Borges: Summer 2 Session | The Boneyard

Borges: Summer 2 Session

Reaction Score

The highlights:

Alleyne/Calcaterra on campus now

"It seems highly likely that four of UConn’s starting five are spoken for: Tristen Newton at point guard, Jordan Hawkins at the two or three, Andre Jackson at the three or four and Sanogo at the five."

"Jackson may be listed as a three or four, but he’ll be on the ball as a point guard nearly as frequently this season."

Samson with the early lead over Karaban for the starting 4 or first big off the bench

12th scholarship still expected to be filled

Reaction Score
Oh boy here come all the Andre jackson debates about “initiating the offense” again.
First one.
So I guess standing at the top of the key and looking to pass qualifies as a "point guard"
And not being able to shoot well outside or taking it all of the way to the hole.
Sure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think that is a fact. I think Borges was just making a ridiculous assumption based off the Clingan quote.
There is nothing ridiculous about the assumption, if it is one, that a highly rated sophomore might be ahead of a freshman. We certainly should hope it's the case.

Reaction Score
There is nothing ridiculous about the assumption, if it is one, that a highly rated sophomore might be ahead of a freshman. We certainly should hope it's the case.
Especially one who stayed all summer to improve. Samson playing like a starter give us our best chance to have a great tournament run (imo)

Reaction Score
He might be ahead, but I don’t think Borges knows whether he is or not is my point.

Reaction Score
Especially one who stayed all summer to improve. Samson playing like a starter give us our best chance to have a great tournament run (imo)

Karaban has the potential to be an elite shooter, Johnson has the best chance to be an elite defender... very different players, both super important. If they're each getting 20-25 productive minutes (3/4 for Karaban; 4/5 for Johnson)... we're in a very good place. I want them BOTH to be good enough to play in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I thought the expectation was Alleyne being considered the 5th starter. I know it would give us a much smaller starting lineup but he started for a P5 school last year and brings tons of experience, shooting and decent defense.

Reaction Score
I thought the expectation was Alleyne being considered the 5th starter. I know it would give us a much smaller starting lineup but he started for a P5 school last year and brings tons of experience, shooting and decent defense.
I think he's still likely. He hasn't been on campus yet so there's no way of knowing where he stands in relation to Johnson/Karaban. Borges was careful to say 2/3, 3/4 and 4/first big off bench to leave open the Alleyne possibility.

Reaction Score
We were one of the biggest teams in the country last year. PG is one position. There are 5 players on the court. The rest of those players were 6'7 or better.
To provide evidence that we were:

E9BAD37D-7D46-434E-B414-C48AC1F53C5E.jpeg

Reaction Score
Karaban has the potential to be an elite shooter, Johnson has the best chance to be an elite defender... very different players, both super important. If they're each getting 20-25 productive minutes (3/4 for Karaban; 4/5 for Johnson)... we're in a very good place. I want them BOTH to be good enough to play in the tourney.
I agree, combined they play three positions and only overlap at one (the 4).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not sold on this guy at all. i'll wait to see.
and, if andre is expected to regularly start the o, what's tristen supposed to be doing? waiting for pass to shoot if he's open? i seriously hope that chemistry sorts out all this who stands where stuff, but some of the current reasoning escapes me.

bring it on!
i mean, some of youse tried to boo off the stage that poster who pointed out andre's skilz with the ball and the shot to date. to date.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
not sold on this guy at all. i'll wait to see.
and, if andre is expected to regularly start the o, what's tristen supposed to be doing? waiting for pass to shoot if he's open? i seriously hope that chemistry sorts out all this who stands where stuff, but some of the current reasoning escapes me.

bring it on!
i mean, some of youse tried to boo off the stage that poster who pointed out andre's skilz with the ball and the shot to date. to date.

Having a bunch of guys who can initiate the offense is a good thing. I'd love to see them run more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom