Bonjour's Late August Present: New Poffenbarger Interview | The Boneyard

Bonjour's Late August Present: New Poffenbarger Interview

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“He’s really genuine and honest. He says it how it is,” she said. “He doesn’t want any 15- or 16-year-old friends. He just wants girls who want to come play for him. … A lot of coaches have adapted to our generation where it’s very relationship (-driven), you have to call them all the time and be very involved. I just like how he’s kept it very old-fashioned. He’s your coach, there’s nothing else to it.”

“She just wants to play for that coaching staff,” Amy added. “She just really has always wanted to be put up against the best.”

Poffenbarger always knew she wanted to play for UConn

“She can play all five positions,” Amy said. “The one thing she has — it’s so hard to teach — is just IQ and vision. She has a high IQ for the game. She’s that kid that during the game, she’s breaking it down. She’s like, ‘Mom, we need to get out of this press,’ or, ‘Mom, we need to go man-to-man. We need to force so and so to her left.’ She kind of reads the game as it’s going along, as it’s progressing.”

That’s exemplified by how Poffenbarger watches film almost religiously. She picked up the habit from her mother and has used it to advance her own game.

“It’s been (a habit) since I started high school, maybe even before that,” Saylor said. “I think I learn well watching myself do something, and then learning from that mistake.”

Reaction Score
“He’s really genuine and honest. He says it how it is,” she said. “He doesn’t want any 15- or 16-year-old friends. He just wants girls who want to come play for him. … A lot of coaches have adapted to our generation where it’s very relationship (-driven), you have to call them all the time and be very involved. I just like how he’s kept it very old-fashioned. He’s your coach, there’s nothing else to it.”

“She just wants to play for that coaching staff,” Amy added. “She just really has always wanted to be put up against the best.”

Poffenbarger always knew she wanted to play for UConn

“She can play all five positions,” Amy said. “The one thing she has — it’s so hard to teach — is just IQ and vision. She has a high IQ for the game. She’s that kid that during the game, she’s breaking it down. She’s like, ‘Mom, we need to get out of this press,’ or, ‘Mom, we need to go man-to-man. We need to force so and so to her left.’ She kind of reads the game as it’s going along, as it’s progressing.”

That’s exemplified by how Poffenbarger watches film almost religiously. She picked up the habit from her mother and has used it to advance her own game.

“It’s been (a habit) since I started high school, maybe even before that,” Saylor said. “I think I learn well watching myself do something, and then learning from that mistake.”
Super great! Great kid, Great GENO! I don't need 15/16 year old friends. Old Fashioned??? Being truthful and telling it like it is--is pure Geno. He isn't re;ationship driven?? Tell that to all the kids who ever played for him---Relationship is BIG with Geno, he'll hold the hand of one of his players unitl either dies-----that's relationship driven. Once a husky always a husky you can't get more relationship driven. And you don't need phone calls to prove it. Thanks Rocky---nice kid nis posting nice find. FYI---locally Poffenburgers just open a new restaurant with that name.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno may not want 16-year-old friends, but apparently the Connecticut Post desperately needs Medicare-eligible friends. It won't let me read this "insider" article unless I provide my e-mail address and agree to become an insider. No, thank you, CT Post.

I've read before about how Geno tells recruits that he is not looking for adolescent friends. I can imagine some recruiting targets who would react negatively to that sort of statement, and others (such as Saylor) positively. It's probably a pretty good filtering device to find out which players would fit well at UConn.

And I agree that it is also an exaggeration, since most of his players (especially those who make major contributions) would say that they do have a mentor relationship with him. But I also remember how Lou and Pheesa said that when they were freshmen, they made a point never even to go up to the floor where his office was because they were so terrified that he would not consider them welcome (undoubtedly an incorrect but understandable perception).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And I agree that it is also an exaggeration, since most of his players (especially those who make major contributions) would say that they do have a mentor relationship with him.

I agree; however mentor does not necessarily equate to best bud. One particularly illustrious alum, who had her tumultuous moments with Geno, counts him as her second father. When you need him he is there:

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From the article.

All4You: Only four players have ever worn No. 4 at UConn, the last being Mikayla Coombs a season ago.

Poffenbarger hopes to be the next.

I guess we do not need to worry about retired number issues. (5 shame emoji's on myself) :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
From the article.

All4You: Only four players have ever worn No. 4 at UConn, the last being Mikayla Coombs a season ago.

Poffenbarger hopes to be the next.

I guess we do not need to worry about retired number issues. (5 shame emoji's on myself) :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
I think 4 shame emojis would be more appropriate. :eek:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Lordy, I'm looking forward to seeing Saylor in a UConn uniform. I love coaches' kids, and the more I hear about her, the more I think she plays like a coach's kid.

I'm trying to get my head around a team with her and Bueckers and Muhl. I'm thinking there's a NCAA assists record in store.

(I know Adrian Griffin is a coach, but I dunno if he's coached Aubrey much, and there's so much talk about her athleticism that I may have missed it if she's a great passer.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom