Boley Awarded National Gatorade Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Boley Awarded National Gatorade Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The high school awards continue with Erin Boley, from Elizabethtown, KY, being awarded the the National Gatorade Player of the Year Award. Maya Moore went to Boley's high school to present her the award. Apparently, in addition to her work on the court, academic achievement and other off-the-court activities factor into the designation. Boley has the #1 academic ranking in her class.
For those keeping track of all these various awards, here is where these awards stand (in alphabetical order):

Gatorade national player of the year: Erin Boley (ND)
Naismith award: Jackie Young (ND)
WBCA player of the year: Lauren Cox (Baylor)
Wooten award: Crystal Dangerfield (UConn)

Congrats to all four of the young women on their honors and achievements and look forward to seeing them in the next phase of their respective academic and athletic careers.

Here are a few links on Ms. Boley, one from USAToday/Courier-Journal and one from ND's sports information department, supplied by ND Women's BBball press maestro Chris Masters.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/boley-named-gatorade-national-player-of-the-year

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032316aab.html

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You got a good one in Boley. I was hoping she'd be wearing blue and white in college. Congrats to EB and ND.

Here's another article that describes Maya Moore's role a bit more. Maya apparently had a little fun messing with her. (I think Maya likes handing out these awards.)

LINK

Reaction Score
A curiosity question, why don't any UConn fans post on Mcgraws Bench? I read it upon occasion, but never post.

Reaction Score
Here's another article that describes Maya Moore's role a bit more. Maya apparently had a little fun messing with her. (I think Maya likes handing out these awards.)
LINK
Ahh...that was great! Here's a snippet:

Moore, the 2007 Gatorade National Player of the Year and one of Boley’s basketball heroes, set up the award presentation with a phone call to the high school star on Wednesday while she was working as an office aid during one of her class periods. Moore had tried to reach the 18-year-old by phone on Tuesday to invite her to the Jordan Brand Classic in Brooklyn, N.Y., next month, but Boley was at an award ceremony at the time and unavailable to take the WNBA star’s call.

“When she answered today, I reminded her that she missed my call,” said Moore, who was outside the office door when she called Boley on Wednesday. “And then when I walked in, she was in shock. She still had the phone up to her ear and didn’t really know what was going on. It was awesome.”

I can just picture it because this is precisely what EDD did to Lou last year when Katie Lou won the award.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The high school awards continue with Erin Boley, from Elizabethtown, KY, being awarded the the National Gatorade Player of the Year Award. Maya Moore went to Boley's high school to present her the award. Apparently, in addition to her work on the court, academic achievement and other off-the-court activities factor into the designation. Boley has the #1 academic ranking in her class.
For those keeping track of all these various awards, here is where these awards stand (in alphabetical order):

Gatorade national player of the year: Erin Boley (ND)
Naismith award: Jackie Young (ND)
WBCA player of the year: Lauren Cox (Baylor)
Wooten award: Crystal Dangerfield (UConn)

Congrats to all four of the young women on their honors and achievements and look forward to seeing them in the next phase of their respective academic and athletic careers.

Here are a few links on Ms. Boley, one from USAToday/Courier-Journal and one from ND's sports information department, supplied by ND Women's BBball press maestro Chris Masters.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/boley-named-gatorade-national-player-of-the-year

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032316aab.html

Boley is a really really great get for Notre Dame. She'll fit into the offense nicely as an outstanding stretch 4 who has great touch 20 feet and in. She might be one the most "college ready" out of the current crop of HS seniors. I wouldn't be surprised if she beats out Westbeld for the 4 spot next year.

HGN

Reaction Score
You got a good one in Boley. I was hoping she'd be wearing blue and white in college. Congrats to EB and ND.
Java , do you know whether UConn Offered Boley or not ? Anybody know . Just curious.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A curiosity question, why don't any UConn fans post on Mcgraws Bench? I read it upon occasion, but never post.

As a WBB enthusiast and a Notre Dame fan and alum, I'd personally welcome Boneyard input on the home or "du lac" board.
Have enjoyed and learned quite a bit during my time on the Boneyard.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wish we had gotten Erin too.

Wow--this is interesting. Four awards, four different players. No real consensus this year. Unlike the college level.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Java , do you know whether UConn Offered Boley or not ? Anybody know . Just curious.

Per this article, they did - http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...-elizabethtown-committed-basketball-greatness

"In fact, when Warden found out that UConn had offered a scholarship, that information didn't come from Boley.

"My mother told me," Warden said. "And when I asked Erin if it was true, she just whispered, 'Yes.' "

Warden is Erin's teammate and friend Rachel Warden. That article also says that Geno watched her sophomore year state title game in person.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Here's the video of the presentation. I think Boneyarders will get a kick out of Maya sassing Erin about missing her call and Erin's sheepish reaction.

Maya was great on all fronts....
"...knowing that Maya is part of the family as well...." -- Erin Boley.

Reaction Score
The Irish will now be set with as much talent as anyone. Next year they should come out of the gate as the favorite, perhaps even hard to beat.

But if they do win it all it won't be because they have the most talent, it will be because they have the best team. We've seen talent wasted in many programs, and it's no accident that Uconn and Nortre Dame have been in the Championship game either together or alone for the last seven years. Programs win and players are just pieces in a program.

Without the coaching that both programs have all that talent could, and probably would, be wasted.

Stewart changed the landscape for us, but I don't think that Stewie would have become Stewie someplace else.

There is more talent, more evenly distributed, in the WCBB game then ever before, but a few programs keep rising to the top. Next year several programs will, on the surface, have more talent than we will have, but is there anyone who thinks that we won't be in the mix come spring of '17?

For us next year will be a relief. Pundits will be encouraged to stop suggesting that we win because we have the most talent.
Next year it should become clear that we will win because we have the best program.

Reaction Score
Based on talent out of high school alone, I find it hard to believe that Muffet isn't favorite to win the next few championships with possibly Baylor giving them a run for their money. Next year's roster will have 8, count 'em, EIGHT McD All-Americans, including four that were considered HS player of the year of some sort. UConn will "only" have 4 plus a Canadian all-star. I'm interested to see if Muffet can pull it off like Geno has for all these years with that amount of talent.

Reaction Score

Was going to but they won't accept free email providers as your email address. Seemed like too much trouble to bother with

HGN

Reaction Score
Per this article, they did - http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...-elizabethtown-committed-basketball-greatness

"In fact, when Warden found out that UConn had offered a scholarship, that information didn't come from Boley.

"My mother told me," Warden said. "And when I asked Erin if it was true, she just whispered, 'Yes.' "

Warden is Erin's teammate and friend Rachel Warden. That article also says that Geno watched her sophomore year state title game in person.
Thanks Orangutan.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I used to post there, but they aren't friendly to UConn fans. Of course, the Boneyard became hostile towards ND fans when the Irish started beating the Huskies. So it goes with rivalries.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Irish will be one tough out next season. I'll worry about this season first, though. :)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I used to post there, but they aren't friendly to UConn fans. Of course, the Boneyard became hostile towards ND fans when the Irish started beating the Huskies. So it goes with rivalries.

Rivalries will carry that "40%-60%"edge...fine when you're outside of the zone but a little bit fractious when it hits the middle.

I became an active participant in "McGraw's Bench" about the same time as I did in the Boneyard. (I joined both because I'm a long-term enthusiast of WBB and a fan/alum of ND.) Flying Artichoke and a few others led/still lead the way there. However, there are a number of other new posters who have joined the ND board as well, and they are also bringing facts, stats, analysis and a love of WBB to the mix. A few of the long-term posters thought the board has improved, in part, because of it. So you might find a slightly different tonality there...although I might suggest waiting until after the NCAA tourney is over :)

Personally, I like what fans of all schools (UConn, ND, Maryland, South Carolina, Louisville, East Texas, high schools, etc.), as well as pros and the national team, bring to the mix...helps expand perspective. Keep the B-ball faith.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Here's the video of the presentation. I think Boneyarders will get a kick out of Maya sassing Erin about missing her call and Erin's sheepish reaction.

Shared this with my wife and daughter (a soph at ND) who normally don't quite go for the degree of detail I do in these things, but they loved the Maya Moore and presentation segments. Thanks again for passing along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom