Borges Scholarship Situation | The Boneyard

Borges Scholarship Situation

Reaction Score
Are we out with Manuel? Did someone mention grade issues?

Reaction Score
I know I should want a big, I know I should. But I just love Hyland's seemingly killer instinct.

Can we please have that self-imposed scholly back? Damn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want Ntambwe (even more than precious, precious is likely one and done, and we’re still a year away.) Play Carlton 32 mpg and let akok or Whaley spell Carlton when needed. Ntambwe is the best talent on that list. I doubt Issanza is going to be reliable in year one anyways. Ntambwe makes them dangerous as hell in 20-21

Reaction Score
I want Ntambwe (even more than precious, precious is likely one and done, and we’re still a year away.) Play Carlton 32 mpg and let akok or Whaley spell Carlton when needed. Ntambwe is the best talent on that list. I doubt Issanza is going to be reliable in year one anyways. Ntambwe makes them dangerous as hell in 20-21
UNLV coach was fired as well. Could apply for waiver.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He’s the one guy I don’t want with Cole in the fold. Precious is ideal, because next year we can be very good, and he presumably doesn’t take a scholarship for 2020. Ntambwe is the worst case. Nothing for next year and eats a 2020 and 2021 scholarship. Also plays the same position as Akok, who should be our best non guard player by 2020.

That said, I’d take Issanza or Bones of the guys we have a realistic shot with. There was another big mentioned recently.

Reaction Score

Albeit a little crazy considering our backup center right now is Whaley, with a competent coaching staff I'm pretty fond of valuing talent over need.

It does sound crazy but you have to respect saving the scholarship. Reaching on a guy that doesn't pan out is far worse. Its partially to blame for getting us in this mess in the first place.

Reaction Score
I am sure that they are actively planning on signing a power 4/5 for next year. They almost have to. There has to be some strength, some height, some size, in the post on both offense and defense. Carlton needs a reliable backup or we will get beat up in the post, without another player that can play down low. The rebounding alone is just so important. We cannot hope that Whaley and Akok can get it done. Hurley is not going to sacrifice contending next year for the promise of 2020-2021.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tough situation for the staff no doubt. How do you say no to a talent like Ntambwe? I mean if you're assure he can play immediately with a waiver it's a no brainer, throw out the need for a back up just play small at times with more talent on the floor. If he is slated to sit out a year still something to think about. I am sure the plan was to be very relevant again in 20-21 and that is starting to look achievable, this would help for sure.

But as said above there's a chance things could still be very good this coming year but they still need some help. Not sure what's available trumps what can be had for next year at this point though. This why they get paid the big bucks, decisions like this for sure. I'm all in with what the staff leans to, interesting to say the least now. Cole was a huge win whether AG stays or goes at this point. Backcourt is looking really good and explosive.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Give me Ntambwe (sitting a year) + Whaley as backup over Issanza (immediately eligible) + Whaley as bench warmer. You can make it work for a year to make your roster significantly better moving forward.

Reaction Score
I think you have to take ntambwe if you can the upside is insane. Next year is going to be a little better but still rough. If the 2021 team is this team minus vital + two proven studs in college and two 4* impact freshman (most likely a center and a wing) that is a team that can go deep in March. Not to mention it helps with recruiting his five star brother down the road. If not him I would snag Bones because he helps now and in 2021 if our guards are Gilbert, Gaf, Cole, Bouk, Adams, and Bones we would be able to press like crazy all game and dominate the backcourt. Let's get a quality long big to back up senior Carlton instead of a project who might just end up behind Whaley.

Reaction Score
If we can get ntambwe, we have to take him. Empower Whaley. Let him know he has a real chance to play this year. He will work his ass off no matter what, but will definitely feel better knowing that he’s needed.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah but let's be real, precious isn't even on the table for us.
My comment is to those who say they don’t want precious bc he’s a one and done. Or kid who is a one and done

Reaction Score
I am sure that they are actively planning on signing a power 4/5 for next year. They almost have to. There has to be some strength, some height, some size, in the post on both offense and defense. Carlton needs a reliable backup or we will get beat up in the post, without another player that can play down low. The rebounding alone is just so important. We cannot hope that Whaley and Akok can get it done. Hurley is not going to sacrifice contending next year for the promise of 2020-2021.
We'll know we are back when Carlton is the backup C.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@tcf15 I feel like it's time for an update:

Reaction Score
My comment is to those who say they don’t want precious bc he’s a one and done. Or kid who is a one and done
I feel you. Can we just Pin "There is a 0% chance we get Precious but in a world where he is a UConn commit that is only a good thing" to the top of the Forum so we can stop rehashing this conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom