Borges: For UConn’s Adama Sanogo, the future is bright — and outside the paint | The Boneyard

Borges: For UConn’s Adama Sanogo, the future is bright — and outside the paint

Reaction Score
Aside from getting 2 more outside shooters, this is likely the biggest key for next year. We need to have better spacing on offense, but it was impossible this year when the defense could clog the paint because you aren't a threat to shoot from 15ft out. Sanogo has a good looking free throw stroke too, it should be pretty easy for him to consistently knock down a 12-15fter

Reaction Score
If Adama can develop a good enough shot to pull his man out of the paint, and Jackson improves his handle, things could get very interesting in a highlight reel kind of way.

Reaction Score
Hurley acknowledged this in his post-game or post-season press conference -- he knows that playing two traditional bigs, or playing a lot of guys who aren't threats from the perimeters, seriously bogs down offense in this era of basketball. You're not going to see the Ewing/Oakley/Smith/Mason Knicks anytime soon.

He's still getting his personnel in here. I think his ideal lineup would be something like:

Sanogo
Akok (pre-injury)
Jackson
Hawkins
Diggins/Gaffney

That's 3-4 shooters, athletes at every position, and only 1 traditional big. We may even see that lineup for stretches next year, and that will be the dominant lineup the year after.

Guys like Cole and Martin were stop-gaps brought in to fill strategic needs and to be leaders for the young guys.

Reaction Score
If Adama can develop a good enough shot to pull his man out of the paint, and Jackson improves his handle, things could get very interesting in a highlight reel kind of way.
So which of the two stock responses will be the right one? "From your mouth to God's ear," or "If 'ifs and buts' were 'candy and nuts,' we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think by season's (too soon) end, Cole played above mid manor pay grade. I'll keep him and bet he works his a ss off over the summer. Not NBA stuff but if he can become a Senior Rashamel it would be more than enough from him imho.

Reaction Score
I think by season's (too soon) end, Cole played above mid manor pay grade. I'll keep him and bet he works his a ss off over the summer. Not NBA stuff but if he can become a Senior Rashamel it would be more than enough from him imho.

Agreed. I like Sanogo a lot too. I’m optimistic we might get Antric Klaiber levels of production from him by the time he’s a senior.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
So which of the two stock responses will be the right one? "From your mouth to God's ear," or (ii) "If 'ifs and buts' were 'candy and nuts,' we'll all have a Merry Christmas."
If ifs and butts were candy and nuts then every day would be erntedankfest.

Reaction Score
While Sanogo can improve his mid range game, I really don’t understand this emphasis. He can become possibly the best UConn post guy ever with his footwork, patient deft moves and touch. Why not use that expertise rather than station him on both ends of the court away from his strengths and where he is most likely to commit senseless fouls taking away his valuable playing time. Instead have your opponent commit fouls unsuccessfully trying to stop him.

The way you have him create space is by the inside out passing game as he will likely get doubled. Additionally, there is no spoken strategy of the running game and how he or anyone fits into that underutilized aspect of winning basketball.
I am ok though with utilizing him in the high /low game to cutters or guys with position.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think Jackson's shot needs more work than his handle

Correct, but several, myself included, think he can get more bang for the buck working on ball handling vice still being a poor ballhandler and making marginal improvments in his shooting. I don't see him becoming even average at 3 point shooting next year no matter how hard he works at it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agreed. I like Sanogo a lot too. I’m optimistic we might get Antric Klaiber levels of production from him by the time he’s a senior.
If he works on his handle he could be Souleyman Wane

Reaction Score
Hurley acknowledged this in his post-game or post-season press conference -- he knows that playing two traditional bigs, or playing a lot of guys who aren't threats from the perimeters, seriously bogs down offense in this era of basketball. You're not going to see the Ewing/Oakley/Smith/Mason Knicks anytime soon.

He's still getting his personnel in here. I think his ideal lineup would be something like:

Sanogo
Akok (pre-injury)
Jackson
Hawkins
Diggins/Gaffney

That's 3-4 shooters, athletes at every position, and only 1 traditional big. We may even see that lineup for stretches next year, and that will be the dominant lineup the year after.

Guys like Cole and Martin were stop-gaps brought in to fill strategic needs and to be leaders for the young guys.

I see 1 shooter, 2 questionable shooters, and 2 absolutely non-shooters in this lineup. What am I missing here?

Reaction Score
While Sanogo can improve his mid range game, I really don’t understand this emphasis. He can become possibly the best UConn post guy ever with his footwork, patient deft moves and touch. Why not use that expertise rather than station him on both ends of the court away from his strengths and where he is most likely to commit fouls taking away his valuable playing time. instead have your opponent commit fouls unsuccessfully trying to stop him.

The way you have him create space is by the inside out passing game as he will likely get doubled. Additionally, there is no spoken strategy of the running game and how he or anyone fits into that underutilized aspect of winning basketball.
I am ok though with utilizing him in the high /low game to cutters or guys with position.

For once, I'm on board with Chief. Either shoot the 3 or stick to post ups, IMO.

Reaction Score
Kyle Filipowski is mentioned at the end of the article. Love to see this kid as a Husky.

100%. He isn't quite the athlete we've been recruiting at the 4 (Samson, Akok), but he is a hell of a shooter with good size and length.

Reaction Score

A 13ppg soph Rashamel I would gladly take. Senior... not so much.

Reaction Score
A 13ppg soph Rashamel I would gladly take. Senior... not so much.

Jesus, both harsh and silly. Rash did not become a worse basketball player as his career wore on. He lost minutes and was asked to play a different position. And his ability to both make the switch and contribute without ever complaining about having lost his importance to the team contributed to a friggin national championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jesus, both harsh and silly. Rash did not become a worse basketball player as his career wore on. He lost minutes and was asked to play a different position. And his ability to both make the switch and contribute without ever complaining about having lost his importance to the team contributed to a friggin national championship.
Please stop with the personal attacks. There was nothing harsh or silly about it. I’d rather have a Rash who shot 36% from 3 than one who shot 11% from 3. Really not interested in going back and forth with you so that you can feel good about yourself at the expense of others.

Reaction Score
Please stop with the personal attacks. There was nothing harsh or silly about it. I’d rather have a Rash who shot 36% from 3 than one who shot 11% from 3. Really not interested in going back and forth with you so that you can feel good about yourself at the expense of others.

To be clear, since you felt the need to respond, what you really mean by "not interested in going back and forth with you" is "I'd feel much better if I can have the last word."

Rash's senior year he did what he was asked to do, which is what Coach thought the team needed him to do. He didn't have a green light to shoot many threes as a senior. Here's what you need to know -- he was on the court at the end of a one possession national championship game.

Reaction Score
To be clear, since you felt the need to respond, what you really mean by "not interested in going back and forth with you" is "I'd feel much better if I can have the last word."

Rash's senior year he did what he was asked to do, which is what Coach thought the team needed him to do. He didn't have a green light to shoot many threes as a senior. Here's what you need to know -- he was on the court at the end of a one possession national championship game.
Thanks for the reminder, tough guy. I was already aware.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder, tough guy. I was already aware.
Strange definition of "tough guy" as well, since no one said anything about physical attributes of the posters. Apparently, you want everything you write to mean what you think it should, and then get all snowflakey when challenged. Good luck going through life like that.

Reaction Score
For once, I'm on board with Chief. Either shoot the 3 or stick to post ups, IMO.
If this is the only time you are onboard with Chief - you got a lot of developmental opportunities. LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom