Bob Valvano rant on UF vs Louisville talking heads postgame. | The Boneyard

Bob Valvano rant on UF vs Louisville talking heads postgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great rant by Bob Valvano. Media needs to call ESPiN out more often. They are so ridiculous bias it is sickening.

Reaction Score
This assessment was fair. Herbstreet has really turned into a tool. Not to the Stephen A Smith level, but a too nonetheless...........

Reaction Score
This assessment was fair. Herbstreet has really turned into a tool. Not to the Stephen A Smith level, but a too nonetheless...........

Mark May level??

mark may.jpg

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
"Valvano's comments point to a huge issue that plagues sports analysis in 2013. Results are less meaningful than the narrative. When the latter should be constructed around the former, it always seems to be the other way around. Florida beats Louisville, fine, Florida is the much stronger team playing in a much stronger conference. Louisville beats Florida comprehensively, well, it must be because Florida wasn't ready or couldn't get up for the game.

But when you break down the narrative as expertly as Valvano did, you see that it routinely falls apart. Florida wasn't ready to play Louisville? Then why does ESPN hype the Sugar Bowl as one of the bowls that "actually matter." Nowhere is this problem more evident than college football, where championships are won with polls, media coverage, and reputation. As Valvano said so well, the whole point of playing the game is to actually have the result come out on the field and not the debate room."

Spot--on. And why I never became a fan of college football - at its heart, it's prom queen popularity contest bullsh!t.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger question is how Florida needed 2 touchdowns in the final 1:42 to beat UL-Lafayette. At home.

That also doesn't fit the SEC narrative.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger question is how Florida needed 2 touchdowns in the final 1:42 to beat UL-Lafayette. At home.

That also doesn't fit the SEC narrative.

Game 1: 48 - 20
Game 2: 70 - 33

One of these games is looked at as the biggest blowout and mismatch in the BCS era, and exemplified everything that was wrong with the BCS, the Big East, and the losing team. It would haunt them for years.

The other was swept under the rug less than a week after it happened, never to be heard from again.

duck* the BCS, and Sports Media.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If the Big East stayed together it would been a better league than the ACC in football and basketball. Instead they all paniced and left for "greener" pasture. '

I hate ESPN because they caused all of this..

Reaction Score
If the Big East stayed together it would been a better league than the ACC in football and basketball. Instead they all paniced and left for "greener" pasture. '

I hate ESPN because they caused all of this..
Some on this board would tell you they didn't, yet here you have an ESPN employee talking about how to be taken seriously you had to denigrate the Big East and openly praise the SEC.

What could have been.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Some on this board would tell you they didn't, yet here you have an ESPN employee talking about how to be taken seriously you had to denigrate the Big East and openly praise the SEC.

What could have been.

Did you read to the bottom?

but I will tell you this, other than if it's a possible lawsuit, they never tell their on-air talent what opinion to take

Reaction Score
I listened to the whole thing. Yeah I heard that. He said that, while interrupting his producer who was in the process of inserting his foot in his mouth. The narrative doesn't do interaction notice.

The point remains the same, it was never about the big east not winning enough, if when they did the first reaction is to make excuses as to why the other team lost.

Reaction Score
I listened to the whole thing. Yeah I heard that. He said that, while interrupting his producer who was in the process of inserting his foot in his mouth. The narrative doesn't do interaction notice.

The point remains the same, it was never about the big east not winning enough, if when they did the first reaction is to make excuses as to why the other team lost.

Twenty years of leadership by Mike Tranghese, allowed this to happen. It only got worse, year by year. As the basketball league flourished, the football league was allowed to be crapped on.

Anybody think Jim Delany, MIke Slive.......Chuck Neinas? would have allowed the media to do what they did to the big east?

Leadership. I really think Big East football needs to rebrand itself and start from scratch.

THe louisville v florida game and the media response, has got to be the straw that breaks the back.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

That it isn't about wins and losses has been clear for a long time. The hivemind and lack of being able to say - I was wrong - isn't a rare phenomenon nor is it exclusive to ESPN.

Reaction Score
Twenty years of leadership by Mike Tranghese, allowed this to happen. It only got worse, year by year. As the basketball league flourished, the football league was allowed to be crapped on.

Anybody think Jim Delany, MIke Slive.......Chuck Neinas? would have allowed the media to do what they did to the big east?

Leadership. I really think Big East football needs to rebrand itself and start from scratch.

THe louisville v florida game and the media response, has got to be the straw that breaks the back.
It's over bro. The big east or what is left of it, is now officially a mid major. From a have to a have not. Mission accomplished by those determined eradicate it. Once the BCS moniker was lifted, all that was left was the Big East re inventing itself as East/West compilation of the best of the rest and claim that 7th bcs bowl slot more often than not. Even that attempt has been torpedoed by throwing the MWC a few extra scraps.

Now that I got my negative outlook/perspective out the way, the only thing UConn/We can do is dominate this league in every sport. Enough of the happy horseshit, if P shows no progress this year.... bye bye. Use your share of the exit money to try and lure a top flight coach. There is no reason for us to not emerge as a power in football and basketball in this league. None.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Game 1: 48 - 20
Game 2: 70 - 33

One of these games is looked at as the biggest blowout and mismatch in the BCS era, and exemplified everything that was wrong with the BCS, the Big East, and the losing team. It would haunt them for years.

The other was swept under the rug less than a week after it happened, never to be heard from again.

duck* the BCS, and Sports Media.

Without a doubt. Newbie Connecticut gave a much better game to OU than did almighty ND to Bama...

Reaction Score
I think 70-33, refers to beatdown WVU put on Clemson. It begs the question why weren't Clemson/the ACC raked over the coals over that result?

Reaction Score
I think 70-33, refers to beatdown WVU put on Clemson. It begs the question why weren't Clemson/the ACC raked over the coals over that result?

Yea sorry, 48-20 is OK-UConn, 70-33 is WVU-Clemson.

Narrative for us was that we didn't belong in the game and were terrible and didn't bring any fans, narrative for WVU-Clem was that WVU offense was amazing, a thing of beauty.

again, **** sports media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104