Borges: The anatomy of UConn’s long, winding road back to the Big East Conference | The Boneyard

Borges: The anatomy of UConn’s long, winding road back to the Big East Conference

Reaction Score
I was thinking the article might have more substance in the behind-the-scenes working of the move. I believe the earlier negotiations were happening, and I think part of their unraveling was a leak from a deputy in the Big East office. With the negotiations leaked to the press, and UConn not yet close to a deal, UConn was forced to halt the talks and publicly commit to the AAC. The interest remained in the Big East, but the active negotiation had to go to the back burner. I think the failed TV contract for the AAC was a bigger factor than is credited by this article. It did facilitate the Big East scenario back to the front burner. The case for the AAC was TV money and a jump to P5. With the TV deal striking out and the P5 possibility fading, it was time to secure the Big East move while the invitation was still to be had.

In the end it’s a great move for the Big East. UConn is a valuable member.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
$17 million exit fee from the American. UConn’s first two “down payments” toward that fee come from the AAC withholding the program’s year-end, conference-related distributions from 2018-19 and 2019-20 (the latter of which won’t be known until June). UConn will then pay about $1 million a year until the balance is paid off.

I was wondering who would bear the cost of our share of the lost revenues of losing the American Conference Tournament. It's us.

“Now,” said Susan Herbst, “it’s about every day, making the Big East feel as though we belong with them, we matter, and we’re an incredibly good partner.”

Shut up and prep for your remote classes Prof. Herbst.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wait until the BET. We're gonna be too good of a partner, the place will be juiced.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I said this to @gampelcrazies yesterday, but it is amazing that all the presidents and coaches in the Big East knew this was happening in the winter of 2018-19 and nothing ever leaked. Shows an extremely well run operation in my opinion.
I think the Big East is just full of good, high class, well-run universities. Quite a bit of an upgrade on a good chunk of the AAC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The icing on the cake just dropped on the FB board. They have a deal that puts almost all their home games on linear TV until 2023. They get paid and and all the productions costs are covered. Even UConn's FB deal turned out better than the AAC deal.

Reaction Score
$17 million exit fee from the American. UConn’s first two “down payments” toward that fee come from the AAC withholding the program’s year-end, conference-related distributions from 2018-19 and 2019-20 (the latter of which won’t be known until June). UConn will then pay about $1 million a year until the balance is paid off.

I was wondering who would bear the cost of our share of the lost revenues of losing the American Conference Tournament. It's us.

“Now,” said Susan Herbst, “it’s about every day, making the Big East feel as though we belong with them, we matter, and we’re an incredibly good partner.”

Shut up and prep for your remote classes Prof. Herbst.
For which she gets paid how much for? What a joke, no wonder the state is broke. And totally escapes any blame for not getting into a P5. I just wish some newspaper would investigate how our leadership failed us. And as the University president I believe the fault ultimately is hers. How many millions did we lose because of this?

Reaction Score
I said this to @gampelcrazies yesterday, but it is amazing that all the presidents and coaches in the Big East knew this was happening in the winter of 2018-19 and nothing ever leaked. Shows an extremely well run operation in my opinion.
I’d just say we’re all fortunate it didn’t leak this time. I’m not sure it’s much more than that.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Interesting take on how TV dollars leading the way was overblown according to ADB but rather Big East leadership, Geno and the will of UCONN nation not necessarily in that order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom