Booing Ollie for missing out on free chicken wings | The Boneyard

Booing Ollie for missing out on free chicken wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
I read this in the ESPN write-up and thought it was simultaneously amusing and petulant. Is this what we've become??

UNHAPPY FANS

UConn fans booed Ollie at the end of the game after he ordered his team to hold the ball rather than to try and score another basket. Another point would have given the team 82 points, the mark needed for everyone in the crowd to win a free order of chicken wings. Ollie said he never been booed like that before. "Next time I'll recognize that," he said. "That was on me, I didn't know about the (wings)."
http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400586756

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We've been spoiled over the years. I thought everyone there would be happy that we finally beat the snot out of a low-major the exact way you're supposed to after failing at it in every previous attempt this year.

Reaction Score
I am all for the fans booing. KO gets a pass this time because he didn't know, I bet he gets on the marketing dept. and tells them to make sure he is informed on any of these types of promotions. To bad everyone couldn't go home a winner. Next time the walk-ons will get the green light!

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Oops. Totally missed the other thread about this topic - mods can close this out.

Sounds like it was all in good fun.

Reaction Score
I am all for the fans booing. KO gets a pass this time because he didn't know, I bet he gets on the marketing dept. and tells them to make sure he is informed on any of these types of promotions. To bad everyone couldn't go home a winner. Next time the walk-ons will get the green light!
He did it (held the ball) on purpose to not show up Howie. Good for him, and screw the people booing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gotta love games where the team handles business so well that the lead on the story is fans' faux anger over crappy free wings.

I checked the archives and there wasn't any mention of booing about wings after the Yale game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He did it (held the ball) on purpose to not show up Howie. Good for him, and screw the people booing.

Good for Ollie, but he did acknowledge afterwards that he was unaware of the wings promotion. I think everyone who was booing was in on the joke and those who weren't booing weren't in on the joke.

This also goes for the faux excitement and booing when the walk-ons touch the ball at the end of a blowout.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

He did it because that's what everyone does when they are up 33 and the shot clock is off.

People booed because they were having fun at the end of a blowout. It isn't the fans who put together the deal for free wings.

It's happened in hundreds of games all over the country - that there are people who don't know this seems amazing. The place explodes when the team gets over the number and they boo playfully when they do not.

This was not a groundbreaking day.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This was not a groundbreaking day.

This is however Connecticut. The land where complaining is second nature and where more people cheer harder for a free dunkin donuts tee shirt than our top 7 all time basketball program.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This is however Connecticut. The land where complaining is second nature and where more people cheer harder for a free dunkin donuts tee shirt than our top 7 all time basketball program.
I've had season tix at UCONN, CAL, St. Mary's and Nevada in my numerous years on this planet. At every single one of them, cheerleaders shooting T-shirts into the crowd by way of a cannon generates greater fan excitement than 95% of game action. It's not just a Connecticut thing.

Reaction Score

this post can't be serious, right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still laugh at posters that don't go to games criticizing the good fans that do.

Reaction Score
It started with the student section's "We want wings" chant. Then turned into booing. Someone from the band administration tried to get them to quiet down but no luck.

Kids these days. :)

Reaction Score
His huskies aren't the only ones hungry! KO needs to recognize we fans are starving! It's been nine months already since our last title!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My only regret is that Bazz wasn't here for this, so that someone could point to it as another example of him not taking advantage of all the free eating options he had.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If they were J Timothy's wings I missed out on, I would boo too. :)

But alas, I wasn't at the game and consider this more of a playful interaction from the fans remaining at the end of the game than anything else. Ollie did what any good coach would do: hold the ball and not show up an opponent (especially Howie).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If they were J Timothy's wings I missed out on, I would boo too. :)

But alas, I wasn't at the game and consider this more of a playful interaction from the fans remaining at the end of the game than anything else. Ollie did what any good coach would do: hold the ball and not show up an opponent (especially Howie).
J. Tim's has gone downhill recently in my opinion. I probably would have cheered for Anna Liffey's or Archie Moore's (New Haven). Probably even Sliders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom