract recently extending his older one for 5 years.

Reaction Score
It's worse than that. Only 3 P5 teams from New England, NY, and NJ. About 15-20% of the total population, including much of the wealth, and we get 1 more P5 than Mississippi.

Reaction Score
Do you think UConn regrets the ACC lawsuit in mid 2000s?

Reaction Score
Do you think UConn regrets the ACC lawsuit in mid 2000s?
It's water under the bridge now. What is important for UCONN now is the fact that BC is in such a hole in men's basketball and in football that they might now (especially with GDF gone) want a non conference relationship with us in both sports, especially men's and women's basketball, to help prop up their TV ratings in the Northeast. At the same time that might change a lot of minds over time in the ACC for an eventual invite for UCONN. So it's ironic that a school being the reason why we originally didn't get in could very well be a major reason why we do get in many years later. If I'm the BC athletic Dept I'm scared to death about going 0-18 in basketball again and 3-9 in football. They need us almost as much as we need them. A home and home basketball agreement would fill the Boston Garden for the first time in years. I hope Dave and Susan are making overtures. History will show that GDF did precisely the opposite of what he should have done to help his school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought the podcast was very good. I liked Mark Blaudschun's insight.

The Boston College worldview has been demonstrably proven wrong. Evil even. They've descended into the pit ... Where they shall remain. And we are about 12 NCs beyond their deceit.

Reaction Score
Well right now New England isn't supporting any Power-5 football teams so there's no where to go but up from here. Put a winner, a perennial top 25 team in New England and people will follow.

Reaction Score
No offense but this is over a decade old news now. The manner in which BC fired Skinner tells you everything you need to know about that sleazy institution of high learning and Jesuit values. Everything about BC is straight trash.
The way they fired Jags too.

Edit: And how ironic that BC's AD just announced he's resigning this June.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the end of the day BC is Boston and Boston is the capital of New England. It's the largest TV market in the ACC. They have a horrible president in terms of athletics, but a stellar reputation academically. That carries a lot of weight with the ACC presidents.

These two points make BC a worthwhile investment for the ACC. With their network set to roll out in two years, I'm sure the ACC is already making mandates to BC in terms of facilities. I know that they are building an indoor football field this summer. Leahy will soon retire and their AD is out at the end of the academic year.

Our problem is that we are located too close to BC and our football program is worse. I don't think BC carries any decision making weight on keeping UConn out. SU and Pitt received strong objections from FSU and Clemson due to their poor football programs and a lack of interest from FSU & Clemson fans in watching those games. They want WVU or the pipe dream of Texas in addition to ND, not another Northeast team unless it is Penn St.

Our focus should be on winning the AAC and making it a viable conference. We have to assume that their will be 4 power conferences with 16 teams each and that we will not be part of it, but that does not mean we will be shut out of an expanded playoff spot for our conference champion. We're not alone, WAC, Mt West, C-USA, BYU are all in the same boat with us. There are deals and strategic alliances to be made to guarantee a playoff spot or two.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day BC is Boston and Boston is the capital of New England. It's the largest TV market in the ACC. They have a horrible president in terms of athletics, but a stellar reputation academically. That carries a lot of weight with the ACC presidents.

These two points make BC a worthwhile investment for the ACC. With their network set to roll out in two years, I'm sure the ACC is already making mandates to BC in terms of facilities. I know that they are building an indoor football field this summer. Leahy will soon retire and their AD is out at the end of the academic year.

Our problem is that we are located too close to BC and our football program is worse. I don't think BC carries any decision making weight on keeping UConn out. SU and Pitt received strong objections from FSU and Clemson due to their poor football programs and a lack of interest from FSU & Clemson fans in watching those games. They want WVU or the pipe dream of Texas in addition to ND, not another Northeast team unless it is Penn St.

Our focus should be on winning the AAC and making it a viable conference. We have to assume that their will be 4 power conferences with 16 teams each and that we will not be part of it, but that does not mean we will be shut out of an expanded playoff spot for our conference champion. We're not alone, WAC, Mt West, C-USA, BYU are all in the same boat with us. There are deals and strategic alliances to be made to guarantee a playoff spot or two.
Nice post but unfortunately you are wrong. A lot of other things are in play.

Reaction Score
The way they fired Jags too.

Edit: And how ironic that BC's AD just announced he's resigning this June.

Going to work for former UConn AD Todd Turner over @ CSA. They are are direct competitor to Flipper over @ Turnkey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom