Borges: "The history there is crazy. Coach Hurley is trying to build the culture back." #UConn | The Boneyard

Borges: "The history there is crazy. Coach Hurley is trying to build the culture back." #UConn

Reaction Score
'But, but but kids don't care what UConn did in the past....'
Safe to say the kids who don't commit to UConn don't care that much. The ones who commit, probably care a little bit more.

“I’m really excited,” Smith said by phone on Sunday evening. “It’s just a great fit for me, my relationship with the coaching staff from Coach Hurley and Coach (Kenya) Hunter. And the playing style really fits me.”...

" And it was the full package. I felt like Coach Hurley would make me become a better player and a better man.” (Adams)

I think the history helps, but most often people who point to the banners want to pretend that the conference doesn't have any impact. The present, the past, and the coach's vision for the future all matter. How much they matter varies from recruit to recruit.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Safe to say the kids who don't commit to UConn don't care that much. The ones who commit, probably care a little bit more.

“I’m really excited,” Smith said by phone on Sunday evening. “It’s just a great fit for me, my relationship with the coaching staff from Coach Hurley and Coach (Kenya) Hunter. And the playing style really fits me.”...

" And it was the full package. I felt like Coach Hurley would make me become a better player and a better man.” (Adams)

I think the history helps, but most often people who point to the banners want to pretend that the conference doesn't have any impact. The present, the past, and the coach's vision for the future all matter. How much they matter varies from recruit to recruit.
Right. But winning matters the most. Conference doesn’t matter as much as people think. Ollie was bringing in really good recruits in the AAC without winning. If Hurley starts winning and winning a lot I’m not going to worry about recruiting

Reaction Score
Right. But winning matters the most. Conference doesn’t matter as much as people think. Ollie was bringing in really good recruits in the AAC without winning. If Hurley starts winning and winning a lot I’m not going to worry about recruiting
Could easily change that to "History doesn't matter as much as people think." and it would still be true.

I agree winning usually matters the most. But some kids are sold on a relationship and a vision, and have the confidence that the team will start winning once they get there.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Could easily change that to "History doesn't matter as much as people think." and it would still be true.

I agree winning usually matters the most. But some kids are sold on a relationship and a vision, and have the confidence that the team will start winning once they get there.
If we didn’t have history it would be tougher right now to get kids. You’re last part is what I said.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Fair enough, but those who say it doesn't matter at all are spot on wrong. FWIW, while the championship banners are impressive and it must be exciting for kids to think about being a part of that, I suspect that the Werth wall of NBA players has at least as much impact. If I'm a kid with NBA dreams and I see all the greats who have come through Storrs, I have to think that UConn might be the best place for me.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

You forgot the $$$. The FBI report specifically demonstrated KO lost two recruits to $$$ and I strongly doubt those were the only two.

Reaction Score
You forgot the $$$. The FBI report specifically demonstrated KO lost two recruits to $$$ and I strongly doubt those were the only two.
That’s true. It’s also true that we’re under investigation too. so it’s premature to say that Ollie wasn’t also breaking rules. Might not have been. But we don’t really know yet.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, but those who say it doesn't matter at all are spot on wrong. FWIW, while the championship banners are impressive and it must be exciting for kids to think about being a part of that, I suspect that the Werth wall of NBA players has at least as much impact. If I'm a kid with NBA dreams and I see all the greats who have come through Storrs, I have to think that UConn might be the best place for me.
Agreed

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well, this part isn't going to change. Word is DH runs a very clean program. Which could hurt him somewhat at higher levels.

Reaction Score

Amen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom