OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 91 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big difference in taking a sabbatical from the game and taking a sabbatical from international play. At this stage his best bet to win titles is at the club level.

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Do you ever watch Zusi play in MLS? His set pieces and crosses are just as money. Yedlin put on a cross clinic in the 1st half against San Jose las night.

Only watch a little of MLS, but given that we typically didn't play Zusi all 90 in Brazil!, what happens when he's out? We saw what happened - we had Bradley kicking it way over everyone out of bounds and Bedoya putting it right on the head of the Belgium defender playing a one man zone in front of the near post. And Zusi really struggled after the Brooks goal on corners - alternated between not getting it past the first defender and hitting it over everyone. But the Brooks goal was a huge one, so i do think you let him keep taking them while he's out there (and our Plan Bs proved to be even worse). The only other possibility was Davis, but we couldn't keep him on the field.

Yedlin is going to take free kicks at the World Cup?

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Exactly.

Four year events like The World Cup and the Olympics feature tons of athletes in their final go round before retirement and motivation is rarely an issue, even if their roles are lessened from their prime. Just cause some dude at your office is mailing it in until he can collect social security doesn't mean that the same mentality holds for elite athletes.

Reaction Score
Only watch a little of MLS, but given that we typically didn't play Zusi all 90 in Brazil!, what happens when he's out? We saw what happened - we had Bradley kicking it way over everyone out of bounds and Bedoya putting it right on the head of the Belgium defender playing a one man zone in front of the near post. And Zusi really struggled after the Brooks goal on corners - alternated between not getting it past the first defender and hitting it over everyone. But the Brooks goal was a huge one, so i do think you let him keep taking them while he's out there (and our Plan Bs proved to be even worse). The only other possibility was Davis, but we couldn't keep him on the field.

Yedlin is going to take free kicks at the World Cup?

How many assists did Zusi have? 2?

It wouldn't surprise me if Yedlin takes free kicks at some point in the future. But his crosses in the World Cup gave us opportunities.

Sorry, but there are more than a few US players now that can bring what Landycakes does to the table.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My God, you really don't know anything about soccer, and yet continue to comment on it! First of all, let's put aside for a moment the fact that Sweden is a quality side who would easily qualify for the WC if they were in CONCACAF and they happen to have one of the top 10 strikers (arguably) in the entire world. Let's just focus on Portugal's "one man team":... But the idea that this is a "one man team" and that we only have to worry about Ronaldo is a ridiculous notion that is only held by ridiculous people...

I'm using this post as a example of what the work of a poser looks like. It was written in response to the prescient poster who said that Portugal was a one-man team. As we all know, that point was shown correct during the World Cup. It was proven more correct yesterday when Portugal, without the "one man" lost at home to Albania. The 70th ranked Albania. But that didn't stop AC from saying that anyone holding such a view doesn't "know anything about soccer" and is a ridiculous person. That's part of being on the Boneyard, you have to weed those folks that talk tough from those that actually know what they are talking about.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm using this post as a example of what the work of a poser looks like. It was written in response to the prescient poster who said that Portugal was a one-man team. As we all know, that point was shown correct during the World Cup. It was proven more correct yesterday when Portugal, without the "one man" lost at home to Albania. The 70th ranked Albania. But that didn't stop AC from saying that anyone holding such a view doesn't "know anything about soccer" and is a ridiculous person. That's part of being on the Boneyard, you have to weed those folks that talk tough from those that actually know what they are talking about.

Then you're a clown. Yes, they lost to Albania. They'll still get out of their group. You act as if none of the big European countries ever lose a game in group stages, which actually shows how little you know about the sport. When Italy tied freaking Armenia in World Cup Qualifying, did that make them a worthless team? Oh, by the way, you forgot to mention that Portugal was without 8 players from their World Cup squad, not just 1, but you probably didn't know that, huh?

It's more likely that you don't watch these players on a semi-regular basis for their club teams to understand their quality. Luckily for me, I don't need your buy-in. I have the buy-in of teams like Real Madrid (Pepe, Coentrao) and Monaco (Moutinho) and Manchester United (Nani). I'll take their soccer scouting knowledge over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bottom line, I was right and you were wrong. Instead of being a gentleman and admitting it, you are doubling down on the insults. That's what posers do.

The reason I am getting more and more into soccer is because it is a team game. My comments addressed how Portugal played as a team. Your response then and now is to point out how good individual players are. You miss the the very essence about what makes a winning team, you don't know what you are talking about. Trivia isn't analysis. You remind me of that guy in Annie Hall, the one in the movie queue pontificating about Marshall McLuhan.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Bottom line, I was right and you were wrong. Instead of being a gentleman and admitting it, you are doubling down on the insults. That's what posers do.

The reason I am getting more and more into soccer is because it is a team game. My comments addressed how Portugal played as a team. Your response then and now is to point out how good individual players are. You miss the the very essence about what makes a winning team, you don't know what you are talking about. Trivia isn't analysis. You remind me of that guy in Annie Hall, the one in the movie queue pontificating about Marshall McLuhan.

If you were looking for gentleman-like behavior, you should have exhibited some.

Now, onto your "being right". If you think one result in a qualification group stage makes you right, on top of the fact that you didn't know that they were missing 8 WC players instead of just 1, then you have more "getting into soccer" to do. If you don't like that I'm saying that, I'm very sorry. But by any metric available, Portugal is a quality TEAM. The fact that the United States tied them in the World Cup was more of a testament to the USA play than it was to Portugal not being a quality team. I mean, do you actually think that the USA is 5 goals better than Brazil, based on our 1 result against Germany??? That's "silly thinking." Don't be a victim to silly thinking...

Reaction Score
Since England won yesterday, they must be a sure fire bet to win Euro 2016 and the next World Cup. I know this because the English tabloids told me so.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Since England won yesterday, they must be a sure fire bet to win Euro 2016 and the next World Cup. I know this because the English tabloids told me so.

One game is all you need to know the answer, Zoo. One game is all you need to know the answer...

Reaction Score
I listen to SiriusXM way too much. Yesterday on the way home John Harkes and Tony Meola dedicated nearly all of their discussion to you guessed it... England. I guess this is because many of the listeners are Brit expats living in the US. The callers were obsessed with style of play. It seems that that a win isn't a win unless you play like Spain, dominating possession in doing so.

After that these other guys come on. A british host with grumpy American guy who always wants to either talk about Serie A, Jose Mourinho or Brazil. I can't remember their names. British guy calls in and asks why the Brits can't play Premier League style, physical attacking football. British host simply says: "If the Brits could have just played like the Americans did in the World Cup then they would have gone much further". Reminded me of Rio Ferdinand this summer saying that watching the US/Germany/Belgium games was like watching the EPL.

Anyways after watching our guys play a solid half against the Czechs I am really starting to believe that JK's philosophy is really starting to take hold. Now that he gets his own full four year cycle with our younger, more talented and impressionable players we could be in for some real fun.

Reaction Score
Anyways after watching our guys play a solid half against the Czechs I am really starting to believe that JK's philosophy is really starting to take hold. Now that he gets his own full four year cycle with our younger, more talented and impressionable players we could be in for some real fun.
This!! I'm more excited about the next 4 year cycle than I have ever been in the past (and I consider myself a relatively big fan). IMO the USMNT will have more quality depth and choices at pretty much every positions on the field by the time 2018 rolls around. I'm not saying that each position will have the best player in the history starting, just there will be better overall skill across the field and on the bench. It will be fun watching the younger talent develop and grow into leadership roles, and learning about some new names we've not had the exposure to.
Aside form the remaining 2014 friendlies (Ecuador, Honduras, and Ireland) 2015 has the Gold Cup, 2016 is the Copa America (cnanot wait for this!!) and CONCACAF WC qualifying, 2017 is more WC qualifying and likely the Confederations Cup, and that takes us to 2018!!! Oh, and throw in teh 2016 summer olympics for the US U23's (assuming they qualify). Fun times ahead.

Reaction Score
This!! I'm more excited about the next 4 year cycle than I have ever been in the past (and I consider myself a relatively big fan). IMO the USMNT will have more quality depth and choices at pretty much every positions on the field by the time 2018 rolls around. I'm not saying that each position will have the best player in the history starting, just there will be better overall skill across the field and on the bench. It will be fun watching the younger talent develop and grow into leadership roles, and learning about some new names we've not had the exposure to.
Aside form the remaining 2014 friendlies (Ecuador, Honduras, and Ireland) 2015 has the Gold Cup, 2016 is the Copa America (cnanot wait for this!!) and CONCACAF WC qualifying, 2017 is more WC qualifying and likely the Confederations Cup, and that takes us to 2018!!! Oh, and throw in teh 2016 summer olympics for the US U23's (assuming they qualify). Fun times ahead.

The best side effect is that it keeps the USMNT in the news cycle. We could get years like 2009 every year. The Confederation's Cup in 2009 was like getting a bonus World Cup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you were looking for gentleman-like behavior, you should have exhibited some.
Don't turn this around on me danny-boy. You went with name calling "know-nothing" and "ridiculous" right out of the gate to a post that had nothing to do with you. And you were totally wrong! And I have been a gentleman. My original comeback said you were an "a $ $ clown" but I changed it to the less inciteful but equally as accurate "poser".

... But by any metric available, Portugal is a quality TEAM. The fact that the United States tied them in the World Cup was more of a testament to the USA play than it was to Portugal not being a quality team. I mean, do you actually think that the USA is 5 goals better than Brazil, based on our 1 result against Germany??? That's "silly thinking." Don't be a victim to silly thinking...

"Silly-thinking", that's rich coming from you. I have no idea what that is. But I imagine it includes totally ignoring relevant facts while adding irrelevant details. Why no mention of that "quality" result the 1-man tean had against Germany? Or the fact that the points they did score were primarily the results of the 1-man.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Don't turn this around on me danny-boy. You went with name calling "know-nothing" and "ridiculous" right out of the gate to a post that had nothing to do with you. And you were totally wrong! And I have been a gentleman. My original comeback said you were an "a $ $ clown" but I changed it to the less inciteful but equally as accurate "poser".

"Silly-thinking", that's rich coming from you. I have no idea what that is. But I imagine it includes totally ignoring relevant facts while adding irrelevant details. Why no mention of that "quality" result the 1-man tean had against Germany? Or the fact that the points they did score were primarily the results of the 1-man.

I'm still waiting for an additionally uninformed post from you to tell me how the Netherlands sucks because they lost to the Czech Republic 2-1, yesterday. I know how much of a fan you are of putting big-time stock into losing the first game of Euro qualifying...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for an additionally uninformed post from you to tell me how the Netherlands sucks because they lost to the Czech Republic 2-1, yesterday. I know how much of a fan you are of putting big-time stock into losing the first game of Euro qualifying...

I win. You bobbed and weaved, yet never laid a glove on me.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I win. You bobbed and weaved, yet never laid a glove on me.

By the way, I just watched a condensed version of the game. Until now, I wasn't fully aware of how full of sheit you were. I knew you were full of sheit, but just not the degree. Portugal completely dominated that game. They easily should have won that game 4-0. It was by the absolute skin of their collective teeth that Albania won. Literally, a miracle. Here are some of the stats:

Portugal 64% of the possession
Portugal outshot Albania 19-2. That's not a typo. It was friggin' 19-2.
Albania committed 6 yellow card offenses.

So yeah...."bobbed and weaved"....but now I have proof that you didn't even bother to watch a single second of the game, yet you could definitively make a bold statement about a team. That's the measure of soccer fan that you are. Now I truly know what the "work of a poser" looks like, so thank you...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
By the way, I just watched a condensed version of the game. ...

Oh, so you admit that all that came before was just you just talking out of anal crevice again. Portugal lost at home in a game that counted against the 70th ranked team, that's a bad job no matter how you want to dress it up. One of your retorts was to compare that to NED losing away to the 35th ranked team. Only in your mind is that is that equivalent.

But again you miss the main point. You started by insulting me personally because you disagreed with an assertion I made (that had nothing to do with you). The quality of your argument has never progressed from there. I think you did this because at the start of the World Cup you were presenting yourself on the Yard as some kind of soccer maven. Any dissent had to be struck down. When non-fans and casual fans talk about arrogent, insulting soccer snobs they are talking about guys like you. Why do I get the feeling that when you are around true soccer aficionados you keep your mouth shut? You got nothing. But I do like the way when you say something especially stupid, you put it italics.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, so you admit that all that came before was just you just talking out of anal crevice again. Portugal lost at home in a game that counted against the 70th ranked team, that's a bad job no matter how you want to dress it up. One of your retorts was to compare that to NED losing away to the 35th ranked team. Only in your mind is that is that equivalent.

But again you miss the main point. You started by insulting me personally because you disagreed with an assertion I made (that had nothing to do with you). The quality of your argument has never progressed from there. I think you did this because at the start of the World Cup you were presenting yourself on the Yard as some kind of soccer maven. Any dissent had to be struck down. When non-fans and casual fans talk about arrogent, insulting soccer snobs they are talking about guys like you. Why do I get the feeling that when you are around true soccer aficionados you keep your mouth shut? You got nothing. But I do like the way when you say something especially stupid, you put it italics.

The quality of my argument stems from the fact that I'm right.

You believe that a team sucks if they lose 1-0 in a game where they out-shot the opponent 19-2 and had two thirds of the possession. You are content in making assertions that a team sucks without even having seen the team play. That's why you're a clown. So trust me, I will never waste more time arguing a soccer point with you on this board, primarily because I won't believe that you even watched the damned game...in italics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom