OT: - Book suggestions | The Boneyard

OT: Book suggestions

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m in a tough spot. Tough enough that asking you coconuts for advice actually makes sense.

I have six Audible credits and they’re warning me I’m going to lose one if I don’t start using them

I looked through and didn’t see any I liked, so I need book suggestions.

Parameters...

1) No fiction. I read enough of it here.

2) If I don’t like it, you’ll probably be banned.

3) Audible books take care of my commute — so longer books are better books.

Reaction Score
1544210682024.jpeg

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
If you want to understand why some humans here are rather stupid, and some are very bright, try Carl Zimmer's new book, She has Her Mother's Laugh.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I’m in a tough spot. Tough enough that asking you coconuts for advice actually makes sense.

I have six Audible credits and they’re warning me I’m going to lose one if I don’t start using them

Parameters...

Specify what type of non-fiction you enjoy.

Reaction Score
Please let us know every non-fiction book you have read so we're not giving you repeats.

"When Pride Still Mattered" (Vince Lombardi biography) by Dave Maraniss was pretty good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't recall if you are a music fan, but I like music autobiographies read by the author or someone else interesting to listen to. Keith Richard's Life (read by Johnny Depp), Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run (read by Bruce); Jeff Tweedy's Lets Go (So We Can Get Back) (read by Tweedy) is next on my list--have heard and read very good reviews.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Neil deGrade Tyson's book, if you like astrophysics
Einstein: his life and times

If you can stand historical fiction, I strongly recommend The Sandcastle Girls or The Light in the ruins. Both by Chris Bojalian. I lean to Sandcastle

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
All above are On Audible. I drive with books too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In all seriousness I finished 1776 by David McCullough not too long ago.

It was pretty great.

Already listened to it - it was great. McCullough books, especially the ones he narrates, are a favorite - if you haven’t gotten to The Great Bridge and The Wright Brothers, I highly recommend both.

I always recommend Endurance, the voyage of Ernest Shackleton. If you read about Shackleton, you become a follower and find yourself forever after reading up more and seeking out new or different nuggets.

Already listened to it - it was great.

PS - I would have died on day one. I just would have laid on the ice and given up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can't help. I'm almost all fiction as I get too much real life just living it.

Reaction Score
I have become a Malcolm Gladwell fan after discovering his podcast, and just recently have gone through his first three books. The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers, he has two more What the Dog Saw and David and Goliath. I like his unique perspective on things. Sometimes he goes a little too far with his hypothesis, but it makes an interesting read/listen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I love McCullough too. U may like Doris Kearny’s Goodwin “Team of Rivals”. Fantastic read on Abe Lincoln

That was actually the first Audible book I got - liked it so much that I bought a hard copy.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Have not read it myself, but I’ve heard from friends Charles Krauthammer put out a powerful memoir before his passing this year

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Except for the handful of books on tape (CD actually) to which I listened while recovering from retinal surgeries several years ago, I'm relatively new to audiobooks the past couple of years. I've enjoyed the ones I've listened to, but I have noticed that I don't seem to retain the information as well as I do when I read. I recall essences, but not the type of detail I'm accustomed to retaining. I'm curious whether others experience the same, or perhaps the reverse?

Reaction Score

Parameters...

“Collapse” by Jared Diamond....an examination of how various societies have risen to prominence and then fallen. The author makes the case that there are recurring factors that led to each collapse. This book ties together ecology, politics, geology, religion, culture, etc....
1544222513893.png

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Going Clear, Lawrence Wright's book about Scientology, is pretty great.

Everybody seems to like Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. I did, far more than his other books.

I second 8893's nomination of Life by Keith Richards. The blurb on the back says something like, "Reading this book is like being allowed to sit in a room with Keith Richards and ask him every question you'd ever want to ask him." Definitely one of the top 5 autobiographies I've ever read. (I don't often think of Keith Richards and Malcolm X together.)

Whatever you do, don't read H is for Hawk, by Helen Macdonald. Unless you're suffering from insomnia. Then, definitely.

I tend to read more fiction than non-fiction. I enjoy the escape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom