Boise St to the AAC? | The Boneyard

Boise St to the AAC?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Do we always follow through with those we flirt with?

Twitter is loving it. How does Boise St recruit Cali so hard (as it has for years) when it has to visit the EST on a regular basis?

Reaction Score
Overall it’s the right move. However this super charges the AAC into massive instability once 2025 comes around. There might be a ton of hurt feelings if power conference spots open up. It’s a really good school that deserves the notch up. I’d be happy for them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He projected an increase of $4 million in additional revenue from television and media rights deals, College Football Playoff and Bowl Game Distribution and NCAA Tournament basketball payouts from a move to the American. Larrondo also projected an increase of $2.75 million in ticket revenue for football and men’s basketball games.

In all Larrondo sees the potential for an “increased revenue impact resulting from a move to the AAC” of $10.5 million.

But note: Larrondo departed (pushed out?)as Boise St athletic directly shortly after these emails and Boise St said under FOIA that there are no follow ups.

Reaction Score
Power 6 is a money related thing. That conference just isn’t going to get the money to compete.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Boise only wants to go to the AAC because we left;)

Reaction Score
I’d think they would need some other Western schools to add to the mix. Maybe UNLV or even BYU? Definitely could grab NM State out of the Sun Belt.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think after this season and the financial strains all of these schools faced, we're going to see a seismic shift in CFB. I think the realignment scenarios we used to look at it will be nothing. I can see a breakoff of the top schools in CFB and go with the money. Let's be honest, they are the ones that pull in the money, that TV want, and who really have any chance at being a "champion". The NCAA is broke and the pandemic destroyed them. I'm not sure I see them able to hold off a split if it happens.

Reaction Score
I mean it's already better than the Pac-12.
I agree but I think of power conference in terms of money made. Can’t see ESPN magically opening up a check book

Reaction Score
SInce Boise St. moved to the Mountain West Conference in 2011, Boise St. has been a good team but not the top team that people remember. Their first year, they were 12-1 and ranked 6 in the Coaches poll, but the last 6 years, they have been ranked 3 times with the highest ranking of 22. I think the AAC would be better off adding BYU as a 12th member for football only.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
weren’t they in the proto-AAC with San Diego state and then backed out?

Reaction Score
Boise State could join the Independent ranks (UConn, BYU, Army, UMass, Liberty, New Mex St). Either these guys form a football-only conference/alliance or G5 start adding football-only members. It seems it would make sense for the AAC or the MAC to make a move.

A useful site: NCAA Maps - Sport League Maps : Maps of Sports Leagues

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The invisible hand in all of this is ESPN. Does ESPN want to add Boise State to the AAC contract? Would they really give the AAC a "full share" (aka pro-rata increase) for Boise State? 10 years ago the obvious answer was yes, but these days I'm not so sure. ESPN has already planted their flag on the SEC, ACC with the existing MAC and AAC product used to fill the programming gaps. Those gaps are filled. A more disciplined approach to programming would say don't overpay for the filler.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think after this season and the financial strains all of these schools faced, we're going to see a seismic shift in CFB. I think the realignment scenarios we used to look at it will be nothing. I can see a breakoff of the top schools in CFB and go with the money. Let's be honest, they are the ones that pull in the money, that TV want, and who really have any chance at being a "champion". The NCAA is broke and the pandemic destroyed them. I'm not sure I see them able to hold off a split if it happens.

This will happen very quickly if congress decides athletes are entitled to more money based off their name and recognition. Schools will absolutely use whatever accounting tricks they can use to show they don't have a profit to distribute to athletes, but once those are used up and pie size starts shrinking they will break away to maximize revenue and minimize the number of schools splitting that revenue.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This will happen very quickly if congress decides athletes are entitled to more money based off their name and recognition. Schools will absolutely use whatever accounting tricks they can use to show they don't have a profit to distribute to athletes, but once those are used up and pie size starts shrinking they will break away to maximize revenue and minimize the number of schools splitting that revenue.
Here lies the problem with revenue sharing, its ripe for unending class action lawsuits. The schools will be in permanent litigation hell.

It will be far easier and more prudent to immediately cease using any athlete names in any marketing and merchandise materials then to try to do a revenue share. Say goodbye to athlete's names/faces on merchandise and promotional materials.

Reaction Score
Th
Do we always follow through with those we flirt with?

Twitter is loving it. How does Boise St recruit Cali so hard (as it has for years) when it has to visit the EST on a regular basis?

That's actually a good look....We were just horrible at it... no, awful....

Reaction Score
The invisible hand in all of this is ESPN. Does ESPN want to add Boise State to the AAC contract? Would they really give the AAC a "full share" (aka pro-rata increase) for Boise State? 10 years ago the obvious answer was yes, but these days I'm not so sure. ESPN has already planted their flag on the SEC, ACC with the existing MAC and AAC product used to fill the programming gaps. Those gaps are filled. A more disciplined approach to programming would say don't overpay for the filler.

Under the new TV deal, Boise State is exclusively home games on FOX so if you're ESPN, you get to add Boise State to your inventory and push some of their games behind the ESPN+ paywall further increasing subscriber base. Seems like a no brainer. If they are willing to pay the AAC pro rata basis for any football team in that conference including Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, USF, ECU, Temple, that have minimal alumni bases, poor fan support even when their teams are good and zero brand recognition, then they would pay it for Boise State that actually has brand recognition in the sport.

If you're Boise State I would be careful, though. Yes you will get some more revenue from the TV deal but still significantly trailing the P5 conferences, plus all the other caveats including ESPN+ and paying for your own production studios. In addition, I would not expect a significant recruiting bump going from MWC to AAC and the additional travel expenses could eat at any gains in TV $$$. It could even hurt recruiting having to travel very far for every single game. The closest school is Tulsa and that is far. They also get to be a big fish in a small pond in MWC. They could very well suffer the same fate as Cuse & Pitt going to the ACC that you become a small fish in a bigger pond.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Under the new TV deal, Boise State is exclusively home games on FOX so if you're ESPN, you get to add Boise State to your inventory and push some of their games behind the ESPN+ paywall further increasing subscriber base. Seems like a no brainer. If they are willing to pay the AAC pro rata basis for any football team in that conference including Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, USF, ECU, Temple, that have minimal alumni bases, poor fan support even when their teams are good and zero brand recognition, then they would pay it for Boise State that actually has brand recognition in the sport.

If you're Boise State I would be careful, though. Yes you will get some more revenue from the TV deal but still significantly trailing the P5 conferences, plus all the other caveats including ESPN+ and paying for your own production studios. In addition, I would not expect a significant recruiting bump going from MWC to AAC and the additional travel expenses could eat at any gains in TV $$$. It could even hurt recruiting having to travel very far for every single game. The closest school is Tulsa and that is far. They also get to be a big fish in a small pond in MWC. They could very well suffer the same fate as Cuse & Pitt going to the ACC that you become a small fish in a bigger pond.
I agree with all your points about the risk here for Boise St. I think the AAC would be really bad for their recruiting and eventually bad for their fan base (Temple, ECU, Tulsa, USF games on a regular basis?)

But for ESPN is it such a no brainer these days? I could see the more cost conscience ESPN deciding it already has what it needs from the current AAC in terms of markets. Boise St really just would be adding a few intermtn west markets. And why bet on Boise St continuing to be special when ESPN can just use their subtle media influence to hype up existing AAC teams already under their thumb.

IDK - maybe the numbers for ESPN are clearly advantageous for the Boise St add, its an interesting opportunity.

Reaction Score
just spit-ballin' but perhaps Aresco considers making a bold move in this rodeo and invites Boise St, UConn and Liberty to bring the conference to 14 with 4 football-only. Then go to 16. It's the G5 and your teams are shut out of the play-offs so why not go extra-large.

Reaction Score
I agree with all your points about the risk here for Boise St. I think the AAC would be really bad for their recruiting and eventually bad for their fan base (Temple, ECU, Tulsa, USF games on a regular basis?)

But for ESPN is it such a no brainer these days? I could see the more cost conscience ESPN deciding it already has what it needs from the current AAC in terms of markets. Boise St really just would be adding a few intermtn west markets. And why bet on Boise St continuing to be special when ESPN can just use their subtle media influence to hype up existing AAC teams already under their thumb.

IDK - maybe the numbers for ESPN are clearly advantageous for the Boise St add, its an interesting opportunity.

You could be right. I guess i just view it as if you can pay $7 million less production costs and getting shoved behind ESPN+ paywall to bad and non-existent football brands that make up half of the conference or even more, it's a real bargain to give that same balance to Boise State and poach from a competitor.

Reaction Score
I’d think they would need some other Western schools to add to the mix. Maybe UNLV or even BYU? Definitely could grab NM State out of the Sun Belt.
Should be easy to get NM State out of the Sun Belt, since they aren't in the SB. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom