Book on coaching by Geno? | The Boneyard

Book on coaching by Geno?

Reaction Score
Hi all. I'm new here, so go easy on me. :) I'm just starting out coaching girls basketball and I was wondering if you all knew of a book that Coach Auriemma has published about how to coach. Is there anything like that out there? I figure I might as well learn from the best on my coaching journey! Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Hi all. I'm new here, so go easy on me. :) I'm just starting out coaching girls basketball and I was wondering if you all knew of a book that Coach Auriemma has published about how to coach. Is there anything like that out there? I figure I might as well learn from the best on my coaching journey! Thanks in advance.

Not one strictly on coaching that I am aware of, but if you read his books you will understand his philosophy and where he came from and why he does what he does. Having said that, I believe if you ask it is possible to watch a UConn practice and I think that would be WAY more valuable than reading a book. Good luck!

Reaction Score
this is not by Geno, however this is an outstanding book with advanced basketball coaching ideas

512PvQKR3sL._AC_UL320_SR202,320_.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Glad to see you, and welcome to the BY. Geno hasn't published any books, but has issued a number of instructional videos which can be found on YouTube. But NOTHING compares to watching his teams practice in person. Make the trip, and bring your charges if you can.

Reaction Score
I have a copy of Geno's CD on what every young girl player should know. Every thing in it is excellent. Once you watch the Geno DVD you will see it still uses the elements in Defense, shooting, passing--FUNDAMENTALS by Geno.
If there is a book--get it. Otherwise get a copy of the old DVD--give aways from Bob's stores.

Reaction Score
My avatar wrote what I think is the greatest basketball book ever. Alas, I lost my autographed copy many years ago, and now it sells for ~$500. When Geno was inducted into the HoF, he asked only Jack Ramsay to be on stage with him (much like Rebecca asked Geno). Ramsay has other fine books on coaching as well. You can't do any better than that. Broadly speaking Geno and Jack share the philosophy that tenacious, trapping defense starts fast breaks and rapid ball movement. So, it's hard-nosed defense, but fearless, opportunistic offense.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 6.14.19 PM.png

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

Get some practice drills Geno uses; several are available on YouTube

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom