Boomer/Carton this AM Uconn/Duke Fixed | The Boneyard

Boomer/Carton this AM Uconn/Duke Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody listening around 9am this morning. Had a guest on who I guess analyzes games officiating.. Stated in his opinion there was no way Uconn could win the game due to officials. Stated one ref in particular will come under scrutiny. Apparently the ref named Randy Levine. The entire game he did not make one single call against Duke. The guest stated how many times do you see a team win by 10 when the losing team shoots 43% and the winning team shoots 36%. Im not sure there is any validity to this guys statements. Nevertheless it was good to see somebody bash the officiating from that game on the air. Still waiting for that traveling call on Okafor!

Reaction Score
Anybody listening around 9am this morning. Had a guest on who I guess analyzes games officiating.. Stated in his opinion there was no way Uconn could win the game due to officials. Stated one ref in particular will come under scrutiny. Apparently the ref named Randy Levine. The entire game he did not make one single call against Duke. The guest stated how many times do you see a team win by 10 when the losing team shoots 43% and the winning team shoots 36%. Im not sure there is any validity to this guys statements. Nevertheless it was good to see somebody bash the officiating from that game on the air. Still waiting for that traveling call on Okafor!

Who was the guy? Love to hear it

Reaction Score
Randy Lavigne was a pretty good baseball and hoops player for us in the 70s. Perhaps he was over compensating to appear impartial.

(John Gwynn is actually a DI official - or at least was, not sure if he's still at it).

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
Refs last night were Bryan Kersey, Roger Ayers, and Karl Hess, I think.

All long time officials. You can argue they were bad, but crooked, no.

Maybe it was a comedy bir.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Watching the replay right now, and I am still dwelling over the loss... ugh. Makes me sick to my stomach anytime I see Duke playing better than us. The officiating certainly did not help, but I think we still would have lost because of our poor shooting and dumb turnovers. But I think we would have had a decent shot at winning. I already want to avenge this loss to make everything better again, hopefully we get that chance in March or April.

Going off on a tangent here, but I noticed Omar spotting up for the 3 a few times where no one was looking for him. One particular play in the 2nd half at the 10:15 mark where Purvis drove into the lane and had Omar open on the wing and instead of kicking it out he shot a contested shot and bricked it. We need to get Omar touches, that's inexcusable. He could become a dependable 3-point shooter if we can get him back into the flow and he builds some confidence.

Reaction Score
Plus UConn covered the spread, at least at most books. It was 10.5 or 11 in most places, 10 in a few.

Reaction Score
Roger Ayers - in the ref who did not make one single call on a Duke Player.

Reaction Score
One particular play in the 2nd half at the 10:15 mark where Purvis drove into the lane and had Omar open on the wing and instead of kicking it out he shot a contested shot and bricked it.

Purvis has done this a few times. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm curious as to how many assists he has this season.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay right now, and I am still dwelling over the loss... ugh. Makes me sick to my stomach anytime I see Duke playing better than us. The officiating certainly did not help, but I think we still would have lost because of our poor shooting and dumb turnovers. But I think we would have had a decent shot at winning. I already want to avenge this loss to make everything better again, hopefully we get that chance in March or April.

Going off on a tangent here, but I noticed Omar spotting up for the 3 a few times where no one was looking for him. One particular play in the 2nd half at the 10:15 mark where Purvis drove into the lane and had Omar open on the wing and instead of kicking it out he shot a contested shot and bricked it. We need to get Omar touches, that's inexcusable. He could become a dependable 3-point shooter if we can get him back into the flow and he builds some confidence.
Agree with first part, but am on the fence about Omar. He hasn't made a shot in months. I'd love to see him get a few before thinking he'll be a big help.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
Purvis has done this a few times. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm curious as to how many assists he has this season.

Which number is lower:
Purvis assists
Or
Nolan Rebounds

Closest guess without going over wins an Antric Klaiber Bobblehead

caw

Reaction Score
How many did the red in question call on UConn? And we're any dubious? After that, was he the ref in position on any blatant missed calls that should have been made against Duke? It is possible he just wasn't the ref in position to make calls against Duke, that's giving him a lot of benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I think there are a couple of reasons why they didn't look for Omar. Perhaps he's been out so long that they didn't recognize him or they've lost confidence in him (as he appears to have done himself). Coach Ollie pointed out that his problem is between his ears, not in his knee.

Reaction Score

Randy Levine is the President of the NY Yankees.

Reaction Score
Randy Levine is the President of the NY Yankees.

Randy LaVigne played baseball and basketball at Conard High and then again at UConn. Believe he played a little in the minor leagues for the Cubs or someone also.

Reaction Score
The way games are reffed in the NCAA is screwy from the outset. If you're a ref, you want top games where the pay is higher. So you gravitate toward the power conferences and the power teams in those conferences. If you're making crap calls against them, they're not going to hire you back. There's incentive for refs to call games certain ways.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't like complaining about calls, but there were a few that were just terrible. Duke gets calls and that is the way it has been as long as I can remember.

UCONN needs to hit open shots, which they didn't. That is why UCONN lost, and not because of some questionable calls.

Reaction Score
Officiating was horrible, at the IZOD Center the crowd was chanting "Ref's U Suck". But that isn't why we lost. No ability to score from our centers, no bench scoring, not hitting free throws, no ability to stick a 3 (besides Boat).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I finally brought myself to watch this game on replay (sober) after watching from @huskies92 's courtside seats (Thank you Saint Skinner). I was so angry with the way the game was called that I couldn't sleep until late into the night.

Most upsetting calls in order:

1: The intentional foul on Terrence. It was the same exact scenario as the first half when boat picked Tyus Jones' pocket and had a clear path. In that scenario Jones reaches out and grabs Boatright and its a 1 and 1, but in the 2nd half, its an intentional foul. It also isn't even a rule anymore.

2: The foul on Facey for going straight up and making contact with Jones' extending forearm.

3: Jones' off ball flop ~2.30 mark in the 2nd half. Purvis was denying him the ball and he was getting frustrated. Purvis had his arms extended on the trip. Jones run's into his arm's twice (using the bazz head fake) without getting the call before full on diving to the floor on screening action off ball. It's disgusting.

4: Amida's 5th foul. I thought it was a travel live but it was just Okafor's clever footwork. However if you can watch that play and tell me where the foul I'll be shocked. The only contact on the play was Okafor shoving Amida in the chest for clearance. You would think the officials would give him some respect given that...

5: His 3rd and 4th fouls were also BS. I understand the block charge call in the first half. I understand him getting his second foul for dropping his extended arms on Okafor. His 3rd foul was getting tangled off ball in a back screen in the paint where Winslow puts 2 hands on his back and he gets a hand on Okafor's waste. It was 16 min into the 2nd half when he sat the entire first in foul trouble, there was no reason for that whistle. It was ticky tack bull. And his 4th foul he's moving his feet well and Okafor is just bull charging him. His right arm is down by his waste but not extended. His left arm is straight up and does not make contact. It was as good as he could play defensively. Amida was robbed of his opportunity to show how he could play against Okafor in the second half.

6: Okafor should have picked up his 2nd foul with 8 min left in the first half. He made a big to big pass to Jefferson in the paint before plowing over Phil (again). The ref's didn't blow the whistle.

7: Terrence's full court press hand check. Ollie's reaction said it all.

Do I think we should have won this game? No. But Duke shot like crap from 3. We turned them over 19 times and we capitalized on a lot of those turnovers into points. We outscored them by 10 in the paint. We out shot them from the floor. We got into the lane "at will" according to Bilas. We we're not settling for jump shots. Facey got creamed with the body on one of his layups on one end and that kind of contact was a foul all day on the other. I thought we executed our gameplan damn near perfection. We deserved to be within a punchers shot of them and never got that chance.

We're getting better and I'm encouraged by the performance and think we'll continue to build on it but this was not an evenly called game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom