Boise State's move to BE held up by home for its other sports;SDSU wants in, undecided | The Boneyard

Boise State's move to BE held up by home for its other sports;SDSU wants in, undecided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boise State beat writer for Idaho Statesman tweeted this info tonight. Comes from Boise State's President at their press conference to announce their new AD.

Big West would probably take SDSU, but may not want Boise State, which would leave the Big Sky as the only real option for them. Air Force being on the fence is consistent with the writer covering them. He thinks Air Force declines.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SDSU is kind of puzzling. They draw friends and family to their games, in part because no one cares about SDSU, and in part because it is freaking San Diego. I wouldn't go to a football game either if I lived there.

I wonder what happened with Nevada. They didn't even get a sniff.

Reaction Score
SDSU is kind of puzzling. They draw friends and family to their games, in part because no one cares about SDSU, and in part because it is freaking San Diego. I wouldn't go to a football game either if I lived there.

Do you think that maybe adding SDSU is a concession to help entice Navy since S.D. is such a huge naval department area of operations?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
They are waiting for the coaches to move on too announce. If its a Big East program than the coaches must be one foot out the door.

Meanwhile UCLA is kicking the tires in Boise and needs to sweeten the pot

>> UCLA is looking for a replacement for recently fired coach Rick Neuheisel, but their reported first choice won't be talking to the Bruins any time soon. UCLA inquired about Boise State coach Chris Petersen, but the school has been told he will not be a candidate, a source told ESPN.com's Joe Schad.

Newly hired Boise State athletic director Mark Coyle made it known in his introductory news conference Thursday that keeping Petersen was one of his top priorities. <<

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/...w-chris-petersen-talk-ucla-bruins-source-says

And Texas A&M is kicking the tires in Houston:

>> Houston's Kevin Sumlin is A&M's top choice, a source told Schad, with Louisville's Charlie Strong, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart and Southern Mississippi's Larry Fedora also under consideration. <<

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7304629/texas-aggies-fire-football-coach-mike-sherman

Reaction Score
Thete just aren't that many western teams available. Presumably SDSU has the tv market, deserved reputation as a vacation destination, lots of transplants that help put some fans in the seats, and for Boise maintains a California presence.

Looks like this will either be announced right before xmas. Enough time for Providence to screw it up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I keep saying this, but adding FB only teams is too complicated to work. BYU has that deal (and Navy, Army), and SDSU might be able to get it (in part thanks to the strong BB team last year perhaps), but nobody will want Boise's other sports programs, which are awful. It is not a slam dunk that it will be possible to create a conference with FB only members at all. I tend to doubt it. Boise has great football now, but everything else about it is a negative as a potential all sports conference member.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I keep saying this, but adding FB only teams is too complicated to work. BYU has that deal (and Navy, Army), and SDSU might be able to get it (in part thanks to the strong BB team last year perhaps), but nobody will want Boise's other sports programs, which are awful. It is not a slam dunk that it will be possible to create a conference with FB only members at all. I tend to doubt it. Boise has great football now, but everything else about it is a negative as a potential all sports conference member.

I somewhat agree. Taking 10 BE all sports football and adding Navy and Air Force as football only to get a Conference Championship game at Yankee Stadium made sense to me.

These other Western half breeds--I don't know. Boise and a "Western Division" may not be worth the price. Boise and BYU and Air Force? OK. Maybe.

SDSU, Nevada, Utah State and Hawaii as football only? Now we are into Kluge City.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree. Taking 10 BE all sports football and adding Navy and Air Force as football only to get a Conference Championship game at Yankee Stadium made sense to me.

These other Western half breeds--I don't know. Boise and a "Western Division" may not be worth the price. Boise and BYU and Air Force? OK. Maybe.

SDSU, Nevada, Utah State and Hawaii as football only? Now we are into Kluge City.

Then there's the doubt about whether AQ status exists or is relevant by the time this conference comes together. If not, we'd much rather invite a Tulsa or Tulane than Boise and SDSU. More geographically appropriate, both are solid academically, and have some history of good teams in a range of sports. Temple would need to be considered for sure. I think this is one of the hold-ups. Schools are discombobulating themselves in search of the AQ holy grail, and the grail may be gone by the time they are done.

This doesn't much affect UCF, SMU and Houston, as they'd be better off with the BE leftovers anyway. But the BB teams don't want any of them if there is no Boise to keep the AQ status. I still think this thing is likely DOA.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Then there's the doubt about whether AQ status exists or is relevant by the time this conference comes together. If not, we'd much rather invite a Tulsa or Tulane than Boise and SDSU. More geographically appropriate, both are solid academically, and have some history of good teams in a range of sports. Temple would need to be considered for sure. I think this is one of the hold-ups. Schools are discombobulating themselves in search of the AQ holy grail, and the grail may be gone by the time they are done.

This doesn't much affect UCF, SMU and Houston, as they'd be better off with the BE leftovers anyway. But the BB teams don't want any of them if there is no Boise to keep the AQ status. I still think this thing is likely DOA.

This clearly illustrates the problem with a hybrid conference and the reason it cannot really succeed.

I don't know how true the statements on Boise St not yet having accepted due to a home for their other sports or the catholics not allowing expansion without Boise St but each is very plausible. As the football members have to add credible members regardless of whether they do or do not maintain the conference's AQ status, the idea that they cannot yet offer UCF, SMU and Houston (which will for the moment replace Cuse, Pitt & WVU, returning us in terms of numbers to where we were for the past half dozen years) demonstrates that when the interests of one (in this case football) may be vieweed as detrimental to the interests of the other (in this case hoops), one faction will suffer (or possibly a compromise will be reached that to some extent hurts both).

If the reality is that we cannot expand if Boise doesn't join for football (I want to know what the purpose of the announcement a month ago that the vote to expand was unanimous), the BE football conference is dead as soon as the departing members leave. This is not an opinion, it is the rule of the NCAA.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This clearly illustrates the problem with a hybrid conference and the reason it cannot really succeed.
If the reality is that we cannot expand if Boise doesn't join for football (I want to know what the purpose of the announcement a month ago that the vote to expand was unanimous), the BE football conference is dead as soon as the departing members leave. This is not an opinion, it is the rule of the NCAA.

Which is why I think we have two options beyond hoping for an invite. One, stick with the BE BB teams and add Temple, UMass and maybe just UCF and call it a conference. Nova when ready for FB. Maybe Delaware is looking to upgrade.

Option 2, dump the BB only schools and form a cross-continent all sports league with east and west divisions. Cherry pick from CUSA, WAC and MWC. Go to 16 to mitigate travel for Olympic sports (operate like two 8 team leagues for the most part).

This other Frankenstein designed monster isn't getting up off the table.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is this the freaking NFL? I totally understand the fright/plight of the BE,, but to have a collegiate conference that stretches all the way North and South and from the East coast to the West coast just isn't college sports as it should be. I don't think it's all that old fashioned to think that the essence of sports is competition AND rivalries. It's getting very hard to be interested in too many of UConn's games. The BE, or the Big Blob, would resemble the geography of every major pro sports league in the US. If anyone thinks UConn's attendance issues are going to improve with the departure of SU, Pitt, LVille and WV and the addition of almost any of the programs under discussion, they are out of their minds.

Reaction Score
The essence of sports, college sports.....college football more specifically, is MONEY. It stopped being competition and rivalries a long time ago, sadly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is this the freaking NFL? I totally understand the fright/plight of the BE,, but to have a collegiate conference that stretches all the way North and South and from the East coast to the West coast just isn't college sports as it should be. I don't think it's all that old fashioned to think that the essence of sports is competition AND rivalries. It's getting very hard to be interested in too many of UConn's games. The BE, or the Big Blob, would resemble the geography of every major pro sports league in the US. If anyone thinks UConn's attendance issues are going to improve with the departure of SU, Pitt, LVille and WV and the addition of almost any of the programs under discussion, they are out of their minds.
Do you have a better suggestiom than the schools we are looking to add?

Reaction Score
Is this the freaking NFL? I totally understand the fright/plight of the BE,, but to have a collegiate conference that stretches all the way North and South and from the East coast to the West coast just isn't college sports as it should be. I don't think it's all that old fashioned to think that the essence of sports is competition AND rivalries. It's getting very hard to be interested in too many of UConn's games. The BE, or the Big Blob, would resemble the geography of every major pro sports league in the US. If anyone thinks UConn's attendance issues are going to improve with the departure of SU, Pitt, LVille and WV and the addition of almost any of the programs under discussion, they are out of their minds.[/

Where's Louisville going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger