OT - Boneyarders I'd Like To Meet and Why | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Boneyarders I'd Like To Meet and Why

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You can be on the dark side with me. :cool: Nobody wants or likes to meet me. When I do meet BY people in real life, after I introduce myself as meyers7, they usually take 3 steps back with a look of horror on their face. C'est la vie.
Certainly I for one would be happy to meet you, and with no trepidations. With me however it usually takes a few minutes of conversation before people run screaming from the room. Have you thought that maybe it's not you, but your cologne?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In general, I have yet to decide whether being on the "list" is better than not being on it. In looking at those on this particular list, I have concluded that being on it is a distinction, albeit a dubious one. All kidding aside, I am grateful for my inclusion. Meeting people with a similar interest is always a positive experience. What is best about the Boneyard is finding out that members have such an interesting and varied background apart from their love of WBB, UConn style. BTW, please amend your list to include @meyers7 , as he is just too damn happy to be excluded. Thanks to all here, and of course to @donalddoowop . Go huskies!
@meyers7 should have been included.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your service of 24 years @veryolddog, Officer or Enlisted? I also served 24 years, 73-97. I got tired of a lot of the changes, i.e. babysitting was not what I wanted to do. I decided to retire instead of staying a minimum of 4 more years, 2 years to get pinned SGM and 2 years after pinning them on.

Well....I went into the military in March 1967 as an enlisted man on a two year enlistment. I went through PI, LeJuene, and then went to the IBM ed center in DC. From their, Recon training & jump school (Force Recon at the time) 29 Palms. Think they are called Marine Raiders today. Nam on Jan 1 1968. Received battlefield commission in Nov 68 on terms to stay one more full year in Nam without going home. Went home December 29, 1969. Then it was Lebanon, Granada, Panama and whole bunch of countries without a passport. Best duty, 3 years in Israel. I speak Hebrew. And, there was a certain amount of time at Bethesda Naval Hospital and the Repose. Fairly ordinary service. No rules of engagement.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Certainly I for one would be happy to meet you, and with no trepidations. With me however it usually takes a few minutes of conversation before people run screaming from the room. Have you thought that maybe it's not you, but your cologne?
Nah, it's gotta be the name. I have to wear the more expensive cologne now. I used to wear some cheap stuff, but when I met/dated my 2nd wife said "that's the same stuff my dad wears, this ain't gonna work". And so it goes.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well....I went into the military in March 1967 as an enlisted man on a two year enlistment. I went through PI, LeJuene, and then went to the IBM ed center in DC. From their, Recon training & jump school (Force Recon at the time) 29 Palms. Think they are called Marine Raiders today. Nam on Jan 1 1968. Received battlefield commission in Nov 68 on terms to stay one more full year in Nam without going home. Went home December 29, 1969. Then it was Lebanon, Granada, Panama and whole bunch of countries without a passport. Best duty, 3 years in Israel. I speak Hebrew. And, there was a certain amount of time at Bethesda Naval Hospital and the Repose. Fairly ordinary service. No rules of engagement.
Drafted or enlisted? I enlisted in March of 73 with an entry date of June for 4 years. Went to basic at Fort Knox, KY, MOS training at Fort Lee, VA, where half of my class went to Nam. I went to Fort Bragg, NC for jump training, but do to a hearing loss, the doctors would not let me jump. Was ordered to oversees deployment in Germany, where I met a lovely German girl on 2/16/75, married her in Mar 76 in Las Vegas, NV. I didn't want to go through all the red tape to marry a German, so we flew to the States and got married, still married to the lovely woman. Stateside assignments in Fort Meade, Fort Bragg, Alexandria, VA., Warren, MI., and Fort Polk. Overseas assignments, Bueren, Kitzegen, Mannheim, Kaiserslautern, Germany. Schinnen, the Netherlands, and Tague, Korea. Best assignment was Schinnen, the Netherlands, it was at the time the best kept secret and assignment in the U.S. Army. Worst assignment was Fort Polk, which was my last duty station and was TDY for almost 7 of my 12 months there. Was also one of the reasons for retiring, separation from my wife and son.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Next season I plan on going to San Diego to see Ice Brady play. I know there are several west coasters out here and will hopefully hook up with them. @Golden Husky, @ochoopsfan, and @CT2SanDiego are 3 I can think of off the top of my head. Are there more out here???!!!

Some distance from you, and not on the coast, have been in Sacramento these past 5 years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some distance from you, and not on the coast, have been in Sacramento these past 5 years.
I'll let you know when I head down and see if you are up for a southern road trip!!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Here in St. Louis all we have is the Billiken message board which is 99.9% about the men. Interest in women's college basketball is very low. I don't know if there are any UConn fans in St. Louis unless Sluconn Husky is from here. I have met only two from the Billiken board, one of which was a former moderator. In reading some of the post on the BY, I sometime wonder how it would be talking to the poster in person. So, here is a list of posters I'd like to meet.
THE MODS WHO CONTROL THE BOARD WITH A FIRM HAND- Husky Nan, Biff, JS
THOSE WHOSE POST I USUALLY LIKE - oldude, Carnac, Charliebball, EricLA, JordyG, TheFarmFan, mudcat
THOSE WHO SEEM TO KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH RECRUITING - Sluconn Husky, (who answered a question I asked him) UConn Cat, (even though she ignored a question I asked her, the same one I aske Sluconn), CocoHusky
THOSE WHO SUPPLY US WITH A SCHEDULE OF UPCOMING GAMES - Shades, Plebe
MY DOO WOP BUDDIES - Bama fan, Jingo
THOSE WHO I THINK ARE CLOSE TO MY AGE - veryolddog, Kaizen
VISITORS FROM OTHER TEAMS - nwhoopfan, Conway Gmck, Gamecockfan 77, Secbbfan24, cockhrnleghrn, triaddukefan
There may be more but that is enough. Just expressing a desire that is Boneyard related.

A really great thread, Mr. Doowop. It's like some of you guys who have never met have known each other for forever.

No intention of hijacking your thread but there is a poster that doesn’t post much anymore that would be curious to meet. I've always admired the posts of icebear, always respectful, always thoughtful. Just seems like a great guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I graduated from Tech in 1959 and I rarely missed an Alan Freed rock-n-roll show [read doo wop] at the nearby Brooklyn Paramount theatre [ nydoowop.com ] .. it was a great time to be at Brooklyn Tech
I graduated from the oldest black high school West of the Mississippi, Sumner High, in 1959. I envy you and JordyG because you two were there actually experiencing what I could only read about. Some of the Big Shows came to St. Louis but I did not get to see them.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
You wisely included two of my younger brothers, @Sluconn Husky and @CocoHusky, but omitted a third, certain first ballot Boneyard Hall of Famer @MilfordHusky. They played basketball in the family driveway--yes, well before the Samuelson sisters did--all under the watchful eyes of our dad, @oldude.

By all means, meet the mishpucha.
Thank you for posting making this post. I forgot about Milford and you. Gotta want to meet any and all Huskies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I feel for you , Maestro. This week with all the unresolved trauma of Valentines day past hanging over us. Here is a little peace offering for you to give @donalddoowop .

'Bama...I think you mixed me up with mbr33ct....I'm msf22b
Interesting how may New Yorkers made the cut...although not on the list...I'm a Bronx boy who moved to the "Village" and never left.

Reaction Score
You're a NYC boy too? Glad to know you. Christ The King is the only NY HS that has the worlds biggest permanent parking lot. The valets there don't give tickets, only epithets. To work as a teacher there you have to have majored in exorcisms. The school fountains pump holy water. But, they sure produce basketball talent.
According to USA Today, the Christ the King girls program, when my two daughters played there, was the epicenter of national girls' high school basketball. The boys' program was no joke either. The infamous NBA all-star, Jayson Williams, went to CK with my older daughter. And two-time NBA titlist, the notorious Lamar Odom, attended classes with my younger daughter.
I taught mathematics at CK and after school was treated to quality basketball - both games and competitive practices - both boys & girls.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'm back in middle school.
Standing on the sideline after the teams were picked.
Pain.

Lots of room in Nerdsville. Apparently more of us were never picked for the team then were.

JordyG

Reaction Score
What year did you graduate from Tech ? I went there also.
Another Techboy? I'd have never known their were so many.
Nah, it's gotta be the name. I have to wear the more expensive cologne now. I used to wear some cheap stuff, but when I met/dated my 2nd wife said "that's the same stuff my dad wears, this ain't gonna work". And so it goes.
Married twice? As Sam Kineson said, dying doesn't frighten you since you already know the true meaning of hell. If you say there is a third I'm lighting a candle for you.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I graduated from Tech in 1959 and I rarely missed an Alan Freed rock-n-roll show [read doo wop] at the nearby Brooklyn Paramount theatre [ nydoowop.com ] .. it was a great time to be at Brooklyn Tech
I was too young for the Freed shows, although my sister ( who is ten years my senior) once told me while babysitting she and my other sister secretly took me to one of his shows. No, I became aware just before Murray The K took over the show. Those I rarely missed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom