Borges: Yale Big Man > UConn Big Men | The Boneyard

Borges: Yale Big Man > UConn Big Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Some fuel for the big guys maybe ... Borges is at the Yale game and tweeted this:

"Yale's Greg Mangano is more offensively skilled than any of UConn big men."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it's highly possible. Oriakhi has pretty much been a no show this year and Drummond is at something like 30% from the FT line? they both average about 7 PPG. it's ok i guess, but not what you'd expect from a pair as talented as they are.

Reaction Score
Some fuel for the big guys maybe ... Borges is at the Yale game and tweeted this:

"Yale's Greg Mangano is more offensively skilled than any of UConn big men."
Maybe so, but he wouldn't get a shot off against either AO or AD.

Reaction Score
He is not saying Mangano is better. Size and athleticism are arguably more important than skill for big men. I'm sure a bunch of Boneyarder's are more skilled than AO or AD but we aren't 6'9 +, crazy athletic and jacked.

Reaction Score
boneyarders more skilled than a future nba lottery pick? where do you guys buy your kool-aid?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
who was Mangano looks so skilled against?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"boneyarders more skilled than a future nba lottery pick? where do you guys buy your kool-aid?"

Depends what the skill is. I could shoot the rock pretty well. There was one very good rebounding and shot blocking front court varsity player when I was at UConn who I know I could out shoot from the corners and the key, and I was no star. But, he lived in my quadrangle (Towers) and he showed up one day at the outdoor courts - well after the season ended - (are they still there next to the very top parking lot?) and as I suspected, he dominated every one because he was fast, strong and could jump out of the building, He just was not a shooter. I'm sure there are plenty of BYarders who can do some things that Thabeet can't do, and he was a lottery pick. Now, Kemba is another story. The big kids aren't necessarily all-around skilled.

Reaction Score
.....Drummond is at something like 30% from the FT line....

Shaquille O'Neal made $300,000,000 playing basketball and couldn't hit a free throw. I don't think FT % is a metric typically used to evaluate big men.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
boneyarders more skilled than a future nba lottery pick? where do you guys buy your kool-aid?
At 5'8 and 185 lbs I guarantee you im more offensively skilled than either AO or AD. Unfortunately, at 5'8 and 185lbs it doesn't make one bit of a difference. The advantage AO and AD have is they are giants, incredibly athletic and impressively muscled. The big difference being is when they refine their offensive skills they will be multi millionaires while my offensive skills only impress the other 43 year old dillweeds who play summer league with me.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Shaquille O'Neal made $300,000,000 playing basketball and couldn't hit a free throw. I don't think FT % is a metric typically used to evaluate big men.
Just think how much more he might have made if he could shoot 80% from the line....

Reaction Score
At 5'8 and 185 lbs I guarantee you im more offensively skilled than either AO or AD. Unfortunately, at 5'8 and 185lbs it doesn't make one bit of a difference. The advantage AO and AD have is they are giants, incredibly athletic and impressively muscled. The big difference being is when they refine their offensive skills they will be multi millionaires while my offensive skills only impress the other 43 year old dillweeds who play summer league with me.

If this guy thinks that the idea is ludicrous (that there a quite a few average Joe's who are more offensively skilled than either AO or Drummond) than I am quite confident he has never played or been around basketball. You could probably beat a guy like Drummond in a game of horse, but would lose to him 1000-0 in 1v1 if he wanted to played to 1000. Big difference in offensive skill and how good you are. Which brings us back to the point about Mangano. The dude is more skilled than Shaquille O'neal but will never sniff the NBA while Shaq is a top 5ish center of all time.

Reaction Score
If this guy thinks that the idea is ludicrous (that there a quite a few average Joe's who are more offensively skilled than either AO or Drummond) than I am quite confident he has never played or been around basketball.

I've found that 43 yr. old dillweeds who think they possess mad ball skilz probably have never seen themselves play ball.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I've found that 43 yr. old dillweeds who think they possess mad ball skilz probably have never seen themselves play ball.
Apparently you missed the earlier thread about me leading McMahon 4 North to the intramural final four back in 1991. :D

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Apparently you missed the earlier thread about me leading McMahon 4 North to the intramural final four back in 1991. :D

McMahon Forth in the North represent!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
no but i was referring to productivity. the guy's got a lot of potential and i'm sure by the time they leave college (or even before the end of this year) the UCONN big men will be much better than the Yale big men, i'm just not sure i disagree with the OP at this point...

Reaction Score
Doubtful
Why do you say this? I'm just curious, because I feel that we will find out who is more offensively skilled on Thursday. I would like to hear why you disagree. Also, I highly doubt any one on this board is more offensively skillful than AD, or anyone on the team for that matter. I'm not trying to flame, but the definition of skill according to the interwebz is "the ability to do something well." That being said I bet that there are many on here that have certain types of basketball skills that are better than AD. Shooting would be one of those examples, and probably handling the ball. All in all, in regards to complete offensive skill, we are talking about a top 5 draft pick so lets be careful.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but he wouldn't get a shot off against either AO or AD.

He would eat up AO and probably eat a couple vs Andre but get him in foul trouble. He is very skilled and fundamentally sound!! He's a nice player.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
what year is he? and did he have any offers from any of the major 6 conferences?

Reaction Score
Why do you say this? I'm just curious, because I feel that we will find out who is more offensively skilled on Thursday. I would like to hear why you disagree. Also, I highly doubt any one on this board is more offensively skillful than AD, or anyone on the team for that matter. I'm not trying to flame, but the definition of skill according to the interwebz is "the ability to do something well." That being said I bet that there are many on here that have certain types of basketball skills that are better than AD. Shooting would be one of those examples, and probably handling the ball. All in all, in regards to complete offensive skill, we are talking about a top 5 draft pick so lets be careful.

We play Harvard, not Yale

Reaction Score
If this guy thinks that the idea is ludicrous (that there a quite a few average Joe's who are more offensively skilled than either AO or Drummond) than I am quite confident he has never played or been around basketball. You could probably beat a guy like Drummond in a game of horse, but would lose to him 1000-0 in 1v1 if he wanted to played to 1000. Big difference in offensive skill and how good you are. Which brings us back to the point about Mangano. The dude is more skilled than Shaquille O'neal but will never sniff the NBA while Shaq is a top 5ish center of all time.

Or you could be extremely athletic and extremely skilled = Hakeem
Big and athletic and very skilled = Duncan, Kareem
Not athletic, strong + huge and very skilled = Yao Ming (can't really think of other guy)
Or not athletic nor skilled but huge = plenty of examples

Shaq is the biggest freak of nature ever. I can't really think of another center who was as unskilled but as dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom